ADVERTISEMENT

Fort Meade34 Bartow10

There are 781 private and parochial high schools in Florida. Out of those 147 have football programs. Out of those 147 how many have football teams with winning records? Just a handful. You can tally them up on Maxpreps. As such, it would seem that a very few private high schools do any type of so called "recruiting". I will agree, that out of that small handful, there are maybe half a dozen to a dozen or so that do selectively pick some of their students primarily for their athletic ability. Half a dozen or so out of 147. Not a very large percentage. Considering that private schools are at a disadvantage athletically. While the public schools have a vast amount of students who are eligible for sports, simply because they can't turn away any student who is districted for that school, the private schools can only sign up students who can afford the tuition (most students can't afford the tuition even with government subsidies), and that can meet the rest of the school's entrance requirements. That leaves a whole bunch of good athletes not available to private schools. Also, from what I have seen, most private school students live in the same county where the school is located. Very few students come from other areas. I don't know about other private schools. But, at Trinity Catholic there have actually been more football players transfer out to public schools than have transferred in from public schools over the years. In conclusion, separating private and public schools may seem like a good idea but doesn't seem to make much sense considering the very few privates that actually may have a persieved advantage over publics.

ProSetEye...every word of what you shared is also what I have witnessed and experienced after spending time on both sides of the fence. But, during the first scene of the Phac Nam play, Phac Nam was played by a public school coach and teacher...as such, Phac Nam bought into the same rhetoric as everyone else. Then the scene changed and the role of Phac Nam was played by a private school teacher and coach...all of a sudden, Phac Nam was faced with the facts and not the myths. What I have seen - long before this thread materialized - is that public school only folks (I was one of them from birth until my late-30's) refuse to listen to the reality of the private school world...we (public schoolers) insist upon thinking that private schools have all the money, resources, and desire to cheat...but, truth be told, that ain't the case. And that is why segregation isn't the answer...don't worry, I'm going to start beating that dead horse again...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT