ADVERTISEMENT

Manatee since Kinnan left ...

They should have left it the way it used to be, no school choice and you played for the school in your district like the old days. It was actually more competitive and better overall.

That's always going to be the case.
Maybe in the "Moron's HS Football Handbook", but in a system that is governed a bit more equitably, only an idiot of a Commissioner would allow the participants to form the teams ... unless the goal is to put most spectators to sleep.

Bottom-line: The best part of all is watching mindless "booster-type" dumba$$es walking around HS stadiums all across the US asking, "What's happened to the popularity of the game??? What don't people pay to park, buy popcorn and watch us hammer our traditional rivals 90-0 with players who normally would have gone to their school? We have great popcorn.

I have never had an issue with school choice as long as it was for academic reasons or for other legitimate reasons, such as school A was a bad fit but school B is better, or parent commutes and this school works out better. Something like that. But what we've witnessed in the last few years to interscholastic athletics has become a joke.

Reactions: Neutral 0bserver
Nu'Trelle ain't too old to remember playin ball on the sandlots as a kid. First thing you did after enough people showed up was pick two captains and choose up sides. Then, the game was on. Maybe when you had to leave for supper, the game was 45-44 your team. When you came back, the other team was short a player, so you played for them and the score was now 79-77 their favor. The games were always close unless too many of the best players wound up on the same team.

STOP EVERYTHING. MAKE IT "TODAY" & PUT ADULTS IN CHARGE OF KEEPING THINGS "FAIR"

When enough players show up, an Alpha Adult walks up to the sandlot and says, "Okay, how about we put together two teams and play?"

Kids in unison, "Yeaaaaaaaaaaaa, we get to play!"

Alpha Adult taps the 20 most athletic-loooking kids on the shoulder and says "You're on my team."

Bookish-looking kid who will eventually become a lawyer says, "You just put all the best players on one team."

Alpha Adult cautions, "Stop whining. You've got us outnumbered. I gave your team 5 extra players."

Bookish kid, "So what? None of them can even do one push-up?"

After 15 minutes, Alpha Adult's team is up 60-zip.

Bookish-kid approaches Alpha Adult and asks, "What's the point of this?"

"The point is 'building character and teaching kids how to win'", replies Alpha Adult.

"We're down 60-0 because you snatched-up all the best players", comments the kid.

"No," says the Alpha Adult, "You're down 60-0 because you're a bunch of losers trying to play against a group of winners who decided play for a legendary coach, me."

"Nobody decided anything, you a-hole. You picked the teams."

Kid turns to his buddies and says, "Let's get outta here. Some kids have a ball on the soccer field. Maybe if we go over, we can choose up sides and play."

Player on Alpha Adult's team remarks, "Coach, we killed those guys okay, but they just quit. Who do we play next?"

Alpha Adult replies, "Very few local teams will probably agree to play us. Therefore, we must board airplanes and fly to exotic locations."

Winners in unison, "Yeeeeeeeaaaa! We love to fly on airplanes! Will we be on ESPN too?"

"Of course we will," says Alpha Adult, "'Do you think I'd coach a bunch of losers who weren't even good enough to be on TV?"

"Can we go to New Jersey?" asks a kid excitedly.

"We're good, gentlemen. In fact, we're damn good," advised Alpha Adult, "but I'm not sure we're THAT good."

"Well, in that case, we quit," says another kid.

Alpha Adult, "Why?"

"Because if you don't think we can beat the hell outta some fools from NJ, we don't need a loser like you for a coach."

Alpha male laughs and says, "So you think you're good enough to someday play for a New Jersey Prep School? How you gonna pay to get up there? How you gonna pay for tuition?"

Kids in unison, "Scholarship money provided by a-holes even bigger than you!"

Neither Raymond Thomas or Octavious James would have started for Manatee this year if Johnnie Lang was still with the team. Like Gatorman said, they both transfered for playing time. Can't blame them. They both would have spot played or would have been moved to another position.
FLABOY941, I disagree! Manatee would match up with Braden River up front. Manatee's team speed and skill players would be the difference! Braden River isn't equal to Manatee in that area yet! There is a reason they didn't want play Manatee! So we will never know! Braden River will not beat Dwyer or STA in 7A!

... Neither Raymond Thomas or Octavious James would have started for Manatee this year if Johnnie Lang was still with the team...
What was it that happened to Johnnie Lang?

Note of interest: If Raymond Thomas and Octavious James switched first names, one of them would be Raymond James!

Neither Raymond Thomas or Octavious James would have started for Manatee this year if Johnnie Lang was still with the team. Like Gatorman said, they both transfered for playing time. Can't blame them. They both would have spot played or would have been moved to another position.
FLABOY941, I disagree! Manatee would match up with Braden River up front. Manatee's team speed and skill players would be the difference! Braden River isn't equal to Manatee in that area yet! There is a reason they didn't want play Manatee! So we will never know! Braden River will not beat Dwyer or STA in 7A!
Not so fast my friend.................do you honestly think Manatee matched up to STA at the skilled position in the semi-finals the year they knock them off in the semis? About the only thing Manatee matched up against STA that game was Manatee's defensive front against STA's Offensive front. A pick-6 and two Ace Sanders big plays were the difference that game. I remember texting Wavebb during the game with score updates...(because he thought Manatee didn't stand a chance, so he passed on coming to the game), he was in complete shock every time I provided an update.

Try just for a second to not look t things with your Manatee glasses on. Manatee lacks a physicallity on it offensive and defensive lines, an area I think Braden River is incredibly strong at. I think Braden River missed a golden opportunity this year by not playing Manatee. It would have been a whale of a game. Manatee's over-all skill player personnel against Braden River's physicality with a special back like Thomas.............I can see Braden River giving Manatee all it could handle and then some!

Go Canes Go!

... I remember texting Wavebb during the game with scores ... he was in complete shock every time I provided an update ...
Advice for gatorman001: When tryin to communicate wiff Wave, always call, never text. Wave's hearin fine, but he aint worff a damn at readin.

I dont care who reads this..Coach Kinan is sneaky and not an honorable man... All I got to say about that...I was brought up to be honorable and respectable..In my face as a head coach he wasnt...And all my life, my father who is in the FACA coach hall of fame....Said the same thing..

I can't understand how a legendary coach wouldn't shake the Tarpon Coaches hand after one of the most exciting football games most who were there, ever saw (The CH 7 guy who covered it called it the best game at any level he'd ever seen). There wasn't any issues during the game, well called, few penalties, just two good teams exchanging scores, its just that they got upset. Karma, that's the last game he gets to remember playing Charlotte who hadn't beat Manatee since 1949 until that game. That made it hard for me to have any sympathy for the guy when it hit the fan whether it was a witch hunt or not.

It may be unfair and somewhat unrealistic to think that Booth will duplicate Kinnan's success. It may be okay to set the bar high but he will not do what Kinnan did. As far as IMG goes, they are useless. They can't compete for a state championship so to me, that defeats the purpose of high school sports. Their resources and facilities are second to none but it's a manufactured team with no brotherhood. They are not hurting Manatee at all.
That I like ... Manatee under Kinnan was my Fla HS team.. They came to play, lost two OOS games in 2011 then roared back and won the states.. Always under Joe there were a threat and only once that I recall got blown out by STA..

Kinnan is an ass.
He's certainly not the only local coach who has enjoyed a certain level of professional success while maintaining a questionable modicum of integrity.
I will add that though I did not have a son who played for Kinnan, he actually was the one who ended up being responsible for one of them getting a D1 scholarship. He told a college coach who had come to him looking for a player for a specific position that my son was the one in the area he did not want to play against. The coach immediately went to meet my son and ended up offering him.

Reactions: Silver King
From my experience with Coach Kinnan, he is a great guy. He gets the most out of his players and ran a structured football program. He's a legend when it comes to coaching. We need more coaches like him. Too many coaches don't understand the difference between have a good team and having a good program.

From my experience with Coach Kinnan, he is a great guy. He gets the most out of his players and ran a structured football program. He's a legend when it comes to coaching. We need more coaches like him. Too many coaches don't understand the difference between have a good team and having a good program.
As my other post referenced, great x and o's coach, but one Kinnan in a lifetime is enough. There are a lot of coaches like him past and present and they do understand the difference. Great teams and championships, but a lot of shenanigans got the ball rolling and kept it going. Probably no different then other programs in the state that are consistent playoff teams over multiple years.

"STRUCTURE AND GOOD PROGRAM". yep,plus added discipline and Joe rocked..

FLABOY941, Braden RIver doesn't want to play Manatee on any level. That includes FR and JV. Booth tried to schedule a game with them back in early spring but they said their schedule was full. Later in the summer Bradley was looking for several games to fill his schedule. They have a good football team but they are very over rated! Their schedule over the past two years has been a joke. He will not play the Canes and after this year they are going to be hurting! Booth could easily go out and schedule the Bayshore's and North Port's of the world and go undefeated. It's just a different approach to getting your team better! Don't see them playing anytime soon.
Joe Dropped Braden River when they were horrible as they were not giving a good look for anything. Braden River was not happy about that and I'm sure that is a big reason why they won't put Manatee back on the schedule. It was the right move by Manatee then and it is fine that Braden River doesn't want them back on the schedule because of it.

Reactions: Drummer61
nN
Joe Dropped Braden River when they were horrible as they were not giving a good look for anything. Braden River was not happy about that and I'm sure that is a big reason why they won't put Manatee back on the schedule. It was the right move by Manatee then and it is fine that Braden River doesn't want them back on the schedule because of it.
Never knew that, thanks.. Where is Joe?? I heard he had cancer??? He has a position with USF

Last edited:

10/16/2009

Braden River (Bradenton, FL) 14-7 Manatee Win

10/15/2010

@ Braden River (Bradenton, FL) 24-7 Manatee Win

10/7/2011

Braden River (Bradenton, FL) 63-0 Manatee Win

10/5/2012

@ Braden River (Bradenton, FL) 56-0 Manatee Win

Go Canes Go!

Let's be honest and fair to Coach Booth. Not many people can take a program to what CJK did and we all hope CJB will continue this tradition of winning and keep Manatee in the spotlight for years to come.

Personally, I'm not sold on this team at all. They won a weak district that is 13/21 and have two losses against other GREAT schools.

What team has Manatee beat that is actually a contender to win or go deep in the playoffs?

As for the Braden River comments and questions. We all know that BR and many other teams have chosen not to play Manatee for a reason. Would be good for the area and the kids but only time will tell if the coaches can get this done.

Manatee and Braden River can easily play each other next year. Manatee county has a county wide AD(first year the county has ever had one) who can make the teams play each other, it also saves money on buses and the game can make alot of money off of the gate. Plus the county wide AD is the former MHS AD who tried to schedule Braden River last year and now he is in the position where he can make them play each other. That happens in every county that has a county wide AD(Hillsborough, Polk).

Manatee is still very, very, very good. We overlook powerhouses, but this team is in the top 5-7% of all schools in FL. They still absolutely hammer teams. While they may be "down", This team could make the final four. It will be tough but I could see it....

Round 1: Oak Ridge - lots of talent, M should win
Round 2: Dr. Phillips - M won 24-21 last year in rd.3
Round 3: Vero/Osceola - another big test
Final4: West Orange/ Apopka/ Lake Brantley

That's the way I see it.

Looks like we have a nice addition to the board. Good thread. Dallas' board is just getting ugly. I'm avoiding it. On here we solve things and "carry on"... You can see the results with the explosion in # of posters

Reactions: Drummer61
Manatee and Braden River our both good teams. Playing each other would bring out everyone far and near. It would be a packed game. But on the other hand, I think Braden River is content not playing Manatee because a loss may sway some players to go to Manatee over them. Just my opinion.

Manatee is still very, very, very good. We overlook powerhouses, but this team is in the top 5-7% of all schools in FL. They still absolutely hammer teams. While they may be "down", This team could make the final four. It will be tough but I could see it....

Round 1: Oak Ridge - lots of talent, M should win
Round 2: Dr. Phillips - M won 24-21 last year in rd.3
Round 3: Vero/Osceola - another big test
Final4: West Orange/ Apopka/ Lake Brantley

That's the way I see it.

Looks like we have a nice addition to the board. Good thread. Dallas' board is just getting ugly. I'm avoiding it. On here we solve things and "carry on"... You can see the results with the explosion in # of posters
DJ'S, ranking system and his arrogance will keep hurting him...

Reactions: fla331boy
That I like ... Manatee under Kinnan was my Fla HS team.. They came to play, lost two OOS games in 2011 then roared back and won the states.. Always under Joe there were a threat and only once that I recall got blown out by STA..
Shocker.

You go on and on about following rules on another post then gush about a guy whose career ended badly because of them; you're a little hard to follow. You may want to read some Herald-Tribune articles from the last couple of years if you're going to be an expert on Fl football.

Reactions: Neutral 0bserver
You go on and on about following rules on another post then gush about a guy whose career ended badly because of them; you're a little hard to follow. You may want to read some Herald-Tribune articles from the last couple of years if you're going to be an expert on Fl football.
If you don't like my posts don't read them and shut up !!!!!.. Two different story lines and all I stated was that Manatee, under Kinnan, was my Fla team.. TS if you don't like it...Go junp in the Gulf chump and pack it up.

You go on and on about following rules on another post then gush about a guy whose career ended badly because of them; you're a little hard to follow.
bullseye-arrow.jpg

To set it all straight .. A player can play one game every seven days.. Why you sometimes see varsity sophomores come down and play on the open week.. But my dad has told me stories of him playing a middle school game, a jv game and a varsity game back in the day.. Said he played. A middle school game against Quincy, a jv game against Madison and a varsity game against Thomasville.. And he played for the Gators too..

Oh and by the way, We do not like Coach Kinan.. Lol.. I have been apart of a few championships.. I first started coaching, Manatee had us 44-0.. We emptied the benches.. Heck we scored.. Coach Kinan put his starters back in against my back ups..

Oh and by the way, We do not like Coach Kinan.. Lol.. I have been apart of a few championships.. I first started coaching, Manatee had us 44-0.. We emptied the benches.. Heck we scored.. Coach Kinan put his starters back in against my back ups..
Cut throat Joe... ps Bosco coach thought Joe was "pompous".... I like Manatee..

So I stated at the beginning of the year that Booth's staying power would be measured not by the number of wins he amassed with the players Joe left him, but by his ability to keep the program strong top to bottom. The freshman team last year went winless and lost ugly most of the time. This year's freshman team won 1 game and ended the season losing ugly to Sarasota Riverview. JV team ended the season losing its last 2 games of the season. Not convinced that Booth has the ability at this point to sustain Manatee as a viable state power, based on what I'm seeing with the football program top to bottom.

Go Canes Go!

If you don't like my posts don't read them and shut up !!!!!.. Two different story lines and all I stated was that Manatee, under Kinnan, was my Fla team.. TS if you don't like it...Go junp in the Gulf chump and pack it up.

Seriously? What are you 12? And here I thought you were just a little slow...I don't like most of your posts, nor do most of the posters on here, but you spew your nonsense everywhere. If Jersey is such a great football state, why don't you bother those guys.

Key in Van Halen: "You might as well JUNP"

Seriously? What are you 12? And here I thought you were just a little slow...I don't like most of your posts, nor do most of the posters on here, but you spew your nonsense everywhere. If Jersey is such a great football state, why don't you bother those guys.

Key in Van Halen: "You might as well JUNP"
Where in my post did I mention Jersey ?????? Can you read or are you so predisposed to busting Jersey that it corrupts your ability to respond and to think a reply through ?? Do not reply to my posts again.. If you must, just answer the post.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT