ADVERTISEMENT

Canes hire new coach

You have not laid out any facts just stats. Stats are not facts. Why is he a bad coach? I know significantly more coaches who have never even coached in a state championship game than have won one. He very well may suck but I need more than his record to go on. Is his defense unsound, is he too vanilla play calling, weak vs multiple formations. Stats weenies annoy me. I have no problem talking crap about other coaches who do Mickey Mouse crap or who can't get out of their own way and win. I know I've had a few year stretches where we couldn't get the right jimmys and Joes together to get after it. Gotta have more than scores and records to convince anyone who actually knows high school football, but please continue entertaining yourself stats guy.

Why is he a bad coach?

You really want me to restate everything I've said?

Good grief.

1) He inherited a top 40 program in the state (coming off a state runner-up finish) and went 10-11 in his final two seasons.

2) Two years ago (2015) his defense gave up 31 points a game. Do you realize how bad that is? He's a defensive coach and he has no clue how to coach defense. You could find competent Pop Warner coaches who wouldn't give up 31 points per game with those athletes at Lincoln.

3) These are some of the point totals he surrendered: 41, 48, 38, 45, 33, 35, 39, 41, 40, 30, 38, 33, 43, 49, 34, 57, 41, 34, 49, 48, 30, 39, 56, 35.

That's 1/4 of his total games at Lincoln where his defenses gave up 30 points or more.

Is it registering with you yet? He had good athletes at a good program! And he was getting smashed repeatedly.

4) He's not good with people. Whether it's parents or college coaches.

The real question should be does anybody have an example of anything positive that he brings to the table?

Gotta have more than scores and records to convince anyone who actually knows high school football, but please continue entertaining yourself stats guy.

This is comical.

The guy had a top 40 program and couldn't win games.

He gave up 30 or more points in 25% of his games.

But that's not convincing enough.

It ain't rocket science dude. But if you need more convincing then watch his film.

You seem lazy and unwilling to look at it yourself.

I've lived long enough to see this said.

Stats are not facts.

Wow.
That was literally one of the first things my professor said in an advanced stats class. He had a PhD in stats so it stuck with me. You have increased the level of your analysis with one potential fact, he's not good with people, Bravo.

That was literally one of the first things my professor said in an advanced stats class. He had a PhD in stats so it stuck with me.

So to this point, two days later, you haven't been able to dispute a single thing said in this thread. All you've done is say that stats aren't facts.

Oh and talk about your idiot stats professor.

You have increased the level of your analysis with one potential fact, he's not good with people, Bravo.

He's not good at anything related to being a head coach.

But you're clearly not interested in the topic. You just want to attack the messenger and play silly games with words.

And many of them are better coaches than him.

Curt Bradley will own him.
Curt Bradley could let his cat coach this year and Braden River should own Manatee this year so that is not a huge barometer.
So to this point, two days later, you haven't been able to dispute a single thing said in this thread. All you've done is say that stats aren't facts.

Oh and talk about your idiot stats professor.
In my defense I don't care about, know, or have a vested interest in this coach. I do not plan on getting his film to review it to dispute your well thought out analysis. I stand by one of my earlier statements that you have not coached high school football and are a stats weenie. I dispute your intelligence.

Curt Bradley could let his cat coach this year and Braden River should own Manatee this year so that is not a huge barometer.

Because Curt Bradley actually developed a program. He took over a doormat and turned them into a legitimate contender.

Yusuf Shakir did the opposite.

I stand by one of my earlier statements that you have not coached high school football and are a stats weenie. I dispute your intelligence.

You're clearly a fool who avoids topics because you're not informed enough.

Do you have anything to say on the actual topic before I leave?

Hey I get it those films are confusing it's much easier to quote numbers. I mean who cares about actual football stuff like which hand is down. What adjustments do they make or not make. Specific Gaps unaccounted for, linebackers not pressing los. Long snapper snapping with one hand. Why not give us viewers some facts, so we can say dang what a horrible hire. Hell there is a great chance he is a horrible hire he was like choice number 4 or 5 apparently. Educate us.

Andrew, he's asking you to state why exactly this dude is a bad coach. You can't just point to records. That can be misleading. He wants to know what makes the guy a bad coach. Does he run schemes that don't fit his personnel? Does he leaves gaps/zones unaccounted for? Do his kids use poor technique? Ya know, the things that people who actually know football point to.

There's some terrible coaches who have winning records, especially in South Florida. You can't always point to records.

Reactions: SotaCoach1
Let's look back at the hiring process. I don't know who was the the first or the third. One guy they couldn't match his $, the other guy they didn't like his offense, and not much was said about the 3rd guy. I understand the county will only let someone bring in 8 yrs. of experience, and if an applicant has more years at a previous county that is not a good deal. So you move down the ladder and hire the next best one in line. The hire has been made and the community should rally around and support the guy hired. If it doesn't work out you start again, people please remember it is HS football.

Just stumbled across this thread......like I said in the other thread......this isn't the kind of hire I would have supported................The decision makers behind this obviously have agenda's that is going to keep away the better choices that were originally out there and/or they had become desperate! He will not last beyond 3 years at Manatee mark my words!

Go Canes Go!

Are you going to root for him while he is there?

I've seen his teams, I always thought they played hard, and were well coached. He also does a good job of getting players to college, and many of them who get there, actually graduate.

I don't understand why @CarlosDanger is going to such great extent to say the guy sucks. He's won a state championship, and has been there twice. He has a good record against what most people would consider very tough schedules. I don't know who applied at Manatee, but i'd say it would be hard to bring in someone with a better record or credentials. Especially if what was said about having to take a pay cut is true.

I hope everyone will at least support the guy and give him a chance. The NFL ranks are littered with coaches who have had little to moderate success at places, then are great at others, and vice versa. Good coaching does not always show in the win/loss column. I know many very good coaches who've never sniffed the state championship game. I've also seen some teams who could get there if the girls soccer coach coached them.

Making it to multiple state championship games is not that common, 90-95% of schools in the state would be thrilled for their coach to have had that kind of success.

Columbia went 7-4. Nicevile went 8-3 and lost in the first round of the playoffs.

So now those kind of teams are just too good for Lincoln to beat.

Good grief.

The apologizing for this guy is unbelievable.

A Columbia team who also beat apopka who is a top 10% program

Exactly, back to your cave of stats and weenieness Mr. Lack of danger in your life. Maybe find a chick, chicks dig stats.

Was there a committee doing the interviews and making recommendations or did the Principle do everything? Just curious how it's done elsewhere...

For at least the last 20yrs (1997-2017) the best N. Florida large publics have been Niceville, Lincoln, and Columbia. A loss to any of the three isn't really a shocker. They all have good solid athletic program's. You win some, you lose some...

Reactions: Columbiahighfan
We have to just wait and see how it all progresses. Booth didn't have the credentials for the job and he did pretty good with Kinnan's players. I think the ship was sinking and he knew that. The new Lincoln coach has a lot on his plate but I think you have to be supportive and let him prove himself first.

Reactions: DarterBlue2
We have to just wait and see how it all progresses. Booth didn't have the credentials for the job and he did pretty good with Kinnan's players. I think the ship was sinking and he knew that. The new Lincoln coach has a lot on his plate but I think you have to be supportive and let him prove himself first.

Tons of talent in the area here. Guy says he wants to become a part of the community and wants to keep whatever staff wants to stay aboard.

Hopefully it works out.

Retain a staff that does not have its former DC hired Jones who is unproven as a DC the DL was not very good or well coached. If Carlos does have true insight and this guy tends to give up points I hope MHS can score bc they will be scored on. In our area Venice and River have the capability to put up points and it appears Southeast (even though they dont play just referencing what appears to be a better O now that Mr West has had a year) and Palmetto will be better offensively. Add Armwood Lakeland and district game View I see the Canes going 6-4ish this year give or take one on either side of the W-L column

Reactions: CoachMacho
Hey I get it those films are confusing it's much easier to quote numbers. I mean who cares about actual football stuff like which hand is down. What adjustments do they make or not make. Specific Gaps unaccounted for, linebackers not pressing los. Long snapper snapping with one hand. Why not give us viewers some facts, so we can say dang what a horrible hire. Hell there is a great chance he is a horrible hire he was like choice number 4 or 5 apparently. Educate us.

Good (or sound) coaches don't take over one of the top 30 or so programs in the state and put it into the ground.

Defensive coaches don't take over talented rosters and give up 600 yards in a game or get gashed for 30+ points with regularity.

Your apparent laziness and coaching pseudo-intellectualism can't cover for Shakir's shortcomings.

Exactly, back to your cave of stats and weenieness Mr. Lack of danger in your life. Maybe find a chick, chicks dig stats.

Have you actually said anything in this thread?

Apparently being dealt one of the best hands in the state on the first day of school and going 10-11 over the last two years means nothing regarding his coaching ability.

Sure thing.

Good (or sound) coaches don't take over one of the top 30 or so programs in the state and put it into the ground.

Defensive coaches don't take over talented rosters and give up 600 yards in a game or get gashed for 30+ points with regularity.

Your apparent laziness and coaching pseudo-intellectualism can't cover for Shakir's shortcomings.
Valid point.

As far as Manatee goes, they will either win or come in 2nd in the district. It will be out of them and Riverview. They are going to destroy Southeast this year. Southeast is too small in the trenches. They will make playoffs but I can see them losing to Riverview, Venice, Braden River, Lakeland, and possbily Palmetto. I think keeping the staff makes it easy for the first year so he doesn't have to search. The staff and players have to buy in to what he is trying to do.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT