ADVERTISEMENT

Tampa Catholic coach resigns

307mac

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2009
Tampa Catholic football coach Mike Gregory has resigned from his job after two seasons with the Crusaders, the school announced Friday.

Gregory, who served as an assistant at Tampa Catholic for four years before taking his first head coaching job, cited family reasons for his resignation. His wife is expecting their first child in June.

"Quite frankly, I didn't want to be halfway a dad one way and halfway a coach the other way," Gregory said. "The whole process of coming to the decision and telling my kids was devastating. I shed tears multiple times in the process."

Gregory said resigning was something he thought about for weeks leading up to Friday's announcement and that he made the final decision Tuesday after consulting family. On Friday morning, he met with his team to break the news.

Gregory had a record of 14-11 and took the Crusaders to the state semifinals during his first season in 2013.

His tenure as head coach, though, was also marred by controversy surrounding the program's multiple allegations of recruiting, one of which involved five-star wide receiver Nate Craig's transfer from Pasco to Tampa Catholic.

Gregory said his resignation had nothing to do with the ongoing investigation by the Florida High School Athletic Association.

"If I felt like we had done anything wrong," he said, "I wouldn't have been here this long."

Gregory, who lives in Land O'Lakes, said he's not sure what his plans are for the fall but left open the possibility of joining a staff as an assistant coach closer to his home. Being the man in charge once again, he said, is also something he's also interested in pursuing in the future.

"Definitely down the road I'd love to be a head coach again when the timing's better and the situation is a little bit different," Gregory said.

Whoever takes over Tampa Catholic is going to inherit a strong underclass that needs time to develop, especially along both lines. TC was dealt a pretty significant blow when their superstar DE, Malik Barrows transferred to IMG Academy. Word is that superstar Nate Craig may be on his way to IMG as well. Still, the Crusaders have a strong amount of young guys, but are in a 3 team district with very strong contenders Tampa Berkeley Prep and Lakeland Christian School.

Overall, I wish the best for Coach Gregory- as a mother of 2, it's a full-time job raising children and while TC will miss him, I hope he coaches again.

The downfall of Tampa Catholic started after HC Bob Henriquez departed. I remember, when we used to play Tampa Catholic how disciplined and energetic his teams were. He was like a drill sergeant in boot camp. And it seemed that all of his players loved him. Every game that we played with them was very tough. Henriquez was also a professor of the game and knew all of the right moves. I wonder where he is right now?

Proseteye,

He was elected Property Appraiser of Hillsborough County. He left TC to take that job. His name is the first that came up, but the amount of time that elected position takes may not allow him to come back this time around.

So I am going to just say this... I hope all is well with coach Gregory but if he accepts a coaching job anytime within the next 2 years I am going to call B.S. on the "family" reasoning... Coaches always say that these days then take another job a month later.

Many times family reasons mean another job. Like another job pays more money and it is best for their family.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Tampa1, they rehired Coach Gregory. I guess the word I heard was right...he never left despite resigning his position.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT