ADVERTISEMENT

Head coach at MANATEE OUT

I personally think Chris Conboy can get Manatee back on track. He was there under Kinnan. He is a great offensive mind and knows what it takes to be a state championship team.

I personally think Chris Conboy can get Manatee back on track. He was there under Kinnan. He is a great offensive mind and knows what it takes to be a state championship team.

I totally disagree!

Go Canes Go!

Based on what I saw from the list, I'd be happy with the guy from Cardinal Mooney.

Go Canes Go!

Rumor is mooney coach or peacock. Peacock did not apply but probably had contact with manatee regarding position

What the Cardinal Mooney coach can bring to Manatee is going to be ideal, for breaking away from any remaining ties to Joe. I've seen enough already to be more than convinced this guy is and can be a winner..........and at Manatee while there is some foundation work to be done, he already has tradition in place. I think he's up for the job, because he has leadership qualities Booth lacked in heading up a big time program.

Go Canes Go!

In the past many of the Manatee folk with self-professed inside knowledge, have talked a lot of chit regarding Peacocks inability to coach up his players. Then this past year I have to admit, I began having a much lower opinion of him due to the way he approached the STA, that to me obviously translated to his players as well......... as the staff and the players went into the game not planning on winning.

I'm not sold on Callahan either at Manatee. I've always had a very low opinion of Conboy, but have to admit.......... that I may have a bias here, that prevents me from looking at him objectively?

I prefer seeing a hire that has some prior tie to the Manatee High football program, whether it be a former player or someone that's coached under Joe. Wondering to myself if the HBC at Cardinal Mooney might be interested in the Manatee Job......didn't he come from the DBP program?

DREW LASCARI
HEAD FOOTBALL COACH
Coach Lascari is the Cardinal Mooney Head Football Coach. Before arriving at Mooney, Coach Lascari served as the Offensive Coordinator for Don Bosco Prep in Ramsey, NJ. Coach Lascari was hired by Don Bosco in 2010 and was on staff for the 2011 National Championship team. Since 2010, Coach Lascari won 2 state titles with Don Bosco. Coach Lascari played football at Cortland State University in New York and earned Academic All American honors. Coach Lascari then went on to earn his Masters Degree in Sports Management at Columbia University in New York City.

Go Canes Go!
Mentioned him here 1st, when the hiring process first started!

Go Canes Go!

Coach Doug Nichols of Kissimmee Osceola has applied and he has ties to Manatee AD Danielle LaPoint when they both were at Liberty High. Coach Nichols has lead Osceola to two state finals losing to STA in 2014 and then to Flanagan in 2015. Since returning to Osceola in 2010 he has a 76-17 record. He has won their district every year he's been there I think?

Coach Doug Nichols of Kissimmee Osceola has applied and he has ties to Manatee AD Danielle LaPoint when they both were at Liberty High. Coach Nichols has lead Osceola to two state finals losing to STA in 2014 and then to Flanagan in 2015. Since returning to Osceola in 2010 he has a 76-17 record. He has won their district every year he's been there I think?
Well if Lapoint is looking to put her stamp on the old cliche statement "The good ole boy network" she can hire her boy Nichols. I'm not impressed..........TWC249 have you even taken the time to see what kind of offense he runs?.......I convinced the guy from Mooney is the only obvious choice.......if were not going to be able to bring in a real splash kind of coaching personality like Sexy from Apopka.........

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
Drew Lascari of Mooney is a good young coach who has been an assistant coach at some outstanding programs! Doug Nichols is a veteran and proven winner. Coach Lascari might be the choice mainly due to pay! Or maybe Conboy? The Conboy situation is interesting? He would probably bring Kinnan back as the OC or in some other capacity ? Joe has publicly said he wouldn't mind coming back and helping out. He's just is not interested in being the head guy!
First of all, the hire wouldn't be all LaPoints decision! Principal Don Saur has said he will make the hire. So this is not a good ole boy hire at all. The problem has been money? We probably aren't talking about any of these guys if that wasn't the issue!! It is going to be interesting. Everyone that is close to the program doesn't even know who the guy might be?

The Conboy situation is interesting? He would probably bring Kinnan back as the OC or in some other capacity ? Joe has publicly said he wouldn't mind coming back and helping out. He's just is not interested in being the head guy!
First of all, the hire wouldn't be all LaPoints decision! Principal Don Saur has said he will make the hire. So this is not a good ole boy hire at all.

Clarify please. Are you insinuating that because the principal claims he's hiring and if he hired Conboy and Conboy brings Kinnan back (in any capacity) that it wouldn't be a "good ole boy hire at all." Am I reading that correctly?

If so, you don't know school boards well because that scenario as you lay it out isn't going to happen. Any Manatee principal in the recent post-Kinnan era, was placed there specifically to put a lid on anything that resembles impropriety. That's why he's claiming he's doing it.

If I'm reading what you wrote correctly, you must have missed the article in the Bradenton Herald about Kinnan's Lawsuit against the school board a month ago.

I asked Gatorman if there were any chance the school board had eased up, he said no. Pretty sure he's right after I saw this article.

Kinnan files amended lawsuit against school board and Rick Mills
http://www.bradenton.com/news/local/education/article138224343.html

Last edited:
Clarify please. Are you insinuating that because the principal claims he's hiring and if he hired Conboy and Conboy brings Kinnan back (in any capacity) that it wouldn't be a "good ole boy hire at all." Am I reading that correctly?

If so, you don't know school boards well because that scenario as you lay it out isn't going to happen. Any Manatee principal in the recent post-Kinnan era, was placed there specifically to put a lid on anything that resembles impropriety. That's why he's claiming he's doing it.

If I'm reading what you wrote correctly, you must have missed the article in the Bradenton Herald about Kinnan's Lawsuit against the school board a month ago.

I asked Gatorman if there were any chance the school board had eased up, he said no. Pretty sure he's right after I saw this article.

Kinnan files amended lawsuit against school board and Rick Mills
http://www.bradenton.com/news/local/education/article138224343.html
Silver, my take on all of this based on what I've read, my own personal read on people, and the situation in general from what I've through living the experience of life in general has taught me. The Mooney coach allows a clean break from the past, with a young man that appears to have what I deem as the attributes necessary to build back a storied program to its championship past!

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
What makes Lascari good. What has he done at mooney besides barely make the playoffs in a terrible district. Never won districts. What makes home good? Where he came from. I have a hard time time seeing him being around long if he gets the job.

What makes Lascari good. What has he done at mooney besides barely make the playoffs in a terrible district. Never won districts. What makes home good? Where he came from. I have a hard time time seeing him being around long if he gets the job.
So Lascari isn't qualified and he's done nothing in his short two years or anything prior to his time at Cardnial Mooney to warrant him consideration for the HBC position at Manatee HS??????

So what about his time as the OC at Don Bosco during which time DBP won a mythical national championship, oh get this as a side note.......beat STA regularly with what was deemed inferior teams each time! Then he come behind Josh Smithers and takes the HBC job there. What does he do......... immediately he upgrades the schedule at Mooney from the weak ass schedule Smithers played by adding almost 1/2 the schedule with teams from higher classifications......including Venice HS......so he wins 2 games his 1st season, but still qualifies Mooney for the playoffs that first season. Oh then get this by his second season the Mooney program explodes with participation to over 80 players by his second season, but guess what happens on the field? That second season those teams from higher classifications that beat Mooney the 1st season, his team is now beating..... and finished up with a 8-3 record.....all 3 losses coming to playoff teams.......

He may not ultimately last at Manatee if he's selected to be the HBC, but it wont be because he wasn't any good. It will probably come down to better money at a nationally known program.......because he'll have gotten himself nationally recognized as a tremendous HBC while at Manatee. Right now Manatee needs a coach like Lascari......to rebuild it at its core foundation, as well as finally break free of the Joe Kinnan era..........winning wise he immediately makes Manatee viable beyond a another 1st round one and done that Booth would have led Manatee to.

Go Canes Go!

Bradentucky, TWC should know better, but I told some other guy that just got on here, you'll find there are some fairly savvy (is the word I think I used), football guys on here.

So Lascari isn't qualified and he's done nothing in his short two years or anything prior to his time at Cardnial Mooney to warrant him consideration for the HBC position at Manatee HS??????

So what about his time as the OC at Don Bosco during which time DBP won a mythical national championship, oh get this as a side note.......beat STA regularly with what was deemed inferior teams each time! Then he come behind Josh Smithers and takes the HBC job there. What does he do......... immediately he upgrades the schedule at Mooney from the weak ass schedule Smithers played by adding almost 1/2 the schedule with teams from higher classifications......including Venice HS......so he wins 2 games his 1st season, but still qualifies Mooney for the playoffs that first season. Oh then get this by his second season the Mooney program explodes with participation to over 80 players by his second season, but guess what happens on the field? That second season those teams from higher classifications that beat Mooney the 1st season, his team is now beating..... and finished up with a 8-3 record.....all 3 losses coming to playoff teams.......

He may not ultimately last at Manatee if he's selected to be the HBC, but it wont be because he wasn't any good. It will probably come down to better money at a nationally known program.......because he'll have gotten himself nationally recognized as a tremendous HBC while at Manatee. Right now Manatee needs a coach like Lascari......to rebuild it at its core foundation, as well as finally break free of the Joe Kinnan era..........winning wise he immediately makes Manatee viable beyond a another 1st round one and done that Booth would have led Manatee to.

Go Canes Go!

Actually the old mooney coach made the schedule for Drews first year. Drew then changed it to make it easier by removing Venice and some others. What was his most significant win last year after he changed the schedule to make it easier? I went to a mooney JV game and they had about 25 kids while the varsity had about 35. I'm not saying he's a bad coach I'm just saying he has done anything to warrant being the head coach at Manatee. I just don't think he will be there long.

Drew Lascari of Mooney is a good young coach who has been an assistant coach at some outstanding programs! Doug Nichols is a veteran and proven winner. Coach Lascari might be the choice mainly due to pay! Or maybe Conboy? The Conboy situation is interesting? He would probably bring Kinnan back as the OC or in some other capacity ? Joe has publicly said he wouldn't mind coming back and helping out. He's just is not interested in being the head guy!
First of all, the hire wouldn't be all LaPoints decision! Principal Don Saur has said he will make the hire. So this is not a good ole boy hire at all. The problem has been money? We probably aren't talking about any of these guys if that wasn't the issue!! It is going to be interesting. Everyone that is close to the program doesn't even know who the guy might be?

DIdnt yalls paper up there in Bradenton say that Sauer is out to be a downtown administrator (lol @ Manatee Co- adding fat while their teachers fight for crumbs) and you got the principal from Bayshore Mr Underhill... I think that was in the BH a couple weeks ago

Funny thing what a stable full of athletes can do for a coaching career.

That will be part of Lascari's problem now that Braden River is getting a lot of kids that manatee usually got. It would take him time to build relationships being he is from out of town. I'm still waiting to hear what his signature win is???

My question is why are the Manatee guys being so hard on Joe with all the things he's done for Manatee? You don't think others will see this and turn the other way?

Tell you what Bradentucky, why don't you tell everyone, about Joe's 1st signature win as a HBC prior coming to Manatee?.............. Trouble with the point your trying to make is if you apply the same asinine logic to Joe, he wouldn't have had a signature win as a HBC either at that point......all he had was his time at Eastern Kentucky as an OC and other assitant coaching jobs. He had no prior head coaching experience except for a brief stint at Cypress Lakes HS......and guess what......Joe didn't light it up while he was there.

Manatee doesn't have an alumni wanting to return home to coach at Manatee with a resume like Joe's ......despite him having no real head coaching experience, or a principle with a coaching past at Manatee to hire him. That entire situation as it played out was probably a once in a life time type circumstance.........It may not be Lascari in the end, but my opinion remains if it were up to me Lascari would be my guy without even a second thought.

Go Canes Go!

The principal at any school has a lot to do with if coaches come or go. Doesn't mater what the coach can provide if he is not seen in a good light with the administration their time will be short lived.

I am surprised the coaches do what they do on the salary they make. Tough to attract quality applicants to any job without being able to offer them compensation.

Jobs come and go but the fitment has to be a family thought as well. Coach during most of the year will be with those kids or on campus more than at home or with their family.

With the way society is these days and old school coach is out of his element. Add crazy parents or kids who feel they are deserved of a starting position and a college offer for just showing up, tough gig.

I wanted to know his signature win because you incorrectly stated that he scheduled the toughest schedule mooney had in years and then went 8 and 2!! The truth is, he didn't make the schedule the first year and then removed the hard teams from the schedule his second year to go and 8 and 2 and make the playoffs as district runner up. I just wanted to know his best win of those 8. I can't make Joes signature win before Manatee because I wasn't alive.
And you were also wrong about having 80 players on the team.
Just seems like Manatee could get some better candidates.

I wanted to know his signature win because you incorrectly stated that he scheduled the toughest schedule mooney had in years and then went 8 and 2!! The truth is, he didn't make the schedule the first year and then removed the hard teams from the schedule his second year to go and 8 and 2 and make the playoffs as district runner up. I just wanted to know his best win of those 8. I can't make Joes signature win before Manatee because I wasn't alive.
And you were also wrong about having 80 players on the team.
Just seems like Manatee could get some better candidates.

Bradentucky, you like to see things in your own reality.......I never said the toughest schedule, I said "upgraded schedule" I never said 80 players players on the team, I said participation in the program in general increased to over 80 players.......my point being he got students interested in participating in football, something that wasn't happening at Mooney prior to his arrival and isn't currently true at Manatee either.

Joe didn't have a signature win prior to coming to Manatee, his only time as a HBC was at Cypress Lake HS and it wasn't a very successful time. Hell Joe's second year at Manatee, Manatee didn't even qualify for the playoffs. I gather just from your few comments, you've never been in a position of reviewing resumes, doing interviews, or subsequently hiring someone to a position requiring management oversight........correct?

Go Canes Go!

Yeah, I played against Joe's Cypress Lake Teams in 1969/70, Burton Lawless hit his QB as he was throwing and broke his jaw, Joe cried about it being a cheap shot, front page sports in the Ft Myers News Press, made quite a fuss, it was clearly not, on film. First time I ever saw a Head Coach do that and I didn't know it was Kinnan until about five years ago when Wavebb told me he was the young HC there in 69 and 70. Don't recall a signature win those two years for him, he was gone by my senior season.

Then again, my youngest (Caught the TD to put us up just before half - think there were 3 more lead changes ) was on the Tarpon team that knocked Manatee out of the playoffs the last time that happened, in what the CH 7 Sports guy called the "best football game I've ever seen on any level"; The Tarps had some speed to challenge Manatee for a change. Joe wouldn't shake hands after the game - the first time I ever saw that by a HC. But Manatee's parents and fans couldn't have been more classy - they appreciated it being a great game and that bled over even into basketball season as we'd see them and talk about the game.

After that I haven't been much of a fan of the guy.

Last edited:
Bradentucky, you like to see things in your own reality.......I never said the toughest schedule, I said "upgraded schedule" I never said 80 players players on the team, I said participation in the program in general increased to over 80 players.......my point being he got students interested in participating in football, something that wasn't happening at Mooney prior to his arrival and isn't currently true at Manatee either.

Joe didn't have a signature win prior to coming to Manatee, his only time as a HBC was at Cypress Lake HS and it wasn't a very successful time. Hell Joe's second year at Manatee, Manatee didn't even qualify for the playoffs. I gather just from your few comments, you've never been in a position of reviewing resumes, doing interviews, or subsequently hiring someone to a position requiring management oversight........correct?

Go Canes Go!

Your statements were wrong and you won't admit it so you try and bash me.......cool. But Drew did not upgrade the schedule from Smithers weak ass schedule like you said. He made his schedule easier and I don't think he beat anyone worth a damn. Also the mooney program did not explode with participation like you said and there were not 80 kids on both JV and varsity. I just think your statements were wrong........actually I know they are wrong.

Your statements were wrong and you won't admit it so you try and bash me.......cool. But Drew did not upgrade the schedule from Smithers weak ass schedule like you said. He made his schedule easier and I don't think he beat anyone worth a damn. Also the mooney program did not explode with participation like you said and there were not 80 kids on both JV and varsity. I just think your statements were wrong........actually I know they are wrong.

Funny Smithers as you seem so inclined to push, would abandon ship after putting together the 2015 schedule........???
But unless you want to call into question the accuracy of the Sarasota Herald Tribune, I'll provide the link for you to read for yourself link: http://www.heraldtribune.com/sports/20160905/cougars-coach-we-absolutely-fear-mediocrity

Go Canes Go!

Funny Smithers as you seem so inclined to push, would abandon ship after putting together the 2015 schedule........???
But unless you want to call into question the accuracy of the Sarasota Herald Tribune, I'll provide the link for you to read for yourself link: http://www.heraldtribune.com/sports/20160905/cougars-coach-we-absolutely-fear-mediocrity

Go Canes Go!

So you admit you were wrong about Drew making the toughest schedule in years at mooney and realize he made the schedule easier his second year? What his best win out of those 8?
You say a lot of misleading statements and said another one as far as me pushing smithers. But I can't blame smithers for going To a bigger better program and getting a pay raise.

Keep in mind. Todd Johnson at Riverview had zero head coaching experience and replaced John Sprague who was the head coach for 30 years. It started out very rocky for Todd but he has the ship sailing in the right direction now. Anyone they hire that doesn't have much head coaching experience is going to be a gamble. It is what it is.

Good point, I was really just trying to correct Gatorman on his incorrect statements and find out what good team mooney beat last year.

Whut is yo problems Coatch Tucky? They beat a sckool dat get to recruit. Dat pretty good fo a publix school. You kneed two takes dat jobs man. You much better for it.

You would think they would announce that very shortly after the Spring game. Looking to transition to the new coach asap.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT