ADVERTISEMENT

Slightly OT - Athletes skipping 2016 Olympics due to ZIKA threat

Neutral 0bserver

Sep 6, 2002
This ZIKA thing becoming more & more of a problem every day. Now they sayin if you is been bit by a mosquito within the pass 6 months, you should notify any wimmens with which you has shared intimatecy during that time.

Got any idea how long it take to contack 126 wimmens? Many of whom is not fluent in English? What if they hasn't got no cell phone? Is you sposed to go back to WalMart and hang-out in the produce section where you met them?

OMG, only you could turn a serious subject into this! If I were in watersports, I definitely wouldn't go. Have you seen the beaches down there? They were filthy, full of all kinds of trash.

Other issues will come up in future Olympics causing athletes to make this same decision. The world is not a safe as it used to be and sporting events like this are no longer exempt from crazy terrorists. It's a real shame!

... I definitely wouldn't go. Have you seen the beaches down there? They were filthy, full of all kinds of trash.
If a man could get to Rio for $1.25, Nu'Trelle never make it beyond Marco Island, nomsayin? He jus tryin be a good American and follow CDC guidelines.

Mosquitoes are the least of the worries.

The security is horrendous. First responders aren't getting paid. Terrorists' fiesta.

Don't go! Anyone! The IOC is corrupt; Brazil is bankrupt, financially and socially; AND the concept of amateurism is looooong dead.

Reactions: anon_00zx5879k0jmw
FWIW, had some friends just return from Rio last week ( $450 round trip from Tampa ). They, all six of them, had a fabulous time ! No issues, no problems.... The " dollar " was king down there. It went a long way. Lay over in Panama on the way back. Checked out the sites ( Canal included ), took a tour and had lunch on the mountainside looking down on the city. Next up for these young adventurers, CUBA..... And this is supposed to be a " Manly site. " :)

Reactions: Silver King
Have you guys forgotten the 1972 Olympics Munich massacre?
Not really, still trying to deal with last week's bloody carnage in Orlando. We only came this way once. Being fearful of extremely rare occurrences is no way to enjoy life. Sky diving anyone ?

You always have to balance the risk to the reward. No, I will never go sky diving. I would love to go to the Olympics someday. The problem is that no one knows the long term effects of the Zika virus. I've heard lately that it can lead to auto-immune diseases in anyone. For a young person, that would mean a long life of pain just to, hopefully, win a medal. Most are treated with steroids. Have you ever taken predinose? It's not fun. Golf is a pretty risk-free sport. Should a golfer who has already made millions take the risk?

For some people, raising a family, buying a house, living a full life is more than enough. For those that want more, go for it. I'll be in front of the tv watching and cheering for you!

FWIW, had some friends just return from Rio last week ( $450 round trip from Tampa ). They, all six of them, had a fabulous time ! No issues, no problems.... The " dollar " was king down there. It went a long way. Lay over in Panama on the way back. Checked out the sites ( Canal included ), took a tour and had lunch on the mountainside looking down on the city. Next up for these young adventurers, CUBA..... And this is supposed to be a " Manly site. " :)

My favorite aunt and her husband were in their late 30s and got on one of the last commercial flights out of Havana as Fidel and Che's guys were taking it in 1958. She said it was the best vacation of her life - the city was wild the entire time they were there.

With the way our collaborator leader is not doing much of nothing except executive ordering everything outside and beyond the law I would stay home if I were you.

Body parts washed up today on the beach where the beach volleyball competition will be held. Need I say more?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT