ADVERTISEMENT

More changes at Manatee

twc2499

Oct 28, 2006
Manatee's AD was informed that she will not be returning to the school next year. Manatee has begun the interview process on Friday for it head new football coach and the AD was not present. Manatee will begin the next school year with a new principal, athletic director and varsity football coach. Jaquez Green officially put his name into the running and will coach the team through Spring and the jamboree on May 21st down in Venice. Many feel that he is now the front runner for the job. Go Canes!

Well, I apparently was pre-occupied enough with life that I missed this completely in as far as all the recent developments, until alittle after midnight 5/5/21.

In as far as Green's hire.......... I'm not excited about it at all but, he probably allows for continuity in the program to pretty much remain intact (which is about the best I can say about him at this point, as I find nothing impressive about his resume as a coach or what I've personally seen with his on field product or in game decisions).......I was concerned about the program foundationally, when the hammer came down on Shakir, because the timing of his dismissal was really bad from a program standpoint. This hire also tells me a lot about the new incoming principle, as Green was pretty popular among most, so it appears without knowing who exactly applied that the new principle was at least in this instance......... apparently willing to yield to the desire of popular opinion. So I'll give this hire a 3 season operational window...(which is what I gave Shakir when he was hired....he lasted 4 seasons). Who knows.....Green could turn out to be a better HBC, then he was as a OC......(I see he indicated that he intends on being the OC for at least the next 2 seasons.....so there's that?)

Since TWC2499 also indicated AD - Lapoint wont be back, I'll be very interested in who is hired to fill that vacancy? One of the 1st things I'd do as AD is fire the boys B-Ball coach, another one I am not impressed with from a stat sheet standpoint or personally when I had the opportunity to talk to him as well as watch his on court product. AD - Lapoint I'm kind of glad the decision was made to move on, I have some thoughts and feelings on her as a AD ('ll save most of that for one on one conversation).......................I saw her in her position as AD at Manatee in as far as the inter-actions I had with her, as someone that was on a career path in which leading a athletic department probably isn't her ideal professional calling.

In closing.....Wishing nothing but success for Green, my intuition however tells me this hire at best offers more of the same of the last 4 years...............Manatee being competitive during the regular season and potentially playing no more than 2-3 rounds into the playoffs each year.

I know many wont find my comments to be what they want to hear, but I sit here early on this Wednesday morning thinking when the Green story as the Manatee HBC comes to a close.......well this song by Petey Pablo comes to mind (Yeah I listen to Petey Pablo......his tune "Blow your whistle" is pretty catchy too!)

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: peezy28
Many would like to see Chris Peters get the AD job. He was Manatee's long time trainer and is still teaching at the school. That's who they are pushing to take it over!

As for Green getting the job. The kids love him and will work hard for him. He was the best interview by far of all the candidates! Did a great job while Shakir was suspended. Time will tell but he was the favorite when he throw his hat into the ring. He knows the game and what it takes to be suscessful! Now he is the man and we will see what he can do.

Last edited:
Reactions: gatorman001
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT