ADVERTISEMENT

Manatee 31 Port Charlotte 24 FINAL

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
Another one of those games where The Hurricanes started slow, and subsequently found themselves down to Port Charlotte most of the game until the 4th QT. Manatee kept getting after it, by finding life with its passing game to find some of that Manatee Magic of old to pull out a 31-24 win!

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkECannon
Yeah, I read somewhere that Manatee’s coaching staff wasn’t good enough to win this ball game? One heck of a football game against one hell of damn good Port Charlotte team! They have four or five guys on that defense that are big-time division 1 players! Their front four are for real and Manatee want play one that has a better one on their schedule! I thinks it’s time that Manatee gets the credit they deserve!!
Manatee’s offensive line did an outstanding job pass protecting that help Andrew Heidel throw for 320 yards and 4 TD’s while playing with a broken left hand and the defense came up with a big interception to seal the win. Up next is Lakewood Ranch on the road next Friday.

The picture below was that state of the visitors bleachers at Port Charlotte HS last night that we were expected to sit on. Someone had cleaned the area where the band was going to be as you can see in the pic. Been going to alot of football games for almost 50+ years and had never seen anything like this. It appeared to be some kind of mildew?

Had the opportunity to be introduced to KP Price's Dad and Grad Dad before the game, Grad Dad was a 1971 graduate of Manatee, we talked alot about the past as well as some of things he dealt with in as far as integration and its impact on High School athletics back then.

In as far as the game, I believe Port Charlotte just ran out of gas. Chad Chaote in his podcast with Jaquez, had questioned whether Port Charlotte would be prepared to play a full game, as their last 3 games had all seen running clocks...meaning their starters had pretty much just played one 1/2 half of football the last 3 games. after i play of football to begin the 2nd half Manatee was down 18-7. The 1st half for Manatee was a half filled with penalties, dropped passes, and missed tackles and Port Charlotte subsequently taking full advantage of all of it. Manatee from that point would outscore Port Charlotte 24-6 in the second half, throw in a last minute INT by the Manatee defense and it was enough for Manatee to sneak out of Port Charlotte with a win.

381000431_10223878900627191_7394284170950877080_n.jpg

Last edited:
Gatorman001, Riverview’s visitor side stands were like that once many years ago. It doesn’t look inviting.

That’s an interesting point about Port Charlotte taking the starters out early because of blowouts. You hear coaches being criticized for leaving starters in after achieving large leads. The only way for players to get into game shape is to play complete games.

I wouldn't had been aware of the running clock situation for Port Charlotte, had Chad Choate not mention it during his podcast. The humidity here in Florida is a situation that is hard to deal with, particularly as it relates to athletics. I'm not in the kind of shape anymore where I can run a mile or 2 at the drop of a hat, but the 11 year old grandson was down from Georgia last summer and was all about coming outside to help mow and do yard work with me......lasted 15-20 minutes and he was done, he couldn't believe I stayed out there until I finished.

Something coaches I'm assuming should maybe consider, when putting together a schedule in as far as preparing your team to play complete games.

One more thing about my conversation with the Grad Dad, he and I agreed Joe Kinnan probably never had the amount of skilled talent on this team. His comment to me was Joe had the ability to always do more with less, and in that comment in a indirect way summarizes my sentiment about the current head coaching situation at Manatee.

What a game! One of the best games I have witnessed in some time between two very good football teams! Conditioning did play into this. That is what you have to prepare for when you play poor team and don't get the in game reps. I was very impressed with Manatee's offensive line who went up against a very big, physical, talented and athletic front four. I agree that Manatee want go up against another front that talented and physical on their schedule.

In the second half Port Charlotte had a difficult time defending Manatee's passing attack as QB Andrew Heidel continually found wide open receivers in a confused and out of position PC secondary. Bon Beam Jr had his second straight over 100 yards receiving and scored his second TD of the game, a go ahead and game winner with a minute to go. Manatee is now (5-0). Already won more that one thread writer predicted they would win all season. Go Canes!

What a game! One of the best games I have witnessed in some time between two very good football teams! Conditioning did play into this. That is what you have to prepare for when you play poor team and don't get the in game reps. I was very impressed with Manatee's offensive line who went up against a very big, physical, talented and athletic front four. I agree that Manatee want go up against another front that talented and physical on their schedule.

In the second half Port Charlotte had a difficult time defending Manatee's passing attack as QB Andrew Heidel continually found wide open receivers in a confused and out of position PC secondary. Bon Beam Jr had his second straight over 100 yards receiving and scored his second TD of the game, a go ahead and game winner with a minute to go. Manatee is now (5-0). Already won more that one thread writer predicted they would win all season. Go Canes!
I predicted a 5-6 win season...........this was a game I didn't figure Manatee would win. Primarily due to how Manatee lost last year to a Port Charlotte team returning most of its key players and it being a home game for Port Charlotte. This win will go a long way to helping Jaquez achieve a cumulative 3 year winning record at the end of the season.

Lake Minneola lost last night to a undefeated Mainland team 31-28. Lake Minneola like Kissimmee Osceola (who hasn't won a game yet), have records that are highly deceiving if you're just going by win's and losses. The Lake Minneola win for Manatee is for me still its biggest win of the season at this point. Vanguard got throttled by Buchholz 30-10 last night, which was Vanguard's 1st loss of the season. I don't believe Manatee has played a complete game yet this season, the closest they've come to it was the Lake Minneola game.

Last edited:
The picture below was that state of the visitors bleachers at Port Charlotte HS last night that we were expected to sit on. Someone had cleaned the area where the band was going to be as you can see in the pic. Been going to alot of football games for almost 50+ years and had never seen anything like this. It appeared to be some kind of mildew?

Had the opportunity to be introduced to KP Price's Dad and Grad Dad before the game, Grad Dad was a 1971 graduate of Manatee, we talked alot about the past as well as some of things he dealt with in as far as integration and its impact on High School athletics back then.

In as far as the game, I believe Port Charlotte just ran out of gas. Chad Chaote in his podcast with Jaquez, had questioned whether Port Charlotte would be prepared to play a full game, as their last 3 games had all seen running clocks...meaning their starters had pretty much just played one 1/2 half of football the last 3 games. after i play of football to begin the 2nd half Manatee was down 18-7. The 1st half for Manatee was a half filled with penalties, dropped passes, and missed tackles and Port Charlotte subsequently taking full advantage of all of it. Manatee from that point would outscore Port Charlotte 24-6 in the second half, throw in a last minute INT by the Manatee defense and it was enough for Manatee to sneak out of Port Charlotte with a win.

Port Charlotte also had a running clock game in week 1. Bishop Verot beat them 56-21. All of Verot's games have been running clocks.

Port Charlotte also had a running clock game in week 1. Bishop Verot beat them 56-21. All of Verot's games have been running clocks.
Bishop Verot 42 Sarasota 14 (Running Clock)
Manatee 27 Sarasota 14 (No Running clock)

Bishop Verot 56 Port Charlotte 21 (Running Clock)
Manatee 31 Port Charlotte 24 (No Running Clock, Manatee's needs a late TD & INT to seal the win)

perspective.........

Reactions: Wavebb
Back during Manatee’s heyday they had a lot of running clocks and went on to win state championships. I don’t put a lot into that but I’m sure both teams were fatigued and tired! Manatee’s defense was on the field almost all night long. They were also tired.

Manatee is a very good football team! I still think they haven't played to their potential. And for you to think they will only win 5 games this year tells me you know little about them! At there very worse maybe 7-3.....They have gotten better each year under Green! He was given a program that was in disarray! With very little administrative support and no coaches! With the help of getting rid of a non supportive AD and Principal he has been able to each year get in better coaches and support! Green has finally surrounded himself with good coaches and it's paying off. Green knows the game and has been involved in it on every level. He is well respected by his peers and knows a lot of football people! That will continue to help him get good players to play for him! That is already showing in probably the best Freshmen class that they have had overall in many years! They will continue to get better and the cupboard is not bare for years to come. They will even be better next year! Very proud of this group of young players! They really love and play for each other. Great team chemistry and it showed last night! Coach Green needs to be given the credit he deserves! Everyone involved in this program, I mean really involved knows that! And for all the outside noise and negativity these players don't care! Go Canes!!

Back during Manatee’s heyday they had a lot of running clocks and went on to win state championships. I don’t put a lot into that but I’m sure both teams were fatigued and tired! Manatee’s defense was on the field almost all night long. They were also tired.
If that's what you like to believe, you run with it.!

You might however want to do some research about how Manatee, Sarasota, and Riverview were split into separate districts in the 80's, despite their close proximity to each other. In part because Pinellas county teams didn't care for the way Joe wouldn't let up off the accelerator, when Manatee grounded teams into the ground for almost the entire game despite lopsided scores. So they petitioned the FHSAA to get Manatee out of their districts. That was about the same time Joe started traveling around the state to get games during the regular season, because teams in the immediate area wouldn't play Manatee. in fact after the 84 season Manatee had games against Merritt Island, Miami Killian, and Miami Northwestern during the 1985 season to fill out its schedule. Also played teams from as far away Jacksonville Ed White, Pensacola Senior during the 80's to fill out its regular season schedule.

Joe had a firm belief on preparing his team to play come playoff time, as well as its was his job to prepare his team to execute his offense and play defense and he couldn't do that with players on the sideline. Many didn't care for his style or beliefs.......but it was who joe was.

Last edited:
Manatee is a very good football team! I still think they haven't played to their potential. And for you to think they will only win 5 games this year tells me you know little about them! At there very worse maybe 7-3.....They have gotten better each year under Green! He was given a program that was in disarray! With very little administrative support and no coaches! With the help of getting rid of a non supportive AD and Principal he has been able to each year get in better coaches and support! Green has finally surrounded himself with good coaches and it's paying off. Green knows the game and has been involved in it on every level. He is well respected by his peers and knows a lot of football people! That will continue to help him get good players to play for him! That is already showing in probably the best Freshmen class that they have had overall in many years! They will continue to get better and the cupboard is not bare for years to come. They will even be better next year! Very proud of this group of young players! They really love and play for each other. Great team chemistry and it showed last night! Coach Green needs to be given the credit he deserves! Everyone involved in this program, I mean really involved knows that! And for all the outside noise and negativity these players don't care! Go Canes!!
Manatee was within 1:13 seconds of ending up with a "L" last night, and it took blown coverage for Manatee to get that game winning TD. Port Charlotte on its kickoff return was almost to the 50 yard line with 2 time outs, this game wasn't decided until Manatee got the INT......that's the difference between the worst case 7-3 record your pushing now and a potential 6-4 record Manatee would have had based on your worst case 7-3 prediction..... if not for blown coverage and a INT.......sometimes it about the breaks, but I'm looking at the entirety of the season after 5 games. Manatee hasn't yet played a complete game and it needs to started getting close to doing that.......right now I see the 1st game against Lake Minneola as being the only game where Manatee came close to that. That's on the head coach to get his team there...........he certainly has a multitude of talent to put him in prime position to do that...........will he? The Venice and Riverview games will provide a pretty clear picture on where Manatee is at year 3 under Jaquez.

I don’t know if you are a true Manatee fan or not but your threats are nothing but critical and negative toward the program and the team. These are high school kids playing their hearts out and you can’t give them credit for being a 1:13 away from losing, instead of praising the heart and fight that they had to win the game.. I think you over analyze and think you know more than what you really do! It be the last negative thing I say toward you, but I support this team along with several other people on this thread, and we would appreciate if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say it at all, I’m sure your mama and daddy told you that at one point in your life.
Sure they might lose the Riverview. They might lose to Venice. But doesn’t take away from how good of a football team they are. It’s high school football but I’m telling you now that Manatee is capable of beating everybody on their schedule. Does it mean they will….

"Manatee is capable of beating everybody on their schedule"

Sure they are, every game starts the same 0-0.......I just expect more than just trying....I said the following in my initial post ".Manatee kept getting after it, by finding life with its passing game to find some of that Manatee Magic of old to pull out a 31-24 win!" what you don't like is my subsequent honest critique of the game...thank you for your contribution and here's your participation trophy...obviously its something you become condition to expect in life.

Nick Saban's unique motivational tactic for Alabama football players after a loss.​

If I were a betting man I would say you probably never played this game. One of those armchair QB’s that thinks he knows everything. Well, with that said, I will say you are very entertaining!!

• Wow
Reactions: gatorman001
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT