ADVERTISEMENT

Manatee 27 Sarasota 14 FINAL

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
Fighting a cold presently, so decided not to make the trip to Bradenton last night and instead watch the game online while listening to the guys on radio call the game. Going into the game I was expecting Manatee to win, in part due to the way Sarasota had lost its kick-off classic and then lost to Fort Meade last week. I hear the stuff about the limited practice time, due to the Hurricane this past week to explain Manatee's flat performance last night.

.So before I comment on the game last night, wanted to add some context. After the game I went back and watched the Sarasota versus Fort Meade game. I also kept tabs on the Lake Minneola game versus Vanguard, during the Manatee/Sarasota game last night.

Vanguard won the game 33-21, and the game took on a story similar to what I watched last week against Manatee. Vanguard jumped out to a 21-7 lead, only to watch Lake Minneola come back to tie the game 21-21 at half. 2nd half Vanguard scored to open up a 28-21 lead, and from there it was more less a battle of field possession, with Vanguard scoring its last TD on a long pass play near the end of the game to make it 33-21.

Sarasota against Fort Mede was a game of 2 similar teams with similar styles and personnel. The exception to that was Fort Meade was able to put points on the board, while Sarasota seemed to find ways to not be able to do the same. It was the kind of game where if the two teams were to play again I could see a result with a different out come. Will add this tid bit about that game, the Fort Meade junior RB, ran for over 200 yards against Sarasota on just 20 carries and its other Junior RB had 70 yards rushing on 10 carries. That's a average of 9 yards per carry. Sarasota's RB Ziegler had 120 rushing on 20 carries against Fort Meade.

Against Manatee I fairly certain Zeigler had well over 100 yards rushing, Sarasota's inability to put together any kind of consistent passing attacked together, pretty much doomed them offensively against Manatee. What Sarasota was able to do however was run consistently against perhaps Manatee's biggest asset on defense....its DL. I'm beginning to feel however, Manatee DB play is going to be Manatee's biggest asset this season! I find the Manatee DL, having watched 3 games, being undisciplined and instead tend to rely more on its superior over-all talent. I also still feel its LB play particularly at MLB is weak.

On offense Manatee is blessed with elite speed and talent at all skilled positions. Its OL is young and is still working to come together. The OL has its good moments and then its not so good moments. Liking the TE play more and more, just 3 games into the season, but I believe this young man is going to be a better TE over-all then TE Manatee had last season! The Manatee QB is a tuff mother.....he's taken some big hits in each of Manatee's 1st 3 games, that makes me question whether he'll be able to do that all season? Manatee presently does not have a true backup QB. The Manatee QB is probably the best over-all QB Manatee has had since Cord Sandberg, in that he has a above average arm as well as being an above average athlete. Not saying he is as good, but he does have the potential to be really good eventually!

Was frustrating to watch Manatee struggle offensively much of the night, its assemble the kind of talent that could make them really really good......they are however not close to achieving that....yet.

If Manatee and Sarasota were to meet again later this season, and Manatee hasn't progressed in a positive manner in the areas of concern I've mentioned.......I could see the game ending with a different outcome in as far as a final score.

Last edited:
Short week and lack of practice really showed as Manatee sort of slept walked past Sarasota…..on to next week game at home against winless Charlotte.

This is how I should give my post about the Ft Myers @ St Thomas Aquinas game we attended.
I checked into the game once and saw its was still 0-0 in the 1st QT, but figured the final score was going to be something close to what it was.

I didn't write anything because I wasn't feeling the best and was still watching last weeks Sarasota versus Fort Meade game. Figured I edit it this morning which I have now.......

I checked into the game once and saw its was still 0-0 in the 1st QT, but figured the final score was going to be something close to what it was.

I didn't write anything because I wasn't feeling the best and was still watching last weeks Sarasota versus Fort Meade game. Figured I edit it this morning which I have now.......
That Green Wave score check must have occurred immediately once toe met leather.

Last edited:
Actually Manatee’s defense didn’t play that badly overall. Besides Sarasota’s last dive against Manatee’s backups they held Sarasota to under 200 yards of offense. I disagree that Manatee’s LB’s are weak! #57 Max Freeman, #11 Isaiah Perry and #20 Trevon Pinder have all graded out well. Manatee is still missing their top LB #5 Demontez McDowell who should be back soon.
Offensively, they have to get better and be more consistent! I still don’t think they have found their identity, way too much team speed and talent on that side of the ball! They will get better as the year goes on. And most likely will explode on somebody soon!! Seriously, they have not been able to practice a full week since the season has started. It matter a lot with consistency and continuity.

Last weak #57 made 2 total tackles and I want to say only 1 of those were within 3 yards of the original line of scrimmage. No official stats for last nights game yet, but I want to say over 1/2 of his tackles were again, well beyond the original line of scrimmage. I've noted also he has an extremely difficult time disengaging from blocks. If that's what your looking for from your MLB, then I guess your happy? For me I want my MLB in or around almost every tackle, for plays involving action between the OT's

# 57 was also completely man handled during the IMG game, as I recall only 1 of his tackles (and I want to say he only had 3-4 that game) was within 3 yards of the original line of scrimmage. He whiffed completely on 2-3 tackles as well during that game. Because I was watching other things on defense during the IMG game, I had my wife keep track of his play for me.......before she provided me actual results when I asked ......her initial comment to was "Honey, he runs around out there almost like he's doesn't know where to go or what's going on?"

He's big enough to play with the physicality you'd expect from a MLB, but unfortunately he does not? I believe there a place for him on this defense, I just don't believe MLB is it. Although I have no idea how fast #55 or 58 is, I'd like to see what putting either one of those 2 at MLB would do in as far as being a enforcer at the MLB position for this defense?

I don't disagree that the MLB isn't meeting your expectations but let's look at a couple of things. One, your's suggestion to move #55 (Ean Johnson Kelley) to MLB isn't happening. The 265 pound DE is actually one of the best in the state and his stats prove it. Including the KOC, he's got 6 sacks, double digit TFL's and 2 FF and you thinking about moving him. well that's a negative! Second, I think Sarasota was running a scheme that was gonna try to keep the ball away from Manatee's offense and run clock. They played with a TE and an HB setup behind the OT and TE, so they created extra gaps to defend. It's numbers game and sometimes the offense wins. And this may sound crazy, but there are schemes and rules to defense. The MLB may be doing his job and assignment and filling a gap that the RB doesn't go into. So there should be someone else assigned to that gap to do their job. Without us knowing where Max should be going, how can we criticize him? We will be getting back LB Damontez McDowell soon and they might move him to MLB even though they like him outside! Max Freeman played well for Manatee last year so let see as the season progresses. Manatee's front four are damn good and if they are doing their jobs it can be a little deceiving of what's going on LB wise. Max is a hard worker and has really worked hard to get better. He will be fine so lets see how things progress.

I hear you on everything you mentioned, but I want to correct you one thing regarding the type of season Max had last year. Of the 3 starting LB's last year, Max had lowest tackle total of the 3 starting LB's averaging only 3.7 total tackles per game. McDowell led the team in total tackles last year, by the way.

I've zeroed in on Max because I noted some things about his play from the very beginning starting with the IMG game, Watched him even closer the next 2 games because I wanted to know if it was just a anomaly for 1 game or something consistent with his play. That's what led me to have already reviewed his play from last season as well.

If you go back and watch film, Max's tackles are more what I call pursuit tackles, (typically well beyond the original line of scrimmage). I also agree that Max has too much potential to not find a place for him on this defense, but unfortunately MLB is not it.

I don’t understand why # 57 is being singled out. He will continue to get better and he’ll make plays for manatees defense. There are 10 other players that make up that defense and all of them need to play well together to be successful. None of us are football coaches and don’t know what goes on on the practice field. It’s easy to criticize and nitpick. Remember these are high school kids and let’s let them play and enjoy themselves and the experience!!

why dont they post the scores and ap rankings on here no more?

Gatorman, have some official stats for you…

#57 Max Freeman 7 tackles, 1 TFL, 1 Sack

#55 Ean Johnson Kelly 4 tackles, 3 TFL, 2 sacks and 4 QB PR

#8 R. Sexil 4 tackles, 2 PBU

When looking to data to hopefully validate a point you're wanting to make, your best way at doing that is by establishing a trend line. I would typically have my employees to do these type of presentations mid-year and end of year for that very reason.

We're not at a mid year point for the 23-24 season, but I do have data available that can provide a last 5 game picture of the over-all play for #57.

Solo Asst Total
10/28/22 Palmetto - 3 3 6
11/04/22 Southeast - 1 0 1
11/11/22 Sarasota - 1 0 1
08/25/23 LMHS - 2 0 2
09/01/23 Sarasota 4 3 7

So in between his games of having 6 and 7 total tackles, we have 3 games where 1, 1, and 2 were his total tackles for those three games. So you tell me does his game last week change the over-all trend or does it by the season's mid-point become nothing more then a blip on the radar screen?

Last edited:
Max is a good LB on a very good defense. He is not going to be relied on to make a lot of tackles. If Manatee's front four are doing their job you want see that! So far Manatee has not blitzed much so Max will drop back into coverage more. He has graded out well in all three games he has played. So let's let the kid play without being so critical of his play. He will have had a good year when it's all said and done.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT