ADVERTISEMENT

Head coach at MANATEE OUT

How much would a typical coach make in this instance? I'm guessing its the position at the school plus stipend correct? The position at the school is based off of teaching certificates. The stipend is then added from the school with approval ?

Nothing is wrong with him! He is an outstanding coach! He is a proven winner. Everybody that plays for him and coaches with him just loves him! Nichols is the coach if they can pay him? It might come down to money.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4A 8 FAN
He maybe a great guy and a good friend to the AD at Manatee. But what did he do at Liberty HS, before walking into a already pretty good situation at Osceola HS..........? He had a over-all losing record at Liberty HS and while his over-all record at Kissimiee HS is much better he walked into an already great situation left by Jeff Rolson. His only claim to fame is being an assistant on the 1998 state title team..........and he's practically a 50 year old coach.......so lets not try to say he's shown his self to be anything other than a semi successful HS coach.

Go Canes Go!

He wins too much...?

Maybe gatorman001 doesn't want to see an offensive attack that is 90% run game...

Like it or not it's effective and he wins...
That is one of the main reason's I don't want him........

Go Canes Go!

That is one of the main reason's I don't want him........

Go Canes Go!
First of all, I'm new to the boards. Hello to all.

Second, about Nichols - he opened Liberty as a brand new school and went 15-16 while he was there. I don't think any other coach has won that many games in that span of time since Nichols. The man can coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4A 8 FAN
He maybe a great guy and a good friend to the AD at Manatee. But what did he do at Liberty HS, before walking into a already pretty good situation at Osceola HS..........? He had a over-all losing record at Liberty HS and while his over-all record at Kissimiee HS is much better he walked into an already great situation left by Jeff Rolson. His only claim to fame is being an assistant on the 1998 state title team..........and he's practically a 50 year old coach.......so lets not try to say he's shown his self to be anything other than a semi successful HS coach.

Go Canes Go!

Has anyone ever been a "winner" at Liberty HS...

My two cents here are Doug Nichols and Osceola Kissimmee in 2014 and 2015 were pretty damn good teams. They made it to states both years ( 7A,8A) and were pretty impressive on their way to Orlando. Everyone knows how to stop Osceola's simple offense until they play it and it hits them in the face. If I am not mistaken Osceola were a top 100 team nationally in most publications for 2014 and 2015.

At States Osceola's offense unfortunately caught up to them in 2014 and 2015 as they fell to two top 25 teams nationally and arguably two top 5 Defensive teams nationally in St. Thomas Aquinas and Flanagan. Those defenses would have shut down and basically done the same thing to any other team in the state ( perhaps nation) in 2014 and 2015. Shit happens.
Too much talent and too fast, I don't care what kind of HS offense or HC you throw at them.

How many times in the future is Manatee going to face teams of 2014 STA and 2015 Flanagan's* caliber?
There has probably been one or two Manatee teams historically that could have banged with those teams and that had a lot more to do with talent on the field then coaching IMO. I don't know if Manatee can ever get back to that level of football regardless of HC . Particularly with IMG in the front yard.

Realistically if those Osceola teams had been in 8A in 2016 versus Southridge or Dr. Phillips type caliber teams they probably win at least 1 of those 2 games over the course of two years. If that happens Nichols would be judged or evaluated as a more accomplished HC. For what it's worth 2016 Osceola was supposed to be down a bit but they still had a decent team.

It is not like Osceola was playing pansies in 8A North in 2015 to get to states. I just don't think it is fair to grade a HC or his offense when they get to states and get shut down by nationally elite teams.

* Interesting fact- Osceola was the first and only team of the 2015 season to score a TD in the first half on Flanagan.

Last edited:
My two cents here are Doug Nichols and Osceola Kissimmee in 2014 and 2015 were pretty damn good teams. They made it to states both years ( 7A,8A) and were pretty impressive on their way to Orlando. Everyone knows how to stop Osceola's simple offense until they play it and it hits them in the face. If I am not mistaken Osceola were a top 100 team nationally in most publications for 2014 and 2015.

At States Osceola's offense unfortunately caught up to them in 2014 and 2015 as the fell to two top 25 teams nationally and arguably two top 5 Defensive teams nationally in St. Thomas Aquinas and Flanagan. Those defenses would have done the shut down and basically done the same thing to any other team in the state in 2014 and 2015. Shit happens.
Too much talent and too fast, I don't care what kind of HS offense you throw at them.

How many times in the future is Manatee going to face teams of 2014 STA and 2015 Flanagan's* caliber?
There has probably been one or two Manatee teams historically that could have banged with those teams and that had a lot more to do with talent on the field then coaching IMO. I don't know if Manatee ever can get back to that level of football regardless of HC . Particularly with IMG in the front yard.

Realistically if those Osceola teams had been in 8A in 2016 versus Southridge or Dr. Phillips type caliber teams they probably win at least 1 of those 2 games over the course of two years. If that happens Nichols would be judged or evaluated as a more accomplished HC. For what it's worth 2016 Osceola was supposed to be down a bit but they still had a decent team.

It is not like Osceola was playing pansies in 8A North in 2015 to get to starters. I just don't think it is fair to grade a HC or his offense when they get to states and get shut down by nationally elite teams.

* Interesting fact- Osceola was the first and only team of the 2015 season to score a TD in the first half on Flanagan.

For the first time ever I actually agree with everything said in a post...

Well stated facts Handicapper...

So you wouldn't want Darlington either...

He runs the ball way too much...
The reality is that I love the deep I offensive set, that Joe ran up until he went to the spread. I believe football is ultimately about controlling the line of scrimmage. I also have come to understand what being able to effectively pass the football means too. As I recall Nichols runs what amounts to a wishbone attack, and I just don't believe that offensively philosophy puts you in a position to win championships in the larger classifications. Its my opinion so I'm not going to argue the point because it ultimately comes down to opinion on what I think is best.

Take Ivey and Cox or maybe just Cox out of the offensive equation for Apopka and do you honestly think Sexy wins that state championship in 2014? For me I thought Cox was the unquestioned force that made Apopka hard to stop that year......running, blocking etc,,,,,,,,,,

Go Canes Go!

The reality is that I love the deep I offensive set, that Joe ran up until he went to the spread. I believe football is ultimately about controlling the line of scrimmage. I also have come to understand what being able to effectively pass the football means too. As I recall Nichols runs what amounts to a wishbone attack, and I just don't believe that offensively philosophy puts you in a position to win championships in the larger classifications. Its my opinion so I'm not going to argue the point because it ultimately comes down to opinion on what I think is best.

Take Ivey and Cox or maybe just Cox out of the offensive equation for Apopka and do you honestly think Sexy wins that state championship in 2014? For me I thought Cox was the unquestioned force that made Apopka hard to stop that year......running, blocking etc,,,,,,,,,,

Go Canes Go!

I thought Darlington won his first 6A (largest in state at time) title running pretty much the same thing that Osceola or Coach Nichols runs now...

I remember when Edgwater was running out of that "deep I" set in the first half of the 2000's and they lost 3 or 4 6A state titles in a row...

Their huddle was loaded with Division I Linemen and Skill guys but it wasn't enough to win it all...

For the record, the Gierke brothers are some of the best coaches Central Florida has ever seen...

Reactions: peezy28

At States Osceola's offense unfortunately caught up to them in 2014 and 2015 as the fell to two top 25 teams nationally and arguably two top 5 Defensive teams nationally in St. Thomas Aquinas and Flanagan. Those defenses would have shut down and basically done the same thing to any other team in the state ( perhaps nation) in 2014 and 2015. Shit happens.
Too much talent and too fast, I don't care what kind of HS offense or HC you throw at them.

There has probably been one or two Manatee teams historically that could have banged with those teams and that had a lot more to do with talent on the field then coaching IMO. I don't know if Manatee can ever get back to that level of football regardless of HC . Particularly with IMG in the front yard.

It is not like Osceola was playing pansies in 8A North in 2015 to get to states. I just don't think it is fair to grade a HC or his offense when they get to states and get shut down by nationally elite teams.

All of these are great points. Nichols has won nearly 100 football games in 10 years as a head coach (between Liberty and OHS). Manatee could do a whole lot worse than a guy like that. But, all of this stuff is just speculation until they announce someone...

I thank it gone bdat dued framed da norfth. He know coatched Taggert and Democanes liked day Illumnied.

This will help, and make gatorman001 sleep a little better. Nichols withdrew his name from consideration last week.

Just out of curiosity what would a football HBC at a Manatee County HS expect to make, 1st day on the job?

Go Canes Go!

I think it goes by how many years they have been teaching. I think the HBC stipend is only 5,000? 10,000?

So if that's the case................someone like a Joe Kinnan, to stay at a HS in Manatee county, would do so more so for his passion for the staying in the community/school than it would be for the money?

Go Canes Go!

So if that's the case................someone like a Joe Kinnan, to stay at a HS in Manatee county, would do so more so for his passion for the staying in the community/school than it would be for the money?

Go Canes Go!
Yes, but Joe held a couple different positions at the school from AD to Business Development that paid higher than a teacher position. Basically the HC is going to get a teacher salary which is between 40-60K based on their time in as a State Employee. They can also get the supplement which in Manatee county isn't much more that 5K and not based on your time in like it is in some other counties.

If money wasn't an issue a coach would have been named already! The county has handcuffed the schools!!

Go Canes Go!
From his employer, the answer to that is yes.

From his employer, the answer to that is yes.
A 5K financial supplement is ridiculous for the type of responsibility and amount of extra time required from a dedicated coach to also adequately fulfill the role of a coach as well as teacher. Is this what all counties in Florida require from their coaches, in as far as a making a financial sacrifice for the love of the kids and the sport ?

Go Canes Go!

Reactions: DarterBlue2
A 5K financial supplement is ridiculous for the type of responsibility and amount of extra time required from a dedicated coach to also adequately fulfill the role of a coach as well as teacher. Is this what all counties in Florida require from their coaches, in as far as a making a financial sacrifice for the love of the kids and the sport ?

Go Canes Go!
It is. Supplements vary from County to County, but in Florida none are generous. To support yourself and family, you need other sources of income, or a spouse who makes good money. SB has done the lecture circuit for years to supplement his. It is a big reason coaches leave for Georgia, Texas and certain other states.

Gatorman feel free to pass a cup around and donate money. I think I made like $.40 an hour one year when I was foolish enough to do the math and take out expenses for things like buying kids food/school supplies/gas, my own gas, etc. Now I wasn't the HC so I was getting paid about $2400. HC also put in probably double my hours.

Reactions: swett2victory
Bradentonian, in as far as donations are concerned I'm assuming there are specific rules/laws that prevent the booster organizations from providing or assisting with a financial supplement?

Go Canes Go!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT