ADVERTISEMENT

Sarasota Riverview 24 Manatee 13 Final

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
Riverview deserved to win this one, but I have to say The offensive play calling on the Manatee side was just pathetic, compounded by perhaps the worst game of the season played by the Manatee QB was enough to place Manatee with hardly any chance of pulling out a win tonight.

Go Canes Go!

gatorman is the OC new? Yes there is a technique to him scripting and then calling his plays so if he’s new give him sometime because it takes a few years to figure out everything, the kinks and such.

I can remember not that long ago if Manatee was on your schedule it was going to be a long night.
Is it the coaches?
Opening new schools (BR) ?
Culture ?
Development of players at freshman-JV levels?

It seemed like the Manatee coaching staff didn't have a game plan. They panicked. Good win for Riverview.

It seemed like the Manatee coaching staff didn't have a game plan.
You'll see a big difference once gatorman001 installed as OC and QB coach.

Look for Manatee HS to quickly return to state prominence if gatorman's arch-nemesis Mr HiSchool don't do nothin to interfere wiff the operation.

Reactions: jgking83
Manatee Blows out Newsome... Riverview loses to Newsome. Riverview Beats Manatee.

I sat over on the Riverview side for this game, the Riverview folks around me couldn't believe the limited number of Manatee folks on the Manatee side of the stands for a game that was basically for the District Championship. I mention that only because at the Palm Harbor game the week before, I noted how the Manatee folks at the game displayed absolutely no emotion while I was sitting among them. So culturally, I'd have to say there isn't anywhere near the community involvement at Manatee HS with regards to the football program as there once was. The freshman and JV programs were respectable this year, but to give you an idea how bad it had gotten. The freshman win over Palmetto this season, was the 1st win in over 3 years, neither the freshmen or JV teams have had a winning season over the same time frame as well. I attribute most of that as a manifestation of having Booth in charge of the program, the current HBC seems to be making improvements with the freshman and JV programs however. Talent wise Manatee on the varsity level has above average talent.
I wish Joe would or could work with the OC, because I feel he has loads of potential. By the second QT of the game its was apparent to me that Manatee couldn't block at the perimeter, but the OC kept calling plays that required sealing the perimeter and Riverview would just shut it down every time. The long TD run by Fordham was all about Fordham's ability to make things happen on his own, rather than a picture perfect play. There was near the end of the game, Manatee was around the Riverview 10 yard line....cant remember if it was a jet sweep or Fordham running the wildcat........But I thought for sure Fordham with his outstanding speed would make the corner and score, but Riverview closed it quickly and prevented Fordham from getting into the endzone. Manatee had some good success with its 2-back sets, but only used it sparingly......I also felt despite missing on some vertical pass plays, should have continued attacking Riverview there.....but again the OC pretty much abandoned those plays after just missing on those plays in the early stages of the game. As a side note I spotted coach Phelan in the stands also on the Riverview side of the field......he was the defensive coordinator at Manatee when Joe was dismissed and is currently serving in the same capacity at Saint Stephens HS. This was a game I feel Joe would have won.......it is what it is......shame because this is a pretty talented Manatee squad.

Go Canes Go!

High school football isn't what it used to be. You see less support because of free agency. Nobody really cares about the school they (or their kids) are playing for.

As far as this Manatee team, they don't have the trench monsters they need win in the playoffs. Couldn't really stop Riverview's running game and couldn't really run the ball consistently. You're not going to win in the playoffs like that.

Reactions: peezy28
I sat over on the Riverview side for this game, the Riverview folks around me couldn't believe the limited number of Manatee folks on the Manatee side of the stands for a game that was basically for the District Championship. I mention that only because at the Palm Harbor game the week before, I noted how the Manatee folks at the game displayed absolutely no emotion while I was sitting among them. So culturally, I'd have to say there isn't anywhere near the community involvement at Manatee HS with regards to the football program as there once was. The freshman and JV programs were respectable this year, but to give you an idea how bad it had gotten. The freshman win over Palmetto this season, was the 1st win in over 3 years, neither the freshmen or JV teams have had a winning season over the same time frame as well. I attribute most of that as a manifestation of having Booth in charge of the program, the current HBC seems to be making improvements with the freshman and JV programs however. Talent wise Manatee on the varsity level has above average talent.
I wish Joe would or could work with the OC, because I feel he has loads of potential. By the second QT of the game its was apparent to me that Manatee couldn't block at the perimeter, but the OC kept calling plays that required sealing the perimeter and Riverview would just shut it down every time. The long TD run by Fordham was all about Fordham's ability to make things happen on his own, rather than a picture perfect play. There was near the end of the game, Manatee was around the Riverview 10 yard line....cant remember if it was a jet sweep or Fordham running the wildcat........But I thought for sure Fordham with his outstanding speed would make the corner and score, but Riverview closed it quickly and prevented Fordham from getting into the endzone. Manatee had some good success with its 2-back sets, but only used it sparingly......I also felt despite missing on some vertical pass plays, should have continued attacking Riverview there.....but again the OC pretty much abandoned those plays after just missing on those plays in the early stages of the game. As a side note I spotted coach Phelan in the stands also on the Riverview side of the field......he was the defensive coordinator at Manatee when Joe was dismissed and is currently serving in the same capacity at Saint Stephens HS. This was a game I feel Joe would have won.......it is what it is......shame because this is a pretty talented Manatee squad.

Go Canes Go!

I may have missed this but did you retire and move back to the area?

High school football isn't what it used to be. You see less support because of free agency. Nobody really cares about the school they (or their kids) are playing for.

As far as this Manatee team, they don't have the trench monsters they need win in the playoffs. Couldn't really stop Riverview's running game and couldn't really run the ball consistently. You're not going to win in the playoffs like that.
That's just not the case, particularly as it relates to the Sarasota Riverview game......Riverview's DL rotated the following players # 33 - 245lbs, #99 - 233lbs, #44 - 245lbs, #51 - 217, compare that to Manatee's DL that saw the following play during this game #99- 265lbs, #53 - 230lbs, #42 - 220lbs, # 78 - 350lbs, #33 - 210lbs I believe from an average standpoint Manatee's DL was equal if not bigger. Now the OL for each team Riverview starting OL was #73 - 260lbs, #78 - 280lbs, #72 - 300lbs, #75 - 250lbs, #76 - 295lbs and the TE # 200lbs, Manatee's starting OL #55 - 285, #73 - 255lbs, #54 - 260lbs, #66 - 250lbs, #75 - 265lbs...( Manatee doesn't employ a TE in its offense). Not sure exactly what you're looking for size wise, but that's all the size you need to be competitive regular season as well as post season, and compares equally to what Riverview had on its starting lines. This was a game the coaching staff clearly didn't have the team prepared to play nor did they make the necessary in game adjustments to be competitive......it had nothing at all to do with lack of monsters in the trenches .
Go Canes Go!

I may have missed this but did you retire and move back to the area?
Retired June 1st and was down visiting, haven't made a decision on where I'll go to live just yet..................ideally I would love to live in Florida near the beaches during the winter months, and somewhere near Blue Ridge mountains during the summer. Where I grew up and lived in Bradenton prior to moving to Georgia to be blunt has gone to hell in a hand basket. I actually owed a home on 11th Ave west just a couple of blocks from Manatee HS prior to moving to Georgia.......no way I'd want to live there now.......planning on being down there for the weekend all of you gather for the state title games.

Go Canes Go!

Reactions: Wavebb
That's just not the case, particularly as it relates to the Sarasota Riverview game......Riverview's DL rotated the following players # 33 - 245lbs, #99 - 233lbs, #44 - 245lbs, #51 - 217, compare that to Manatee's DL that saw the following play during this game #99- 265lbs, #53 - 230lbs, #42 - 220lbs, # 78 - 350lbs, #33 - 210lbs I believe from an average standpoint Manatee's DL was equal if not bigger. Now the OL for each team Riverview starting OL was #73 - 260lbs, #78 - 280lbs, #72 - 300lbs, #75 - 250lbs, #76 - 295lbs and the TE # 200lbs, Manatee's starting OL #55 - 285, #73 - 255lbs, #54 - 260lbs, #66 - 250lbs, #75 - 265lbs...( Manatee doesn't employ a TE in its offense). Not sure exactly what you're looking for size wise, but that's all the size you need to be competitive regular season as well as post season, and compares equally to what Riverview had on its starting lines. This was a game the coaching staff clearly didn't have the team prepared to play nor did they make the necessary in game adjustments to be competitive......it had nothing at all to do with lack of monsters in the trenches .
Go Canes Go!
I don't care about the size of the players. I saw the game. Manatee got moved off the ball within the tackles almost at will. The offensive line did not win the battle on the other side either. Manatee is not good enough along the lines to win in the playoffs.

I don't care about the size of the players. I saw the game. Manatee got moved off the ball within the tackles almost at will. The offensive line did not win the battle on the other side either. Manatee is not good enough along the lines to win in the playoffs.
I said it in a earlier post, Joe win's this game if he's on the sidelines.......not meant to disparage the current staff but as I also said earlier " It is what it is" Manatee's talent level was more than sufficient to win this game,had it had been better prepared....... that's on the coaching staff not the players.

Go Canes Go!

I said it in a earlier post, Joe win's this game if he's on the sidelines.......not meant to disparage the current staff but as I also said earlier " It is what it is" Manatee's talent level was more than sufficient to win this game,had it had been better prepared....... that's on the coaching staff not the players.

Go Canes Go!
I agree with that. Coach Kinnan would have this team deep in the playoffs and undefeated right now.

Go Canes Go!

Question is are the coaches giving the kids the tools to succeed or do the kids just not care about Manatee Football the way they should? Only insiders in that locker room can answer that question.

I would agree that there is enough talent to win more games than they have been as of late.

I dont know if it was you or someone else from the Sarasota area, that had commented on the lack of discipline on the Riverview sideline. I watched closely to see if I could pick-up any tendency's that could be linked to a lack of a lack of dicipline and on the whole I'd have to say I saw nothing glaring from the stands. There were a couple of players on Riverview's defense......#33 I believe was ejected near the end of the game and # 4 that was jawing the entire game but other than that....nothing.........but as you said much more could be learned from getting a behind closed doors perspective.
As far as Manatee goes I believe the kids believe in the HBC, and Im seeing signs of buy-in from the student athletes at Manatee. Where I have issues is with the coaching over-all...... couple of examples: I've mentioned numerous times the DB's don't seemed to be getting any coaching with incoming ball recognition on long pass plays......in fact the last play of the 1st half......Riverview attempted a long throw to score a TD, and the DB had no idea the ball was even in the air, it actually hit him in the back of the helmet.......preventing the receiver from catching the ball........and then the play calling.....I watched the game on video yesterday and the Manatee radio guys in fact mentioned several times about not understanding the offensive play calling during the game.......

Go Canes Go!

I watched the game stream the other day but not the entire game. I think it might have been Sotacoach ?

With the athletes Manatee has I find it hard to believe you couldn't find a coach who would want to work with the DB. With that said coaching DB is not something you can do well without ever playing that position. Maybe someone is coaching them but doesn't have the best ideas on how to.

I believe Rodney Sanders is coaching them, he should have all the experience one could hope for having played opposite Dion Sanders at FSU. Its the little things I see missing or not being corrected, that cause me to question whether this staff has what it takes?

Go Canes Go!

I believe Rodney Sanders is coaching them, he should have all the experience one could hope for having played opposite Dion Sanders at FSU. Its the little things I see missing or not being corrected, that cause me to question whether this staff has what it takes?

Go Canes Go!
Tracy Sanders. I'm not sure if he is still coaching. He was my position coach and I can tell you that he definitely knows what he's talking about.

Tracy Sanders. I'm not sure if he is still coaching. He was my position coach and I can tell you that he definitely knows what he's talking about.
Correction......I meant Tracy, I dont know why Rodney's name flowed out of my head.......Thanks JKing!

Go Canes Go!

Well it sounds like the guy coaching that position has the knowledge so my guess is it has to be on the kids.

When I say that its not that the players don't have the ability its more along the line of caring or want to. Its a culture type thing. When its going good everyone is happy. When its going bad then things like you mention tend to be glaring.

I've noted this with the DB's all season long, among a number of other things.....WR's don't run the best routes, perimeter blocking by the WR's as being poor depending on the quality DB's they're up against. The center from NC, is continually being blow-up or just completely missing blocks all together.......he has played with a taped ankle all season long, so that could be part of the issue...he"s just not 100%? I don't believe the OL can handle their blocking assignments, with the wide gaps they setup in........just alot of things that I've noticed, that to me points to coaching or better put lack of coaching......is why I see it as a shame, because other than the talented team Manatee fielded that Booth was gifted his 1st year as the HBC (which for all intents was Kinnan's team), this comes pretty close to being a pretty talented bunch too! That to me coaching will ultimately hold it back from achieving it maximum potential.

Go Canes Go!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT