ADVERTISEMENT

Head coach at MANATEE OUT

Silver, I see articles all the time here in Georgia about HS football coaches making 6 figures annually.......a lot of these schools are small classifications too!

Go Canes Go!

Reactions: Silver King
You guys think Manatee and Sarasota counties pay bad, you should see Charlotte. Our weight lifting coach makes what an assistant makes in Sarasota, and the asst weightlifting coach volunteers here.

Bradentonian, in as far as donations are concerned I'm assuming there are specific rules/laws that prevent the booster organizations from providing or assisting with a financial supplement?

Go Canes Go!

I won't tell if you don't tell seems to be the theme.

A 5K financial supplement is ridiculous for the type of responsibility and amount of extra time required from a dedicated coach to also adequately fulfill the role of a coach as well as teacher. Is this what all counties in Florida require from their coaches, in as far as a making a financial sacrifice for the love of the kids and the sport ?

Go Canes Go!

5k is generous. When I was coaching at FPC our HC split the stipend of 3.6k between the coordinators (the HC was also the OC). Then the 8 position coaches split the 4, 1.6k assitant coach stipends

St lucie stipends

Last edited:
Gatorman feel free to pass a cup around and donate money. I think I made like $.40 an hour one year when I was foolish enough to do the math and take out expenses for things like buying kids food/school supplies/gas, my own gas, etc. Now I wasn't the HC so I was getting paid about $2400. HC also put in probably double my hours.
0O2k6C.gif

Still nothing.....? I thought after spring ball ya'll folks in Manatee Co would have a special announcement

I heard that Cardinal Mooney coach decided to stay at Cardinal Mooney after they significantly increased his salary.

Well Good for Lascari, and too bad for Manatee. Like a I said earlier......Getting Joe Kinnan was a once in a life time situation............I'm accepting the ride is really over this time.

Go Canes Go!

Well Good for Lascari, and too bad for Manatee. Like a I said earlier......Getting Joe Kinnan was a once in a life time situation............I'm accepting the ride is really over this time.

Go Canes Go!
Let's not get all choked up Lascari was hardly a Joe, and I liked him as a choice . Although I'm not sure how sane they are, I just heard they were going talking to the former BCS coach instead of the 3rd "finalist".

No one said I was all choked up.............just commenting on the harsh reality of the entire situation........Probably never see another situation at Manatee at least in my life time when Joe made the decision to come back home to Bradenton.

I had to just shake my head when I read this weekend that Gulash and Phellan
were working a St Stephens now.........
Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
Lascari is a great coach IMO and would have Manatee rolling.

Granted, we're not very good right now and we barely showed up to that game ...but they beat the brakes off of us last season. Their kids were well coached and they played extremely physical.

so as a fellow in Manatee Co explained it- multiple candidates have pulled out and Manatee was even turned down by the BCS former head. Basically everyone involved is getting better deals or walking away... this is truly turning into a mess

The whole issue is money!! Manatee would have a coach right if that wasn't the case. Every Manatee county high school would have the same problem if they where hiring a coach right now. The county has really handcuffed the schools because of their terrible pay!!
If things don't change all of the schhools in this county are going to suffer.

Put aside the money situation for a moment, Joe came to Manatee in 1981 and was there, except for when he stepped away to deal with his cancer issues through 2013.........that 20 plus years of young men/alumni that were coached by Joe and then played collegiately, and not one single former player from all those years is interested in giving it a go?

Go Canes Go!

Money is indeed an issue. A first year teacher will start off around 38,000 - 40,000 a year and receive a stipend of 5,000 as a head coach. Look at the difference in the wages even though as a coach you may put in just as much time coaching, or even more.

Put aside the money situation for a moment, Joe came to Manatee in 1981 and was there, except for when he stepped away to deal with his cancer issues through 2013.........that 20 plus years of young men/alumni that were coached by Joe and then played collegiately, and not one single former player from all those years is interested in giving it a go?

Go Canes Go!

I think the guys that are interested they don't want to hire, and they guys they want to hire are not interested.

Reactions: 4A 8 FAN
From a team aspect, it is a good sign these Manatee student athletes riding this roller coaster are sticking together through this.
They must be confident, believe and trust that Manatee will have their new Head Coach in place soon, and it will be the the right coach in place to right the ship for Manatee football.

Reactions: 4A 8 FAN
Seems like a very good coach, but interesting in that a mere 8 weeks ago his principal said that they had been talking about "professional opportunities" and he was off for that. Wonder what that was all about.

Regardless of who is the coach, I'm glad Manatee and Braden River are finally playing during the regular season. This game should have been on the schedule every year like Manatee vs Palmetto is.

Reactions: peezy28
I guess that means one of the following:
A.) Things Change - Dwight Yoakam (1998)
B.) Who's Zoomin Who - Aretha Franklin (1985)
C.) What a Fool Believes - Doobie Brothers (1979)
D.) Back in the High Life - Steve Winwood (1986)
E.) All of the above

Go Canes Go!

Got the wife to forego turning on the TV on Sunday this past weekend, and instead tolerate me playing the iPod. This song came on and I immediately thought about you Silver and you trying out the new PA system at the Charlotte HS football stadium!

Go Canes Go!

Fla2014....BRH coach Bradley refused to play us! Manatee wanted to play them. Now with the new playoff point system they are having to play Manatee because of how important strength of schedule is in determining seeding.

Fla2014....BRH coach Bradley refused to play us! Manatee wanted to play them. Now with the new playoff point system they are having to play Manatee because of how important strength of schedule is in determining seeding.
Joe took them off the schedule first,(when they were horrible) then when MHS wanted them back they said go pound sand.

Came down for 2 games in 2009, the Braden River game and then the STA state semi final game. Manatee barely beat Braden River 14-7 on a late 4th QT TD by a backup tb, on one of those nights when Brion couldn't hit the broad side of a barn passing wise. The Game was at Manatee so I decided to sit on the visitors side, figuring premium options with seating. Was divorced at the time and brought my soon to be wife down for her 1st HS football game. We ended up behind a couple, that had brought with them jugs filled with pennies I guess............All I know they never missed an opportunity to make noise with them! To top it off the guy when he shook his jug he made very exaggerated movements, coming very close to my wife's face a couple of times. My resolve was we're on the wrong side of the field, there is plenty of room lets just move down a little so its no longer an issue. Her resolve was F that, I'm not moving anywhere we were here 1st, he does it again I'm throwing my drink on him! She was quickly losing her sweet southern charm, and was itching to start a fight at her 1st HS football game! I finally through some intense negotiating convinced her that coming 558 miles for a HS football game, capped off by a potential night in the Manatee County Jail just was really not worth it and that I was really looking forward to a week out on the beach in LongBoat Key and to her should also be worth way more than a fight with an obnoxious ignoramus, that ultimately she'd start but I would have to finish.........memories!!!! :)

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
Ha ha, great story, I like her already! Can't believe you remember that story about testing the PA system with that song. The same PA system that a day later announced that Hail Mary Brion threw so Manatee could hit the FG as time ran out to beat us on the new Fish Bowl's inaugural game.

Hmmm... At Gibbs he was well liked. I heard there was some turmoil with him at Lincoln though.

This could be interesting.

Nothing confirmed yet. He did interview yesterday for the position. There rumors out there that he excepted but nothing from the school to confirm it. So there still isn't a coach yet from what I have heard.

Can we wrap this up please. Capt. SK heading for Maine to sail the month of June at his other job. Don't have a lot of time for the fooseball up there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT