ADVERTISEMENT

Irma: Damn good thang Nu'Trelle in the prime of his life

Neutral 0bserver

Sep 6, 2002
Well, after living full-time in SW Florida for nearly 43 years and suffering through any number of close calls, it finally happened.

Hurricane Irma arrived on Sunday morning, September 10th, exactly 57 years after Hurricane Donna came onshore just south of Naples as a Category 4 (wind rotation of 130-156 mph).Irma hit Marco Island as a 4 and headed straight to downtown Naples, where it slowed to a Category 3 (111-129 mph).

The average adult starts finding it tough to navigate when 45-50 mph winds blow. At 70-75 mph, basically the threshold of a Category 1 hurricane, it takes a very athletic person to stay on his/her feet. Guys like SK and Wavebb don't gotta prayer. Nomsayin?

On Friday, forecasts charts basically called for Irma to pass directly over Naples, Bonita, and Ft. Myers. The storm was then approaching Cuba as a Cat 5 (winds in excess of 157 mph).

Having weathered two previous hurricanes where gusts in Bonita Springs reached 90-100 mph (essentially Category 1 winds), Nu'Trelle knew there was no way he was gonna hang around for during a Category 4 or 5 storm. Where do you need to be during a storm like that? Answer: Some place else.

So he headed North late Friday night. Knowing that I-75 would be jammed, he opted to thread his way through the center of the state. After briefly napping in his car, he found a motel in Kingsland, GA and stayed through Sunday morning.

Realizing that he needed to have a reservation before departing. There was nothing in Brunswick, GA. Same with Savannah. No luck in Columbia, S.C.Finally He booked a room near Charlotte, N.C.

Once there, he spent Sunday, Monday and Tuesday in NC, then headed home to access the damage on Wednesday.

I-77 went okay, but I-26 just south of Columbia, S.C. became a parking lot. So once again, Nu'Trelle got off the interstates and hit the state roads. Once back in FL, you needed to use plenty of caution as many traffic lights were out along state highway. .

In Lee County, the streets were like a ghost town. Felled trees were scattered dangerously along roadsides. Signage and other forms of twisted aluminum and metal debris were piled indiscriminately in far too many places. Obviously, in only 3-4 days crews had not been able to put much of a dent in clearing away the massive amount of destruction.

All five of the steel reinforced concrete buildings in Nu'Trelle's complex survived. They were built during in an era when the codes in SW FL called for all buildings up to 3 stories high to be capable of withstanding sustained 115 mph winds. Whether or not they would have been left standing if they had been hit by a Category 5 storm is very debatable.

So it was dark that Thursday, September 14th. Make that dark and eerie. Nighttime temps were in the low 80's which, with humidity figured in, felt like 95-100.

Some commercial buildings had power. Most did not. Most residential buildings were dark. Most street lights were out. 50% or more of the traffic signals were out. I didn't see any police. Good thing I didn't. A 7 pm-7 am curfew was in place to keep residents safe and looters at home. Didn't see peezy28 either.

Nu'Trelle's condo building had no power. Only 1 of the 5 in the complex had any power at all and it was 120 volts. He made his way up three flights of stairs and found no broken windows and only one small leak in the ceiling of his master bedroom. The $137.56 that he kept hidden between his mattress and innerspring since graduating from Ohio State (he never trusted no FDIC-insured institutions wiff his savings) was still there.

So was the Roy Rogers model Colt 45 pot-metal cap pistol that was a gift for his seventh birthday just in case Daytona Dan (or someone just as bad, if there is such a person) ever kicked down the door and broke into his house. To tell you the troof, Nu'Trelle not certain if the caps still work or not. Guess he probably oughta see about reloading the gun with some fresh caps once the cap gun stores re-opens.

No power. Therefore, no A/C. Daytime highs were in the mid-90's. Every day, all day long. That translates to 108-112 degrees for non-crackers. All five elevators were down. Truthfully, the only one Nu'Trelle really cared about was in Building B. He live in Building B.

Try walking up and down three flights of stairs several times a day for 8 days. You eventually learn not to forget things that you meant to bring with you. You also learn to skip carrying any item that weighs more than 10 pounds. After the third or fourth day, you learn not to bother with anything that weigh close to 3 pounds.

After 8 days, your 72 year old body have been sapped so thoroughly by the heat and humidity that you seriously considers if clothing itself is too heavy to wear. The only thing that stops you from acting on instinct is fear that wimmens age 18 or less may spot your 72 year old body in broad daylight. So you break the curfew and go up and down the stairs only at night using your flashlight to blind any other residents wiff whom you might encounter.

On Thursday afternoon, September 21st, after power had been restored to over 97% of all Lee County customers, Florida Power and Light finally decided that enough was enough and sent two trucks to our rescue. The threat of Nu'Trelle roaming the steps and walkways at night au natural must have been the straw that broke the camel's back. Thus, FPL dispatched The Three Amigos from Enterprise Electrical out of Miami. The heaviest of the three spoke some English. Not much. Just a little.

The three of them were in the shade relaxing on chairs when Nu'Trelle approached. He asked them if they had things diagnosed. The heaviest guy pointed to a utility pole 50 feet away and said there were two blown fuses. The pole fed power underground to our property. All wiring on our property runs underground. That's why it was so perplexing to have no power out for 12 days!

When Nu'Trelle asked how long it would take to restore things, the guy pointed to his cell phone and said in broken English, "We're waiting for permission to replace the fuses. After we get it, it'll take maybe 20-30 minutes to have everything running."

It would have taken them the same amount of time had they come out the day after the storm. But then life wouldn't have been nearly as interesting. What happens to a 72 year old man in top physical condition who owns four pairs of underwear? Even if all 4 pair are clean when you gets back from Charlotte, by Sunday the excitement begins ... and that's assuming you don't have no accidents.

By Monday, you has no choice but to (1) make a diaper out of a towel with some safety pins or (2) inspect and select the cleanest of the used ones. Not being able to locate any safety pins, Nu'Trelle chose the latter. He refuse to admit what happened on Wednesday, but safe to assume it was not pretty.

Early Thursday morning, he finally had enough. He could no longer take what was happening. So in the darkness of night, he took detergent, underwear, his quarters and his heavy-duty flashlight and headed down the steps to the laundry room.

Best thing about it, 4 pairs of threadbare underwear constitutes a "light load". So he only had to use 5 quarters instead of the customary 6. Thank God for small favors. Nu'Trelle pushed the gizmo in on the machine that dumped the quarters and took a seat.

He thought briefly and about the fact that he could have brought down all 4 pairs of white socks and maybe a couple shirts too, but he wasn't about to go back upstairs. Even though he was naked. Truthfully, the coolness of the seat of the aluminum chair he was sitting on felt rather refreshing at 2 am.

As he sat there with arms folded across his chest, it also dawned on him that he could have brought down a book to read. The washing and drying would take around an hour. That's about 15 minutes per brief, he said to hisself, remembering how teachers had always told his Mom how gifted he was at math. Next he started to think about how much it would cost per brief, but realized he would probably need a pencil and a couple pieces of paper for that.

Instead, he concentrated on the fact that was sitting on that cool aluminum chair at 2 am, not fighting for use of the machines or putting up with any other crap from neighbors and realized that was no accident. Neither was the fact that he never had any problem finding gasoline during the fuel shortage.

After deciding unanimously that he was a whole helluva lot smarter than the average guy on FL Varsity, Nu'Trelle looked at the washer to see how much time was left before he'd need to transfer his four pairs of drawers to the dryer. But to no avail. Irma must have knocked out the digital clock mechanism. He'd just have to wait. It would be a surprise.

But then, after re-folding his arms, it dawned on him that the machine had not filled with water. So he got up, opened the lid and shined his flashlight toward the bottom. Just 4 pairs of underwear marbled with blue detergent. There was no water. Thankfully, he did have another five quarters ... but that was about it.

So he reloaded them into the machine, pushed the lever in, sat back down on the chair (which had gotten quite a bit warmer for some reason) and refolded his arms. But guess what? There was STILL no water! And this time he was certain of it.

Then amazingly, like a bolt out of the blue, a voice that sounded eerily similar to blackpopsicle's announced, "YOU HAVE NO WATER, DUMBASS, BECAUSE YOU HAVE NO &%$#@ ELECTRIC."

Instinctively, Nu'Trelle turned his head quickly and shot back, "OH YEAH? WELL ... THE JERK STORE JUST CALLED AND THEY'RE RUNNIN OUT OF YOU!"

Last edited:
Glad to hears you OK buddy.

SK drove supplies down to some poor people in Plantation Island that the two-week on the job new Mayor of Everglades City apparently forgot about. We got there Thursday, four days after the storm, saw National Guard Humvees in dowtown Everglades City with Guardsman on cots and lots of supplies, but no one had driven out to the outlying areas to see if anybody else needed help. The mayor said in the paper, it could be his fault because Emergency Management kept asking what he needed. People couldn't get to the supplies.

If not for a friend going down to pick up his mother, we wouldn't have known either. We made a total of four trips with supplies, gas, 2 generators, dry ice, diapers, food, and SK found three special commercial fishermen to leave three handle bottles of booze with - that was speaking their language let me tell you.

Plantation Island is a little fishing community about 150 people, that got rolled over by a 5-foot storm surge in the early morning hours. The first guy we got to, Lee Marteeny (https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...lic-health-crisis-looms-after-irma/675822001/) , we loaded up with supplies. He unfortunatley died less than 48 hours later from some bacterial infection he got wading in the water.

Irma was a bad Storm Surge event, but when it came ashore south of Marco it was nowhere close to a Cat 4 - it sure was when it hit the middle Keys and you can look at the damage and tell the difference. Irma lost the eye wall and south side after battering across the keys and was down to a high 1 or low 2 when it actually went ashore. SK here to tell you, he drove through Marco Island, not a single roof off, not a power poll down, trailer park with 90% of the trailers still standing. If that were a Cat 4, SK was in a Cat 6 (off the dials) in Charley.

People still need help all around, particularly smaller communities like Immokalee.

Last edited:
The first guy we got to, Lee Marteeny ... we loaded up with supplies. He unfortunatley died less than 48 hours later from some bacterial infection he got wading in the water.
Saw his pic taken a day before his death and an article in The Naples Daily News.

Irma was a bad Storm Surge event, but when it came ashore south of Marco it was nowhere close to a Cat 4 ... SK here to tell you, he drove through Marco Island, not a single roof off, not a power pole down, trailer park with 90% of the trailers still standing. If that were a Cat 4, SK was in a Cat 6 (off the dials) in Charley ...
Nu'Trelle ain't been south of central Naples yet. He hafta refer to you, SK.

Next time you guys find the need to evacuate, turn left at I-10. We have plenty of hotels in the panhandle and there were evacuation centers set up as far west as Pensacola. It's always best to be left of the eye wall.

Sorry you guys got hit so hard! Been there many times and understand the pain. Nothing worse than hot, whiny kids. I'm looking at buying a generator right now but years ago saw a combination solar/wind power system. You'd have power during the storm and after the sun came out. The question is will it fit into my retiree budget!

Glad you made it through... Yeah you didn't see me because I was at home with no power with a 1 month a 2 year old and an over heated not so pleasant wife. Also I my solid brick house built in 78 was lucky enough to have weathered the storm well unfortunately for some of my neighbors their trees were not as solid as their houses and we ended up with a lot of trees on houses or blocking roads. One guy who lives around the corner from me a fire fighter was out working during the storm and a downed transformer ignited his house and burned it down. Luckily for him his family was sent away and he was out working. See the link below for that story. So I was busy with my family and also with my chainsaw trying to clear trees off of neighbors houses and roads. I am glad I live in the neighborhood that I do. The ones with generators allowed us space in their refrigerators so that we didn't lose everything.

We didn't get power back until Thursday but my mother in law got hers back the next day some how so the wife and kids got to go chill in the A.C. while me and the dog manned the fort in the Florida heat.

http://wfla.com/2017/09/11/clearwat...e-to-flames-while-on-duty-for-hurricane-irma/

some pictures here

still0911_00008_1505173678590_4139458_ver1-0_640_360.jpg

Reactions: anon_00zx5879k0jmw
Yeah you didn't see me because I was at home with no power with a 1 month a 2 year old and an over heated not so pleasant wife.
To peezy: Sound like you've got a lot more on your plate than Nu'Trelle ... lots more. Glad to hear you and your family came out of things relatively well. It's heartening to hear how guys like you and SK went the extra mile to help your fellow man. It takes a special person to offer a helping hand in time of need.

I am one lucky person. Bought my current home in 2007 so it’s up to date with all the new Hurricane standards… That was a scary storm but we didn’t lose one shingle from our roof. Only one part of my privacy fence was damaged but it’s nothing that 9 longer screws can’t fix. I can for others though they were not so lucky. A friend had a tree fall onto her roof of one of her kids bedroom

Your houses might be "hurricane proof" but they are not "fire proof" or "storm surge proof" or "tree proof". I had a coworker who lost a niece in Hurricane Ivan because a tree fell on her bedroom.

I also cannot stand the constant wind gusts. I was 150 miles east of the eye of Katrina and the wind was bending over trees in my yard. Every time the wind surged, you wondered if the roof would blow off. I don't need that stress!

I will always evacuate, always! I know it's harder for you guys which is one reason why I moved back up here. I can go in 3 directions to evade the storm. You guys only have 1 choice and it's very, very crowded!

I will always evacuate, always!
Irma was a storm that was nothing to mess with. 24 hours before the eye passed over Nu'Trelle's condo it was turning in excess of 157 mph. Storms of that magnitude can cause damage that is "Catastrophic". People who don't leave when a storm like Irma is on the way and truly wagering with their lives.

After a storm passes, it's always easy to second-guess the forecasters and say things such as "They predicted 12-15 foot storm surges. What a joke. I doubt if we got 3." But people need to remember that forecasters are issuing warnings based on a storm's potential.

When Nu'Trelle returned home after Irma, he learned that several of his closest friends had stayed behind and hunkered down. One of them said, "Sounds like you and others had lots of problems on the road. I'm glad I decided to stay in Naples and ride it out."

My reply to him was this, "If you didn't evacuate for this storm, it's impossible for Nature to manufacture one that will motivate you to leave. I will never regret leaving an area that is directly in harm's way. One can only regret staying."

The eye came right over us and to be honest when that northeast wall hit us I was scared, family was in the middle hall bathroom and I was in the hallway at the doorway. One time I go to open the front door and the direction it faces is northeast so as I opened the door a huge fast gust of wind pushed the door and it took I had to close the door. It was then I had to clean myself in the bathroom. Neutral is correct that was a massive hurricane, I told everybody it was not going to go west and go straight up Florida and I was correct.

Luckily I don’t have any trees in my yard just plants, don’t have to worry about any storm surge as Wauchula is most up on higher ground except the east side who got bombarded with the surge of Peave River.

If it wasn’t for Hurricane Charley of 2004 Wauchula would have been destroyed in Irma. Charley knocked down hundreds of trees and a majority of ppl had to get new roofs so they went with the metal types. I have shingles and not one was lost but I’m going to install a metal roof come next year, DIY install, hopefully.

Be ready for sticker shock on metal roofs. I got a quote in 2008 on my 1400 sq ft house. Dimensional shingles were $4500 and a metal roof was $7500. I chose the cheaper which ended up being a great decision since I moved a year later.

I have no idea what they cost now!

Well, ...said a bunch a fancy talk while puttin on airs that ain't had Shinola to do wit me, till THIS, RIGHT CHEER:
After deciding unanimously that he was a whole helluva lot smarter than the average guy on FL Varsity,

Then amazingly, like a bolt out of the blue, a voice that sounded eerily similar to blackpopsicle's announced, "YOU HAVE NO WATER, DUMBASS, BECAUSE YOU HAVE NO &%$#@ ELECTRIC."

Instinctively, Nu'Trelle turned his head quickly and shot back, "OH YEAH? WELL ... THE JERK STORE JUST CALLED AND THEY'RE RUNNIN OUT OF YOU!"

Dear Nutrial,
I like the way you can conjure up my voice in times of distress or whenever that crucial, yet elusive closing bit is just hanging out there, waiting to be keypunched into comedy gold. My pleasure, cuz.

Look, man, I just wish you would have come on by the Popsicle Compound on your way up to Glynn County we were chillin', smokin' up all the small game in the freezer for that massive pot of Stew we cook up as soon as the power cuts off. We cleared the freezer, used the meat to chill beverages, put water in it's place to keep ice for the dark time. Stockpiled gas in former tuolene barrels just in case things got real hinky, tuned up every arc welder and generator, and got a solid assessment on where ammo was located in the area, juuuust in case.
I know you get nervous around Ms. Popsicle cause she beat you arm rasslin that one time, but she's settled down a bunch since the stroke made her arm kinda weak. She asks about you a lot, BTW.
We were lucky. So dang lucky. No flooding here and the power only flickered. Didn't make any money on the generators and gas, but made up for it on the osb board, before the storm turned up the assend of Florida.
Would have been great to see you! We'll do it for sure next year, I believe the big storms are going to become pretty regular, now that everbody is deniing science.

Your pal,
Blackpopsicle

Choctaw raises a good point that the Panhandle was out of harms way, had plenty of rooms, shoot Trelle I'd have put you up in Niceville. Florida is a big state all we got here was a cool north breeze and fantastic weather. There aren't many of us on this forum and most seem to be in south Florida but if you need a place in a storm I got bedrooms upstairs, cold beer and 4 BBQ grills, come on.

The chances of me ever getting out on "The Big Snake" as we'd call I-75 when we saw it at Tifton, Gerogia driving home from Kansas to Florida, is non-existence.

That doesn;t only go for a Hurricane, but also for a Chinese, Russian, Iranian, North Korean or Cuban missle. Skeletor freaked a lot of people up calling for the biggest evacuation in American history. We had a death toll before Hurricane Irma arrived.

Now there's no freaking gas for Puerto Rico

Skeletor? Are you speaking of our lovely governor running for his next political office?

If you tell people to leave, you better have the means to allow that to happen. Here the county made all 4 lanes of a divided highway go north during Hurricane Opal. And we still have a ton of people ride out the storm in their cars. It was really, really bad!

Last edited:
Yes, notice how everything he said was "I" did this or that? Jeb Bush during that summer of storms in 04 said we had to say then turned it over to the State Emergency Manager Director - the expert. That poor guy just stood there and got to say about two words while Skeletor was killing the microhone.

And he had the odasity to go to Puerto Rico; He they have their own governor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT