ADVERTISEMENT

Head coach at MANATEE OUT

I think this can be good new or bad news depending on who they get as their next Offensive Coordinator. I think Manatee has the athletes but lack the organization as an overall program.

Well, there is a lot happening right now at Manatee. It looks like John Booth has put in his resignation as head coach? It should hit the news soon! Its not offical yet!

Now see... I asked a while back and most said he is safe... I had a feeling this would not last long. I didn't expect it to be RIGHT NOW but knew his time was short.

Now see... I asked a while back and most said he is safe... I had a feeling this would not last long. I didn't expect it to be RIGHT NOW but knew his time was short.

That's what happens when those not close to the program start speaking on things they don't know much about.

I think it's a great move and wish both Booth's the best of luck.

We all new that it would be very difficult to come in as a young coach and take over a program like Manatee. Rocco had some issues at STA when Smith retired and many other schools have experienced this.

FLHSFB is changing and it not like it once was.

Look forward to seeing the search of a new HC at Manatee.

I think coach Booth had a hard time following in Kinnan's footsteps! It takes a lot of dedication year around to keep this program going. It was a eye opening experience coming from a program like Bloomingdale to a program of Manatee's statue. There was a lot of pressure on him to be successful year in and year out. We wish him the best of luck! He is a good Christian man that is dedicated to his faith and family!

Reactions: gambello
I think coach Booth had a hard time following in Kinnan's footsteps! It takes a lot of dedication year around to keep this program going. It was a eye opening experience coming from a program like Bloomingdale to a program of Manatee's statue. There was a lot of pressure on him to be successful year in and year out. We wish him the best of luck! He is a good Christian man that is dedicated to his faith and family!

That was the 1st thing I thought of when he got the job... Just thinking that coaching at Bloomingdale might not prepare you to be the HC at Manatee.

Reactions: fla331boy
I'm not close to the program anymore, so I cant report on things I know or heard but there were plenty of signs to indicate this was inevitable. The program after 4 years had no foundation to build from. I don't believe Booth ever displayed the kind of leadership required to run a program like Manatee top to bottom. I believe with this sudden departure announcement, we'll probably learn of several key players that were probably planning on playing else where next year or this resignation will pretty much seal the deal if they were still on the fence with that decision. I have absolutely no faith in the current power structure at Manatee, that someone capable of running a program like Manatee will be eventually hired.........To me it will ultimately mean going back to the days of coaches like Tommy Plaster or coach Mackey and just having losing or average Manatee teams moving forward....................

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
Kinnan wasn't retained at USF was he? Has there been enough change on the Manatee School Board for a possible comeback?

He wasn't retained at USF and I believe there is zero chance Joe ever coaches at Manatee again.............Gene Gallo's (former Manatee Booster club President and close friend to Joe)comments on the Bradenton Herald online were revealing on the probable hiring process. Asa side note I remember Gene Gallo as the HBC of the packers for the old Manatee Youth Football league when Tom Broome was the it coach at the youth league level......... Bottom line,I believe Manatee's story of dominance is over.

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
Reactions: Silver King
It happens, things go in cycles. Most of the successful Gulf Coast programs have long term staffs from Manatee to Collier County - Kramer at Naples, Sirianni at Ft Myers, Bink at Charlotte, and Peacock at Venice.

Brandon River and Port Charlotte both have 5 year coaches looking like they're settling into longevity positions.

There wasn't any structure at Manatee under Booth. Their freshman team lost every game for the past 2 years. They were in over their heads as coaches. I heard that the new DC Johnnie Jones is applying for the Head Coach job.

Last edited:
The other thing about the aforementioned Gulf Coast schools is there are coaches in a few of those systems being groomed. After the post Kinnan house cleaning it may be tough for Manatee to find the right fit at a bad time during free agency. Nothing tougher than replacing the program's best ever coach - Gatorman is a pretty perceptive guy, he may be right.

It's sad, but this is the direct result of the School Board's decision to impose a ridiculous contact on teachers.

Manatee County just gave teachers a 2% raise while increasing insurance premiums by 16%. For those that insure their families, that's a take home PAY CUT of almost $6,000 per year.

Add to that, that Manatee County does not honor previous years of experience in other counties, it's easy to see why coaches are leaving the sidelines.

It's sad, but this is the direct result of the School Board's decision to impose a ridiculous contact on teachers.

Manatee County just gave teachers a 2% raise while increasing insurance premiums by 16%. For those that insure their families, that's a take home PAY CUT of almost $6,000 per year.

Add to that, that Manatee County does not honor previous years of experience in other counties, it's easy to see why coaches are leaving the sidelines.

I read last year in the paper that if you cross the state line into GA or AL you "could" make upwards of 6 figures. Those coaches who demand that type of pay are not required to have a teaching position.
Easy to see why some schools in FL have a hard time keeping coaches.

I have no inside information as far as the program is concerned, but I do know that this is a financial decision for John and his family. They have a large, young family and he simply had to make a decision that he thought was in the best interest of the family. I'm not going to speculate about anything else. Hoping Manatee makes a good hire. Like someone said above, there is plenty of talent to field a very good football team.

I read last year in the paper that if you cross the state line into GA or AL you "could" make upwards of 6 figures. Those coaches who demand that type of pay are not required to have a teaching position.
Easy to see why some schools in FL have a hard time keeping coaches.

Yeah that is actually normal outside of Florida in the big football states.

So did he or didn't he? Does he have interest in the job? Bradenton has to be a better place to live then the elderly community of Venice.

I believe there is a family connection with the Peacock family and Manatee High School, if memory serves me correctly?

Go Canes Go!

UPDATE: Found this from a old article:

Peacock is pleased to have Manatee back on the schedule, and not just because he believes the Hurricanes will steel his Indians for Class 7A-District 11 play. Peacock's father, Tom, was a former Manatee Hurricane, and John began going to Manatee games when he was 5.

"I knew all their great players," John Peacock said. …

Spring practice starts Monday. I guess booth is going to stay and coach through the spring? I'm sure the old Mooney coach applied. He applies for every job that opens.

There have been no official interviews yet. Peacock has expressed interest and that is as far as it's gone. There is another very surprising and shocking candidate out of Tampa that has expressed interest. Boosters and administration are meeting to narrow down the list. Well over 100 applications have been received. Should know more in the coming week. This needs to be a splash hire!
Go Canes!!

Tampa... Weiner (doubt it) or Callahan (possible but he is close to retirement). ????

Peacock has been trying to get out of Venice for the past couple years. He realizes he just won't have the athletes to compete with the big boys. Doubt he will take the manatee job but I am sure they discussed it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT