ADVERTISEMENT

Canes hire new coach

Since 2013, Lincoln lost to the team in the playoffs that went to the finals 2/4 years.

But what does that have to do with his 25-19 overall record?

His teams have stunk since that state runner-up finish in 2012. It doesn't matter who they lost to in the playoffs. He lost 15 other games in those seasons.

Football is cyclical.

You know what's not cyclical?

Good coaching.

That would produce consistent and competent performance over a number of years.

In Shakir's case he gets lucky a couple of times (2010, 2012) because of the up "cycle" and basically stinks every other year.

I think Shakir has the abilities to be successful at Manatee. I know this; he embraces the history of the program. He has already embraced it and knows whom to reach out to etc.

The guy sucks.

Anybody who knows him or has seen his teams understands that.

You're just a deluded Manatee fan who is engaging in wishful thinking.

So Carlos, what's your interaction with Yusuf Shakir? Are you a Lincoln fan or did you play for him or coach with him? Just curious to know where your point of view is coming from. You just seem awfully invested in this and know him well.

Reactions: The Prep Fan
Are you a Lincoln fan or did you play for him or coach with him? Just curious to know where your point of view is coming from.

All of that is my business, not yours.

Just focus on the substance of what I'm saying.

You just seem awfully invested in this and know him well.

I'm invested in the facts.

I know enough to know the truth. It really shouldn't be that hard for an athletic director to figure it out too.

But it seems that it was.

...and proceeded to put it into a ditch by performing more than .100 points lower in winning percentage than the previous 8 years.

Not that I have any interest in this, nor do I follow Tallahassee area football, but as you point out that Lincoln started on a decline, Rickards and Godby started on an upswing.

Carlos, I understand the facts and the record he's had. TBH though, the losses are to teams that are pretty good. This year was Niceville, Columbia, Richards... all did very well this year. So that's why I asked you how are you invested in this. Are you a Lincoln fan who is upset with the last 4 years? Are you a parent? Ex player who experienced his coaching? The words you use to describe Shakir are pretty strong.

Reactions: Columbiahighfan
Carlos is an STA affiliate. Anything not STA is inferior. The fact you, a mere plebe, are engaging such a great mind about such an inferior program as Manatee is an afront to his whole psyche :) :). Welcome back Canes!

Not that I have any interest in this, nor do I follow Tallahassee area football, but as you point out that Lincoln started on a decline, Rickards and Godby started on an upswing.

Godby went 5-13 the last two years. They were worse than Lincoln!

Rickards has definitely improved under Quentin Lewis but they've only had one season with more than 8 wins since 2013.

Lincoln has declined because Shakir stinks. You're digging too deep.

Carlos, I understand the facts and the record he's had. TBH though, the losses are to teams that are pretty good.

So with a top 5% to 10% program in Florida, Shakir couldn't beat other good teams.

And not only could he not beat them, he was getting smashed by a lot of them.

Lost to Niceville, 45-31
Lost to Niceville, 41-34
Lost to Pine Forest, 48-17
Lost to Madison County, 38-21

Lost to Fleming Island, 39-29

Lost to Godby, 40-28
Lost to STA, 41-25

Lost to Niceville, 38-17
Lost to Godby, 33-3
Lost to Rickards, 43-42

Lost to Tate, 34-24
Lost to Camden County. 49-27

Lost to Trinity Christian. 49-18
Lost to Columbia, 57-20
Lost to Camden County, 48-13

Lost to University, 56-20

Look at these beatings that this "defensive" coach got hung with.

This year was Niceville, Columbia, Richards... all did very well this year.

Columbia went 7-4. Nicevile went 8-3 and lost in the first round of the playoffs.

So now those kind of teams are just too good for Lincoln to beat.

Good grief.

The apologizing for this guy is unbelievable.

So that's why I asked you how are you invested in this. Are you a Lincoln fan who is upset with the last 4 years? Are you a parent? Ex player who experienced his coaching? The words you use to describe Shakir are pretty strong.

None of those things. I just know Tallahassee football and have deep connections there.

You ask those things because you're befuddled and can't answer for any of the accurate claims I've made.

You should just stop apologizing for crappy coaching.

Lincoln started playing varsity football in 1976.

From 1976 to 2008, they lost in the first round of the playoffs just twice.

Under Shakir, they lost in the first round in 3 of the last 6 years.

Last three Lincoln coaches.....

Overall
Kyle Rice: 39-12 (.764%)
David Wilson: 118-47 (.718%)
Yusuf Shakir: 66-31 (.680%)

Playoffs
David Wilson: 20-7 (.741%)
Kyle Rice: 9-4 (.692%)
Yusuf Shakir: 13-7 (.650%)

LOL!

Lincoln started playing varsity football in 1976.

From 1976 to 2008, they lost in the first round of the playoffs just twice.

Under Shakir, they lost in the first round in 3 of the last 6 years.

Last three Lincoln coaches.....

Overall
Kyle Rice: 39-12 (.764%)
David Wilson: 118-47 (.718%)
Yusuf Shakir: 66-31 (.680%)

Playoffs
David Wilson: 20-7 (.741%)
Kyle Rice: 9-4 (.692%)
Yusuf Shakir: 13-7 (.650%)

LOL!
Canes0177 if this is you, come out from behind the curtain. I don't get why you've always felt compelled to disparage other programs or individuals? Enjoy the ride at STA and I do have a question.........any idea when STA and IMG will finally meet on the football field?

Go Canes Go!

I don't get why you've always felt compelled to disparage other programs or individuals?

I'm tired of people saying that telling the truth is disparaging.

The guy sucking is confirmed by pretty much every piece of data or empirical evidence you can find.

Pointing that out is not disparaging to him.

Now Gatorman, Why are you still saying Go Canes Go and having the MHS helmet as your profile pic? You clearly are not a supporter. You have bitched on here for years about Manatee football and are always negative. Shoot back in 2009-2012, one of our greatest runs in program history; you bitched about Joe and other things about the program. A true fan supports the program. I don’t mean you can’t have a different opinion from the powers at be, but lets not be a cancer. Support the program, and honestly you don’t support the program. 1) You do not donate to Boosters to help with the cost to run the program. 2) You do not give your time to the program. You have not volunteered coached or held chains at a game. So truly, are you a supporter? Look at what you posted on Bradenton Herald. Negative comments. AGAIN. Why? The Manatee Football FB page is meant to support the student athletes and program, not for you to have another platform to be miserable on. You come on here and think you “know” the program yet don’t even live anywhere near it. You do not come to practice and see what the team is like, so how can you “know” so much. At least some of the posters on here actually live in their area and know some guys on staff and talk with them about their program. Tom, I know your comeback will be how bad of a coach you think I was but here’s the thing, I put my time and energy into it and hopefully effected young men and made them better people. You have no clue what its like coaching because you never have coached. You are an internet tough guy who throws his opinions out there and they really don’t matter because you don’t support the program. I look forward to stepping away from teaching and coaching and SUPPORTING the booster club and the program in different ways. Maybe you should think about doing the same.

Chad, Why I don't provide financial support to the Boosters anymore has a lot to do with Marilyn Phillips and her feeling like it was beneath her to continue to mail the boosters information to me once I moved away. As prior to that I provided funds to the century club annually (not sure its still called that anymore). There's more to the situation than just that, but you've made assumptions about something you obviously have no knowledge of! But the reality is that I've spent more money since I've moved away from Bradenton to support Manatee on the football field, than I ever spent while still living in Bradenton. I've made trips to Pennsylvania, Alabama, Maryland, South Georgia, to say the nothing of the number of times I've made the trip down to Bradenton to watch the Hurricanes over the years. That in its self says something about my commitment to the program........as well as the amount of time I've devoted to the program as a fan, working with my bother and other players during the summer months at Hawkins Stadium or the amount of time I spent at the practice field just being there......watching, listening and learning. I believe I've told the story before on this board, how my then wife once told me she knew where she could always find me if I wasn't at home at a designated time........she called it my happy place.......Hawkins Stadium and the practice field!

In fact when I was still living in Bradenton, you remember Tad Reeve the guy that authored "Manatee Magic"? He was still working for the Bradenton Herald in 86-87, cant remember the exact year. Go check out the pre-season football insert for those years, Tadd did an article with a picture, on me in the football insert and titled it Manatee HS Super Fan or something like that. I've followed Manatee football going back to the 60's........So don't even begin to try to question my passion for the school or its football program........you haven't a clue what you're talking about!

My issues typically revolve around the adults charged with oversight responsibility. Sorry I don't fall in line and never tell the emperor he's naked, the vast number of you continue to look at things with rose colored glasses......that bothers me a great deal. I have an opinion.............and yes if I were to retire and decide to move back to Bradenton, you can count on it I'd be a fly in the ointment!

Are you an alright assistant coach? Sure you are! Were you a good defensive Coordinator and should you have been elevated to that position? Maybe Booth thought he had no other choice, but I said you weren't the right guy when it was announced and I believe the stats and performance on the field the last 2 years speaks volumes. Thanks for your contributions in as far as being a coach however........not going to even attempt to take that away from you........it's a distinction you've earned!

Could I have coached.......fate didn't work out that way for me, but I will tell you I'm highly competitive and it comes through loud and clear with what I do as I'm one of the best at what I do in the country and consistently grade out in the top 5 annually in all the measurable's. I over see a part of the Postal Service that generates 1 billion dollars of revenue annually for the Atlanta District, I'm also responsible for employee performance for an area of Georgia that is basically everything north of Macon, GA. I have no doubt in my mind if I had found a way to get into the coaching profession, I would have been highly successful......no doubt at all!

This new guy will not last at Manatee............you cant see it now.......I give it no more than 3 years and he'll be gone! This boils down to a desperate hire......bottom line and that just a cryin shame!

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
Are you an alright assistant coach? Sure you are! Were you a good defensive Coordinator and should you have been elevated to that position? Maybe Booth thought he had no other choice, but I said you weren't the right guy when it was announced and I believe the stats and performance on the field the last 2 years speaks volumes.

So you're telling me that I got to crush the dreams of an actual Manatee coach in this thread?

Pinch me. I'm dreaming.

Chad,

Funny............you didn't like my comments in the Bradenton Herald and found it completely un-Hurricane like, Yet a former starting defensive tackle on the 1992 state championship team as well as former defensive line coach for Manatee seemed to like it.......You see it isn't just me among the Manatee community that feels the way I do..............

Go Canes Go!

Carlos/GM exchange peaked my interest to look into this more. I recalled the Canes faithful debating coaches being fired or leaving, but didn't realize to what extent until I came across the article below from March 2015 when Booth cleaned house and some of their best players got in trouble. As the writer called that period:

"a dumpster fire turned trainwreck turned overkill horror movie for fans."

A little like this thread, but I'm guessing this is what caused this rift between old school and new at Manatee. Tough business coaching.

http://vype.com/nationalhsfootball/...ol-football-program-spiraling-out-of-control/

Gatorman is there anyway we could get you involved in the Venice booster club? Coach Peacock has Manatee blood. What can do to make this happen.

Reactions: Silver King
but yo daylete my posst..?! das yo pinions. i cand respext dat. day cault me'd fo liberal.on myposst ..? but yo daylete my posst..?! So yo knowd dat ruma still roun/

I guess the fun part about this board is the fact everyone can voice their joys, concerns and insights on high school football. Most of the people on this board have probably never played the game that we all are so passionate about! Others are armchair QB's that like to voice their opinions without totally understanding the facts or circumstances behind the decisions that are being made for their favorite team. There are only a few on this board that I really take their comments to heart and respect! They are the ones that are embraced in their high school's program and continue to support them loyally! And that means supporting the decisions they make even if you might not agree. Remember, this is just high school football!

Carlos hasn't coached a down of high school football. I bet he was the best coach Carlos Jr. ever had in his mind.

Carlos hasn't coached a down of high school football. I bet he was the best coach Carlos Jr. ever had in his mind.

It took you two whole days and this is all you could come up with.

I love it when jock-sniffers like you throw this out (inaccurately) and then pretend like you nailed it. I'm sure you think that your little quip answers for all of the evidence that I provided that Shakir sucks but it doesn't.

It took you two whole days and this is all you could come up with.

I love it when jock-sniffers like you throw this out (inaccurately) and then pretend like you nailed it. I'm sure you think that your little quip answers for all of the evidence that I provided that Shakir sucks but it doesn't.
I haven't said anything about Shakir one way or the other champ. I just read your vitriol today and made an assumption you are a rich, angry, former daddy pee wee coach who has an ax to grind against a coach.

It's not that your "evidence" is inaccurate, it's the fact that you go to extraordinary lengths to to discredit people who devote countless hours of their time to teenage athletes for almost no pay. It's one thing to bring facts to the table, but you go to a whole other level that makes it look like said person/coach banged your old lady. It's definitely evident that you've never coached because generally fellow coaches wouldn't talk about each other in such a manner.

Anybody can hide behind their computer screen and dis somebody's body of work when nobody knows who they are. You can look up a coach's record and have your way with the information. Your safety lies in the fact that nobody knows who the hell you are (cause you're a nobody)...thus nobody can dis YOUR body of work. Well, except me, I know exactly who you are.

Reactions: fsufan727
I haven't said anything about Shakir one way or the other champ. I just read your vitriol today and made an assumption you are a rich, angry, former daddy pee wee coach who has an ax to grind against a coach.

Bro, he's a statistician for STA. He's never played or coached a down of football in his life. He has "contacts" in Tally cause he went to FSU.

Reactions: Silver King

So you read my facts and just made an assumption that it was vitriolic. But nowhere did you refute what I said or point out what exactly was vitriolic about it.

In fact not one person who has complained about my posts has even attempted to argue based on facts. Instead they've chosen to attack the messenger.

Par for the course.

It's not that your "evidence" is inaccurate, it's the fact that you go to extraordinary lengths to to discredit people who devote countless hours of their time to teenage athletes for almost no pay.

So everything I said is true. I already knew that but thanks.

I love people like you who can't refute what others post but decide to attack someone anyway because those facts are "mean" or "disparaging" to the target.

And please. Yusuf Shakir couldn't get another job. Spare me the nonsense about him devoting his life to those kids. What the hell else is he going to do for a career?

The coaching profession is honorable. Unfortunately, too many jobs are filled by clowns like Shakir.

It's definitely evident that you've never coached because generally fellow coaches wouldn't talk about each other in such a manner.

So because they're all pals and wouldn't say something negative about their friends that makes it good?

I prefer the truth. Even if it hurts.

That kind of logic is what justifies the existence of bad cops. Since no cops will ever say anything bad about another cop, right?

Lame argument.

Anybody can hide behind their computer screen and dis somebody's body of work when nobody knows who they are. You can look up a coach's record and have your way with the information. .

Who's hiding?

I've laid out the facts and you've completely dodged them to defend a bad coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT