ADVERTISEMENT

Manatee 38 Palmetto 33 FINAL

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
Palmetto led the is one from the start till about midway through the 3rd QT. Palmetto's inability to adjust to Manatee's second half decision to bring everything but the kitchen sink in as far as generating a pass rush, was probably the difference in this game. In as far as things I felt worth mentioning.......Manatee is still trying to figure out something with its offensive line, as it opened up the game with Ean Johnson-Kelley at OT (Ean is probably Manatee's biggest disruptor on the DL as he led Manatee going into this game with sacks, tackles for a loss and total tackles on defense) Manatee tinkered with several other different combinations on the OL through out the game. Ean still played a considerable number of snaps on the DL, particularly when it become apparent the Manatee defense had no answer for a Palmetto offense that generated 26 1st half points.

Pinder finally got an opportunity to carry the ball beyond typical 3-6 carries a game or mop up duty at the end of the game, via a depleted Manatee RB stable and he responded for over 160 yards and 3 TD's. To become Manatee's leading ball carrier by the end of the game for the season as well as leader of rushing TD's. This is a kid that rushed for over a 1000 yards his soph and Junior seasons, but the staff felt his importance from a team standpoint was best utilized on defense rather than offense, well until last night. For me it comes down to the current offensive philosophy of the staff as well as its ability its adapt offense based on the talent it possesses......(I keep going back in my mind to how Kinnan utilized Leon Allen during the 2011 season, who is very similar to Pinder in size and style).

Manatee probably holds onto the second seed when the rankings are released this coming week and finally assured Jaquez Green a cumulative winning record after 3 years, something only 7 wins this season would do for him and also kept him from joining Jack Mackie as 1 of only 2 coaches in the last 80+ years, to be coaches at Manatee to have 3 year losing records.

Last edited:
Well, Green has improved every year so far. When he took over the program it was in disarray! He had no coaching staff and an administration that showed no support for the program or himself! Now with a supportive administration and the ability to have teaching positions to hire coaches things are improving every year. With a most likely 8-2 record and a district championship under his belt things are looking up!
I still believe they will be even better next year! The offensive line has been Manatee’s achilles’ heel this year with five new starters. But help is on the way in the future! There are some very big, young hollywogs that are coming up next year. Might be one of Manatee’s biggest teams next year! If season ended today Manatee host Charlotte in two weeks and then plays the Palmetto, Riverview winner at home. Things could change but playoffs are near.

I'm still focused on this year, as this isn't a bad team. In fact its a team I fear that may not reach its potential when ever the season finally ends. Its best games this season from a over-all team standpoint, were its kickoff classic game and it opener against Lake Minneola and that would make the 3rd consecutive year under Green that as the season progressed we saw a Manatee team that was actually playing worse than what we saw at the beginning of the year.

The issue at OT was a obvious issue from the beginning of the year, yet the staff ignored it until after the Riverview game? I saw the JV team play 6 of its 8 games, and unfortunately while the JV line was big as you mentioned, I wasn't overly impressed by its over-all play. The RB # 2 (I believe he is Keishawn's brother), did more with his speed in as far as getting to the edge and with his superior talent than what I could honestly attribute to anything the JV line was doing. I believe # 75 at defensive tackle will be able to fill of the shoes left empty by Tyreek's graduation. At different times through out the JV season #75 would dominate as well as disrupt, both positive signs for next season when he moves up to varsity next year. There were a couple of other skilled JV players that possessed size as well as above average talent i liked too! Manatee will be blessed next year with above average skilled talent and size, and elite speed... so yes there is reason to be excited!

The JV team was horribly coached very poorly coached and the varsity coaching staff knows that there’s some changes need to be made down in that lower level. They were fundamentally unsound at times but the talents there and the physicality is there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT