ADVERTISEMENT

Head coach at MANATEE OUT

If he applies for and is offered the job, and the pay is right he will take it! He has done a great job with the talent he has had at Venice. But at Manatee and with the new transfer rules taking effect in July he will have a endless supply of talent. You have to remember he has ties to Manatee. He grew up a Manatee fan. His father was a star fullback at Manatee in the late 1950's. John and his father attended all the Canes games growing up. They went to both home and away games. He would have attended Manatee if his father hadn't moved them to Sarasota where he ended up attending Cardinal Mooney. Manatee is still one of the top jobs in the state. There will be a lot of quality coaches applying. It will be interesting how this turns out.

Heard the Armwood coach did indeed apply- The only other big name out of tampa would be Garcia?

Rumor is Peacock will take the job but they are working on getting him weight training classes.

In the past many of the Manatee folk with self-professed inside knowledge, have talked a lot of chit regarding Peacocks inability to coach up his players. Then this past year I have to admit, I began having a much lower opinion of him due to the way he approached the STA, that to me obviously translated to his players as well......... as the staff and the players went into the game not planning on winning.

I'm not sold on Callahan either at Manatee. I've always had a very low opinion of Conboy, but have to admit.......... that I may have a bias here, that prevents me from looking at him objectively?

I prefer seeing a hire that has some prior tie to the Manatee High football program, whether it be a former player or someone that's coached under Joe. Wondering to myself if the HBC at Cardinal Mooney might be interested in the Manatee Job......didn't he come from the DBP program?

DREW LASCARI
HEAD FOOTBALL COACH
Coach Lascari is the Cardinal Mooney Head Football Coach. Before arriving at Mooney, Coach Lascari served as the Offensive Coordinator for Don Bosco Prep in Ramsey, NJ. Coach Lascari was hired by Don Bosco in 2010 and was on staff for the 2011 National Championship team. Since 2010, Coach Lascari won 2 state titles with Don Bosco. Coach Lascari played football at Cortland State University in New York and earned Academic All American honors. Coach Lascari then went on to earn his Masters Degree in Sports Management at Columbia University in New York City.

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
Do you think Peacock approached that game to lose or made those comments after the loss. His post game talk after the East Lake game was on SNN which fired up STA because he basically said F them we are venice they need to worry about us. I'm sure he planned on losing his first year when he had acquired an 0-10 and had to face manatee who was coming off a state semi appearance. Just saying don't read a newspaper and think you know what's going on inside the locker room. I would be surprised if he went to manatee. He has done some special things at Venice.

They used to call him Lou Holtz at Charlotte because he always said he didn't have a change to win, just wanted to make it close. Maybe he made those comments after the game planning on facing them this year. Just some food for thought

The comments were a bad look and since we are not privvy to the locker room you can only speculate based on what we know

The fact that he (Peacock), created an environment ripe for conversation regarding a potential defeatist attitude.......particularly in his role as the HBC, says all I need to know about the guy's leadership qualities.

Go Canes Go!

Peezy, I know you're a little bent on Venice, after the War and Peace STA thread, but Peacock is a damn good coach who puts together a really strong staff. I think you would have liked him over on the sideline calling that playoff game against us where they kind of left your nephew out of the game plan (after all he did to get them there) and then let it get out of control. I seriously doubt he went into the STA game thinking he was going to get blown out - for all the years he's competed against us, I believe he's more the type of motivator that likely said, "They need to worry about Venice"

Last edited:
Peezy, I know you're a little bent on Venice, after the War and Peace STA thread, but Peacock is a damn good coach who puts together a really strong staff. I think you would have liked him over on the sideline calling that playoff game against us where they kind of left your nephew out of the game plan (after all he did to get them there) and then let it get out of control. I seriously doubt he went into the STA game thinking he was going to get blown out - for all the years he's competed against us, I believe he's more the type of motivator that likely said, "They need to worry about Venice"

Being honest coach Mesick is a great guy and a really good coach ... I coached with him and played for him. I wouldn't want any other coach.... As you know though Clearwater is not really my school but I support them now because of the staff and some of the familial players on the team. If Peacock was the coach I probably wouldn't be following them now anyway.

The game plan got a bit away from them and 7 was more effective at the time... Oh and The Tarps were the better team plain and simple .

Reactions: Silver King
Not that I know what the plan is for Peacock but it would stand to think about a few things.

If he were to leave now would be the time. He has been a Venice for what 17 years? The class of 2018 will graduate I believe 22 kids. Most if not all starters as sophomores. It would stand to say the talent is a bit bare after these kids are gone next season. As a timing standpoint I wouldn't be surprised. Opportunity knocks only once.

He has put together a staff that would be ready to take over in the event he chose to leave. I'm sure it would be different in some aspects but things change. He has put a foundation together that can move forward.

Have to do what is best for the future. Family first and with that said I can understand if he wanted to leave.

Stability helps programs. Community helps programs. These two items Venice has without a doubt.

Personally I would like him to stay. Humans are creatures of habit and change would become a distraction this late into Spring.

To add to that is would be very odd seeing Peacock on the sidelines November 11th standing on the Home sideline with Red on.

I took my name out of the process...

Too many big fish in that pond for me...

Plus they can't pay me what I make where I'm at...

Did any of the names around Manatee County apply? The BR OC seems like a young up and coming guy that could do some things there. What about Marino at Palmetto. They have certainly done well at a school not traditionally known for winning. Down here Smithers at Riverview has been around I wonder if he applied- and certainly the Mooney guy would be a good fit already having run a big time nationally known school. And how official are these reports of Peacock? Seems like speculation and no hard evidience. Thoughts on any and all of those items?

There are some rumors out there that he has met with Joe Kinnan and has talked about the job with him, and possibly Joe helping out on some capacity. I don't think there has been any official meeting or interview yet. Coach Peacock is probably keeping this on the down low until he is ready to let people know if he is interviewing or not. It's probably a tough decision! He has a great situation at Venice. John knows of the tradition at Manatee and the overall talent increase there compared to Venice. It's still one of the top jobs in the state!
There have been over 100 applications and many local I would bet. I think coach Marino would love to have the job but knows he probably isn't going to be in the running in the end. Manatee officials want to hire the right guy. There is a lot that goes into that not just X and O's. This might be a long process. Or unless they know who they want already. Then it's a matter of ironing things out. Who knows how this is going to end up. One thing is clear, Manatee is going to have a good coach when this is over!!

Having a coach with no real "authority" and on his way out does not seem like a recipe for success. The handling of this situation does not seem to be going well. They may be running a scheme on O D and ST that wont be what they are running in the fall. Im sure with the new rules kids are talking about defecting to other local places. By the way Riverview is probably the new best team in the area they are loaded with guys from all over Sarasota

No we were referring to Clearwater vs Charlotte. I have several younger family members on that team.

Let me be clear though even though I disagree with how I presume Peacock handled that STA situation I believe he is a great coach and one of the best in this area period.

Its not lost on me the fact Venice did hand Plant a butt whooping last year too.

Reactions: Silver King
VHS Football hasn't weighed in since Friday when he wasn't having it. If I were a Market Analyst and he was a CEO, I wonder how I'd read that...

Reactions: peezy28
No we were referring to Clearwater vs Charlotte. I have several younger family members on that team.

Let me be clear though even though I disagree with how I presume Peacock handled that STA situation I believe he is a great coach and one of the best in this area period.

Its not lost on me the fact Venice did hand Plant a butt whooping last year too.

Plant game last year was a return of the favor the prior year. Those 2018 kids I keep talking about had their first real eye opening road game as sophomores at Plant and got it handed to them. As they were down Plant kept throwing the ball and putting the points on the board. I had no issue with it. When Plant came to Venice last year they saw the no huddle in its infancy. Plant played most of their better players both ways to start and were gassed. When Venice put in the backups and started to take the foot off the throttle is when Plant had a run towards the end.
Plant was a better team than what they showed that day at the end of the year. A Venice Plant game at the end of the year would have been a good game.

As far as the STA game I don't think it was a coaching issue as it was more of a player problem from the start. Walking down that hallway with all of the state championships and the awards I think got in their heads. While a coach can prepare them for that somewhat, the players themselves have to mentally get it done. From the start I saw a team who acted very differently than I had see them play in the prior years. The loss to Braden River twice didn't have the same feel as the STA game.

VHS Football hasn't weighed in since Friday when he wasn't having it. If I were a Market Analyst and he was a CEO, I wonder how I'd read that...

If the money were better I don't blame Peacock for doing his due diligence to at the very least apply to see what is out there.
If I were Peacock and a change was what I was looking for I would look elsewhere in other states or where I can get paid and provide for my family. I'm not sure his resume is what garners that type of out of state pay but I would looking into it.
Other factors to think about.
AD relationship with coach ?
Principal relationship with coach towards program ?
Not knowing those factors may influence someone to look for a change.

Fortunate we don't have to worry about Bink, he's a Charlotte guy, was one of the little kids playing in the end zone when I played. His whole career has been in this county, which happens to be one of the worst paying for educators (ask Coach Bartlett), so money isn't an issue either.

But as you say, lots of factors, I forgot you guys had that principal change. And, you can't blame him to want to try it with the talent/speed they get every single year there.

I lost my HC before my senior year who went on to become a 2-time NCAA Coach of the Year. Venice was damn sure happy to see him go, we beat them for the first time in 15 years for Charlotte's first District title the year we made it to our first semi-final game.

I'm here Silver. I just don't see any real substance to what we are talking about. Has Peacock said anything about Manatee. Has Manatee said anything about Peacock?

vhs football, John has inquired about the position and has expressed interest. I am sure he is not going to make that officially public right now. I'm not at liberty to give you actual facts or conversations. I'm sure that all of this will become officially public soon. He might end up staying at Venice. He has a good gig going on down there right now.

Fortunate we don't have to worry about Bink, he's a Charlotte guy, was one of the little kids playing in the end zone when I played. His whole career has been in this county, which happens to be one of the worst paying for educators (ask Coach Bartlett), so money isn't an issue either.

But as you say, lots of factors, I forgot you guys had that principal change. And, you can't blame him to want to try it with the talent/speed they get every single year there.

I lost my HC before my senior year who went on to become a 2-time NCAA Coach of the Year. Venice was damn sure happy to see him go, we beat them for the first time in 15 years for Charlotte's first District title the year we made it to our first semi-final game.

I like Bartlett he is a good guy.

Josh Smithers, the OC from Riverview has also inquired about the job but I don't think he is going to take it due to the fact Riverview has a good squad this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT