ADVERTISEMENT

I'm no longer watching the NFL - College and High School Ball only

If it's okay for NFL players to show open disrespect for our flag and our country, they can go @#$%& themselves.

If they think we can't live without them, they're more stupid than unpatriotic.

It's not something I would personally chose to do, but that stuff doesnt bother me as bad. It is an expression of freedom in a free society. So, you can be as idiotic as you want to be. Stupid to do it as a professional, but Hollywood actors and actresses do it all the time.

I had an Irish buddy in college, red haired freckled fast ass white boy, who wouldn't take his helmet off until the British got out of Northern Ireland. Nobody made to big a deal about it. Of course we played in front of about 25 loyal fans in the NAIA.

I Didn't watch the NFL last season because of the product on the field (and the Dolphins). College is a much better product even as taineted as it is.

One of Nu'Trelle's greatest learning experiences was the time he spent with the Green Machine (US Army). Ain't no way a man can be in the Army more than 3 days before a Drill Sergeant warns him not to "shit in his mess kit".

Colin Kaepernik may go down as one of the biggest fools who ever walked the face of the earth. What a @#$%& moron he was/is. Had the world by the@ss and was too stupid to avoid shitting in his own messkit.

Busy with all of the hurricane nonsense, but I didn't watch a snap of opening weekend. No idea how my fantasy teams did either. Don't care. I'll probably watch a few Bucs games but I gave my tickets up.

Reactions: GeorgiaJawJacker
It's up to society to tell the NFL that allowing criminals to play and allowing players to disrespect the flag is NOT ok. I vote with my remote control. How about you?

In a few years the NFL could be a vastly reduced entiity based on its absolutely anarchist political stances. You can't survive appealing to 25% of your potential audience. Remember, a lot of people in general don't watch sports. So of the 70% of the population that does, you can't alienate such a large group. They won't "fold" but they also won't have most of their revenue streams. If people actually start to tune out, the advertisers will bail, then these guys will have to be paid based on ticket sales. That would be a 60-70% reduction in salary. If they don't like it, they can start their own league to see how they fare. Good luck.

And don't think something won't step up to fill the void left by the people tuning out the NFL. Capitalism always finds a way to capture your "time" and "$". It's the American way. Seeing how many NFL'ers are anti-American, I can see how they don't grasp this concept.

I dnt fault anyone for not watching it tho it's a personal preference

In a few years the NFL could be a vastly reduced entiity based on its absolutely anarchist political stances. You can't survive appealing to 25% of your potential audience. Remember, a lot of people in general don't watch sports. So of the 70% of the population that does, you can't alienate such a large group. They won't "fold" but they also won't have most of their revenue streams. If people actually start to tune out, the advertisers will bail, then these guys will have to be paid based on ticket sales. That would be a 60-70% reduction in salary. If they don't like it, they can start their own league to see how they fare. Good luck.

Yeah I think your grossly overstating saying that 75% won't watch that's bullshit and you know it.

NFL has more of an issue with concussions than peoples right to protest and others not liking it (but preach free speech on the other hand )

No free speech when your're at work. Free speech in a public space on your time or in your private space on your time.

Not a difficult concept. NFL could put a stop to this tomorrow. They could simply release any player that violated their team rules on this. They have taken a very cautionary approach which has turned off a lot of former NFL football fans. I'll still watch, but only about 1/3 as much as I used to. Some of that is just getting older and not caring and some of it has to do with the sourness of millionaires bitching about "rights". Again, if they want to be activists, do it on their own time because most of don't care and don't want to hear about it. And its our choice to tune out.

A couple of comments in response to several contained in this thread:

1. Free speech means giving others, including those you stridently disagree with, the right to express their opinions in a peaceful manner. Sure, an employer has the right to restrict an employee's free speech when the employee is on the clock. However, the employer should exercise this right with care.

2. If the NFL, or some successor professional league, is no longer a part of the American landscape, then the quality of College Football will decline dramatically. This will have a negative effect on a landscape which masquerades as amateur sports, but which in reality is a massive commercial enterprise. For the truth of the matter is that by removing the dream of playing for millions of dollars, the better athletes will gravitate to other sports: track, baseball, basketball, even soccer. Or if they don't they will move on with their lives and become the proverbial butcher, baker or candlestick maker. For let's face it, when you take into consideration the health risks of playing football beyond high school, absent a large financial incentive to keep playing, many individuals will decide to take their skills elsewhere.

It's kind of ironic that I see myself writing the above, for I came to football when my next door neighbor's son played for Dr. Phillips back in the 1990s. I respected the kid and he kept bugging me to come watch a DP game. I did and became hooked on the high school game shortly thereafter. Despite this, I never got anywhere near as serious about either the college or professional game, and would not be seriously affected if either or both disappeared.

But my point is, be careful what you wish for, for you just may get it. For it is not clear to me that big time college ball, which the alumni of many a major institution of higher learning in the USA revere, would survive the disappearance of the professional game!

Reactions: peezy28
You lose Pro and college ball but I guess that'll make alot of folk happy apparently.

Oh and Boxing might get some great Heavyweights again.

Reactions: DarterBlue2
You lose Pro and college ball but I guess that'll make alot of folk happy apparently.

Oh and Boxing might get some great Heavyweights again.
Some of them fast D Line and the more athletic O Line, would probably make great heavyweights!

Reactions: peezy28
A couple of comments in response to several contained in this thread:

1. Free speech means giving others, including those you stridently disagree with, the right to express their opinions in a peaceful manner. Sure, an employer has the right to restrict an employee's free speech when the employee is on the clock. However, the employer should exercise this right with care.

2. If the NFL, or some successor professional league, is no longer a part of the American landscape, then the quality of College Football will decline dramatically. This will have a negative effect on a landscape which masquerades as amateur sports, but which in reality is a massive commercial enterprise. For the truth of the matter is that by removing the dream of playing for millions of dollars, the better athletes will gravitate to other sports: track, baseball, basketball, even soccer. Or if they don't they will move on with their lives and become the proverbial butcher, baker or candlestick maker. For let's face it, when you take into consideration the health risks of playing football beyond high school, absent a large financial incentive to keep playing, many individuals will decide to take their skills elsewhere.

It's kind of ironic that I see myself writing the above, for I came to football when my next door neighbor's son played for Dr. Phillips back in the 1990s. I respected the kid and he kept bugging me to come watch a DP game. I did and became hooked on the high school game shortly thereafter. Despite this, I never got anywhere near as serious about either the college or professional game, and would not be seriously affected if either or both disappeared.

But my point is, be careful what you wish for, for you just may get it. For it is not clear to me that big time college ball, which the alumni of many a major institution of higher learning in the USA revere, would survive the disappearance of the professional game!

Oh well. Maybe folks would find more productive things to do with their time. I enjoy the hell out of sports but they are an escape. A release. Like a movie.

When I go to watch a movie, I don't get a 5 minute diatribe from some Hollywood Leftist Whacko prior to watching the movie. I get great trailers of movies coming up. If there was that 5 minute leftist whacko diatribe, most people would not go to the theatre.

My neighbor David quit watching the NFL after what they did to Tim Tebow. I told him it was about performance, but he was hung up on intangibles.

Reactions: DarterBlue2
My neighbor David quit watching the NFL after what they did to Tim Tebow. I told him it was about performance, but he was hung up on intangibles.
I agree with your neighbor. Tim was not given a fair shot as he did not fit the "NFL QB mold." Call me stupid, but I still think he could have been successful.

Reactions: Trelle
Based on the QBs who have been drafted early and their lack of success, I'm not sure the NFL experts know what makes a good NFL QB. Many, including Tebow, did not get a fair shot. And, it will probably continue!

I think Tebow could have been a good backup if he didn't have the hoopla come a long with him. He is a much better QB than Scott Tolzien and probably other starters like Blake Bortles and Jay Cutler but he was not going to be an elite NFL QB (and he was drafted in the 1st round too mind you).

Actually NFL QB's drafted early have been having success look at JW and MM among others.

I think Tebow could have been a good backup if he didn't have the hoopla come a long with him. He is a much better QB than Scott Tolzien and probably other starters like Blake Bortles and Jay Cutler but he was not going to be an elite NFL QB (and he was drafted in the 1st round too mind you).

Same thing with Kaep. If he shut his mouth he'd be making $5 mil a year to carry a clip board and would eventually get a shot to start.

Same thing with Kaep. If he shut his mouth he'd be making $5 mil a year to carry a clip board and would eventually get a shot to start.
It wasn't his mouth though... more like his Patella.

Maybe it's because I don't tune in at the beginning of the game, but I never care if they kneel or not. I also didn't care if Tebow wore biblical eyeblack. It doesn't affect the game play, I am more upset at rapists, murder accessories, wife beaters, all remain in the NFL with not a peep from the same people upset about people kneeling. So non-violently protesting something is horrible but allowing rapists is okay?

I think more moms and dad are concerned about concussions and injuries than kneeling. That is where the long term damage of the NFL is. Taxpayers are more upset about stadiums being paid for by tax dollars where the NFL owners get all the monetary benefit and we pay for it forever (see St. Louis and Oakland).

While the kneeling has some effect on the viewership, people are not showing up to the games as is (see Chargers, 49ers, and Rams). Ticket prices are ridiculous, parking and traffic is horrendous.

Maybe it's because I don't tune in at the beginning of the game, but I never care if they kneel or not. I also didn't care if Tebow wore biblical eyeblack. It doesn't affect the game play, I am more upset at rapists, murder accessories, wife beaters, all remain in the NFL with not a peep from the same people upset about people kneeling. So non-violently protesting something is horrible but allowing rapists is okay?

I think more moms and dad are concerned about concussions and injuries than kneeling. That is where the long term damage of the NFL is. Taxpayers are more upset about stadiums being paid for by tax dollars where the NFL owners get all the monetary benefit and we pay for it forever (see St. Louis and Oakland).

While the kneeling has some effect on the viewership, people are not showing up to the games as is (see Chargers, 49ers, and Rams). Ticket prices are ridiculous, parking and traffic is horrendous.

Amen finally someone speaking facts and not nonsense

Peezy, who are you to tell anyone that their point-of-view is nonsense? I know that early Monday Morning in Volusia County when the storm was at it's worst, Sheriff's Deputies were saving senior citizens and going after looters. I am sure that Colin Kaepernick and Michael Bennett were not doing anything as heroic.

DB2, my usually knowledgeable friend, I am going to disagree about your, 'NFL gone, so goes College' hypothesis.

1) Follow the money - it ain't going nowhere.

2) I know a whole lot of guys like me who played in the NAIA that didn't delude themselves they would be playing Pro Ball. Two in my conference did go on to pro careers during the years I played, but that happened about as regularly as a total eclipse of the sun.

3) If your hypothesis is correct, then how would you explain subs; the guys down the food chain who rode the bench - they clearly know they aren't headed to the NFL, why put themselves through it?

I think college ball is safe because most kids love the game and still want to compete.

DB2, my usually knowledgeable friend, I am going to disagree about your, 'NFL gone, so goes College' hypothesis.

1) Follow the money - it ain't going nowhere.

2) I know a whole lot of guys like me who played in the NAIA that didn't delude themselves they would be playing Pro Ball. Two in my conference did go on to pro careers during the years I played, but that happened about as regularly as a total eclipse of the sun.

3) If your hypothesis is correct, then how would you explain subs; the guys down the food chain who rode the bench - they clearly know they aren't headed to the NFL, why put themselves through it?

I think college ball is safe because most kids love the game and still want to compete.

The money will dry up when the quality of the game declines. With no professional league, the really good athletes will gravitate to games that have a professional option. This will lead to a decline in viewership, particularly from the more casual fan.

Yes, there will always be individuals that play for the love of the game, including a few elite players. However, a majority of the really good ones will move on to sports that give them better career options. The end result will be a decline in the sport's quality. The college game could somewhat address this by actually going semi-pro, playing the players (at least in the power conferences) to play. But this won't work either as your maximum duration is too short and the money would not be enough.

Perhaps I am wrong, but both my instincts and my academic major tell me otherwise. I think those trashing the professional game that believe somehow college would largely be unaffected are smoking something pretty strong!

Last edited:
Peezy, who are you to tell anyone that their point-of-view is nonsense? I know that early Monday Morning in Volusia County when the storm was at it's worst, Sheriff's Deputies were saving senior citizens and going after looters. I am sure that Colin Kaepernick and Michael Bennett were not doing anything as heroic.

I am just a guy with an opinion like you just not shy about voicing it.... if ya don't like it you can easily ignore my posts and you'll never see it again.

I don't know what Ck and MB were doing and Frankly I don't care but I know what Hillsborough deputy Ivan Clark aka my brother was doing in Hillsborough county when the storm was at it's worst.

The NFL vierwship is in danger from other reasons.

Reactions: Dan in Daytona
Given enough time, it could come down to where there's only two guys still watching the NFL, peezy 28 and some other guy.

Peezy, if you don't think that these protests, and these players kneeling during the National Anthem has any effect, I don't know what to say to you. Every poll that I have read has this as a major reason, and many owners have even got letters from season tickets holders threating to cancel their season tickets if that player was singed. Ignore your posts? You would like that wouldn't you?

Peezy, if you don't think that these protests, and these players kneeling during the National Anthem has any effect, I don't know what to say to you. Every poll that I have read has this as a major reason, and many owners have even got letters from season tickets holders threating to cancel their season tickets if that player was singed. Ignore your posts? You would like that wouldn't you?
No intelligent individual interested in viewing any athletic competition that believes insulting such a large segment of the American public, by not standing for the nation's anthem, is too stupid to post on this message board. Jambun, how you arrived at your conclusion from what Peezy said is beyond me. He likes the NFL far better then I do and many others on this site. He like myself believes in peaceful protest. Let the chips fall where they may for Colin. He's an adult. The market will determine his fate........As for the NFL, it's a stale predicable product. 32 clones with varying talent levels calling the same plays with the same strategies. It's a job for the players and coaches nothing more. Who wants to watch someone go to work ?

No I don't want you to ignore my posts at all I just seem to really get on your nerves so I was giving you an option that's all sir. Trust me if you really bothered me that much id just pull a Mr Hi and ban you remember I'm a moderator on the board. But I'm far from a petty man so post on and keep your emotions in check.

I never said the kneeling hasn't affected viewership... it has just not as much as you bluebloods would like to think the NFL has been having this issue long before last year and CTE among the the fact that hard core criminals are playing this game are a bigger issue than a protest.

I still don't understand how y'all are more offended by a protest than a real criminal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT