ADVERTISEMENT

Canes hire new coach

Congratulations to the Manatee program. Interesting.....Sounds like he was hired rather quickly after the interview.

What was the HC status of Manatee when Shakur resigned at Lincoln?

What does he like to run on O and D- will that affect the new QB that had a good spring? Where does this put the new DC they just hired? Despite all those things I think a good hire for Manatee Co and Manatee High in name stature... The wins should come sooner rather than later and bigger wins in the playoffs

Reactions: BrowardHandicapper
From what I gather he was leaving Lincoln for other opportunities. He didn't leave on bad terms or was he asked to leave. He has a great rapore with his players and they really love him. Manatee's players will be excited to play for him!

Reactions: BrowardHandicapper
I knew that name was familiar. Glad to see they got someone with winning experience. Best of luck to Manatee next season!

From what I gather he was leaving Lincoln for other opportunities. He didn't leave on bad terms or was he asked to leave. He has a great rapore with his players and they really love him. Manatee's players will be excited to play for him!

When was the last time a coach resigned at his alma mater to pursue "other" interests? The guy was pushed out.

He's terrible. He was 25-19 in his last 4 years at Lincoln. He's also a defensive coach by trade and yet gave up a record 609 yards in a state championship game.

His teams were always poorly coached.

He also got a DUI before he coached his first game at Lincoln.

As someone who wants Manatee to lose, this is a great hire.

Glad to see they got someone with winning experience.

2013: 7-5
2014: 8-3
2015: 5-7
2016: 5-4

Good one, guy.

The longer he was there, the worst they got.

Name me the last "good" or "winning" coach that had that kind of effect on his team.

It seems that the Manatee administration is incompetent if they had over 100+ applicants and this is the guy they hired.

Didn't he win a state championship at Lincoln? I think this is a good hire. He can get Manatee back to their days of dominance.

Wow Carlos coming out strong not liking the hire with his first couple of posts. Looks like he's thought it out, or has an axe to grind.

You guys may recall I posted yesterday that the article I read had his Principal saying he was leaving to pursue "Professional opportunities."

Seems like a very good coach, but interesting in that a mere 8 weeks ago his principal said that they had been talking about "professional opportunities" and he was off for that. Wonder what that was all about.

I guess he got sidetracked with a quick stop for an interview ( TWC said he just interviewed) and a job offer. If TWC is correct (and we know he isn't always) that tells me Manatee made a quick decision, meaning they may have been in a fix to find someone because after all this process for whatever reason(s), they hadn't.

Last edited:
Didn't he win a state championship at Lincoln?

With a 4-loss team in one of greatest flukes in state championship history.

He's been living off that fluke ever since and will be sure to keep milking it as long as people like you are willing to allow it.

Just stumbled across this thread......like I said in the other thread......this isn't the kind of hire I would have supported................The decision makers behind this obviously have agenda's that is going to keep away the better choices that were originally out there and/or they had become desperate! He will not last beyond 3 years at Manatee mark my words!

Go Canes Go!

Sounds like they lost out in a lot of the candidates they initially wanted but to me this sounds like a good hire.

I'd like to hear from some of the Tallahassee people. Will he be the DC? What's the plan for OC?

I'm curious to see how this works out.

Reactions: peezy28
Just stumbled across this thread......like I said in the other thread......this isn't the kind of hire I would have supported................The decision makers behind this obviously have agenda's that is going to keep away the better choices that were originally out there and/or they had become desperate! He will not last beyond 3 years at Manatee mark my words!

Go Canes Go!

I believe you are right. It will be another Booth situation at best.

Reactions: peezy28
What is the issue? The guy one a state championship with a 4 loss team, that speaks volumes. This is a good hire.

Great hire for Manatee! What is the timeline for him to install his O and D, and the community to accept him? Give him time and he will produce a winner.

I'd like to hear from some of the Tallahassee people. Will he be the DC? What's the plan for OC?

If you're a Manatee fan you'd better hope he's not the defensive coordinator.

I mean its bad enough that he's your head coach.

What is the issue? The guy one a state championship with a 4 loss team, that speaks volumes. This is a good hire.

The guy sucks and can't coach.

Yeah he lost 4 games with a team that was at least somewhat capable of pulling off the greatest fluke in state championship history.

It speaks more to his poor coaching that they lost 4 games.

And don't live your life based on flukes and one-off events. You'll be left holding the bag at the end.

Give him time and he will produce a winner.

Based on nothing whatsoever.

The guy inherited a state runner-up team (2008) and proceeded to degrade the program for the next 8 years to which point he left behind a 5-4 dumpster fire.

He was 10-11 in his last two seasons.

Carlos why the hate for someone that appears to be successful at Gibbs (usually terrible) and bringing home hardware in Tally? Also, what does he run on O and D- what will we be looking for?

Looks like he's thought it out, or has an axe to grind.

This is an interesting place that people go to when confronting criticism.

The 8 years before Shakir (2001-08): 81-22-1 (.784%)
The 8 years of Shakir (2009-16): 66-31-0 (.680%)

A significant regression of the program under Shakir. Both on and off the field.

I wouldn't even need his record to say he's a bad coach. I've seen his teams. I've watched film.

But the record should end all debate.

I believe you are right. It will be another Booth situation at best.

I disagree a little with this post.

The Booth situation was a horrible attempt to over shadow the dismissal of CJK.

Bring in the home-town kid and hope for the best.

Some coaches are just born with that gift to turn programs into winning ones and some aren't.

Carlos why the hate for someone that appears to be successful at Gibbs (usually terrible) and bringing home hardware in Tally? Also, what does he run on O and D- what will we be looking for?

It's like people don't even read before they respond. Have my previous posts not conveyed my argument articulately enough?

The guy can't coach and his record (as I've posted) proves it.

And he was successful as Gibbs?

2005: 5-5
2006: 4-6
SHAKIR HIRED
2007: 6-5
2008: 4-6
SHAKIR LEFT
2009: 6-5
2010: 3-7

He was 10-11. They were 9-11 the two years prior and 9-12 the two years after.

So he had very little impact (if any) on that program.

His career record (Gibbs and Lincoln) is 76-42 (.644%).

Completely mediocre especially for a guy that spent the vast majority of his career at a top 10% job in Florida.

off the field??? elaborate please....

The guy got a DUI before he had coached a single game at Lincoln. He had to have his ass saved by personal contacts on the school board and in the community.

This guy has been handed jobs he wasn't qualified or competent for and then had to have his personal failures ignored so he could keep those jobs.

Not to mention he's not very good at getting his kids into college.

He also wasn't well-liked by the parents at the end of his tenure.

This guy is a grease fire choice by Manatee.

http://www.bradenton.com/sports/article152685409.html

“Being able to develop a program, I think, speaks a lot about a coach,” LaPoint said.

Takes over a state runner-up and drives the program right into the ground but the AD at Manatee thinks he "developed" a program.

This proves that a lot of these AD's are incompetent and have no idea what they're doing.

Who would you have hired Carlos...

A question I can't answer since I don't know all of the candidates nor was I present at any of the interviews.

But what's clear is that LaPoint is clueless and Shakir keeps getting rewarded for not being good at his job.

It's astounding.

Reactions: 4A 8 FAN
Hiring a New Head Coach: Here are the facts, and others on here can confirm this or look it up on the FDOE, Manatee County is awful at paying teachers. Salaries are below average for the state and below the average in the surrounding counties. Sarasota County is $7,000 more on average than Manatee. That’s absurd. And you wonder why coaches won’t leave a school to come to Manatee? I know teachers who got $10,000 raises when they went to Sarasota County. That’s not even the worse part. Manatee County only accepts 8 years when you transfer in. So a guy teaching for 20 years in FL is going to drop to a salary of an 8 year teacher? Its insane. So before people go posting on articles in the paper they should know facts. The program isn’t in disarray and candidates didn’t withdraw because they thought the program was “F’d” up, it’s the fact that Manatee County doesn’t support its teachers well enough. That is not a reflection on the Manatee Football Program though. It’s the cards we were dealt. Some BIG time coaches were extremely interested in the job but just couldn’t do it. I spoke to some personally. And yes boosters had money but that doesn’t help when you lose your years in retirement coming into this county.

Whether or not Shakir will be successful only time will tell. But I will say this, on the list of applicants, there was only 1 guy who was a HC and won a state title. Winning state titles doesn’t happen all the time. Shakir inherited a great program yes, but that program wasn’t state title winner every year before he took it over. 99 and 01 they won titles, and 06 and 08 they were runner up. He then took over in 2009 and in 4 years won a title and had a runner up. Since 2013, Lincoln lost to the team in the playoffs that went to the finals 2/4 years. Football is cyclical. Look at Manatee in mid to late 90s. We had some dull years. It happens. In 08 we didnt make playoffs to come back in 09 and make it to State Final. Doesn’t mean Coach Kinnan and his staff were all of a sudden terrible? Sometimes the talent level isn’t as good as years before. Doesn’t mean the coach isn’t putting in the time and leading the team with the best of his abilities. I think Shakir has the abilities to be successful at Manatee. I know this; he embraces the history of the program. He has already embraced it and knows whom to reach out to etc.

As a Hurricane Alum and past player and past coach of this storied program, I am going to support Coach Shakir and the players especially. We all lose sight of what they give to the program. A lot of time and energy is spent inside the weight room and locker room for these young men. I am grateful they are at Manatee and are adding to the legacy.

Cane Pride Never Dies! Go Canes Go!

Now Gatorman, Why are you still saying Go Canes Go and having the MHS helmet as your profile pic? You clearly are not a supporter. You have bitched on here for years about Manatee football and are always negative. Shoot back in 2009-2012, one of our greatest runs in program history; you bitched about Joe and other things about the program. A true fan supports the program. I don’t mean you can’t have a different opinion from the powers at be, but lets not be a cancer. Support the program, and honestly you don’t support the program. 1) You do not donate to Boosters to help with the cost to run the program. 2) You do not give your time to the program. You have not volunteered coached or held chains at a game. So truly, are you a supporter? Look at what you posted on Bradenton Herald. Negative comments. AGAIN. Why? The Manatee Football FB page is meant to support the student athletes and program, not for you to have another platform to be miserable on. You come on here and think you “know” the program yet don’t even live anywhere near it. You do not come to practice and see what the team is like, so how can you “know” so much. At least some of the posters on here actually live in their area and know some guys on staff and talk with them about their program. Tom, I know your comeback will be how bad of a coach you think I was but here’s the thing, I put my time and energy into it and hopefully effected young men and made them better people. You have no clue what its like coaching because you never have coached. You are an internet tough guy who throws his opinions out there and they really don’t matter because you don’t support the program. I look forward to stepping away from teaching and coaching and SUPPORTING the booster club and the program in different ways. Maybe you should think about doing the same.

But I will say this, on the list of applicants, there was only 1 guy who was a HC and won a state title.

If this was the deciding factor for LaPoint then it only confirms my original thoughts.

Incompetent and lazy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT