ADVERTISEMENT

Slightly OT: Nu'Trelle's tribute to Steely Dan's Walter Becker

Neutral 0bserver

Sep 6, 2002
By the time most of us could afford to go see Steely Dan in concert, they had done disbanded.

Nu'Trelle finally got to see them 30 years later. It was circa 2005 up at Ruth Eckerd. The ticket set him back a C note, but it was worth ever penny as soon as they opened up with "Peg".

Like SK mentioned, Walter Becker played little, if any, in the way of lead guitar, but during the second half of the show Donald Fagan introduced Becker and the crowd gave him a standing "O".

Becker lifted a hand above his brow, scanned the crowd carefully and declared, "We've been all over the world and seen thousands of drop-dead georgeous women, but I don't thnk I've ever seen a finer looking group of women than you guys brought here tonight!!!"

The women went nuts. They loved him.

Then Becker continued, "What I want to hear from each and every guy in this auditorium is this. Is the beautiful girl standing at your side just another acquaintance? Or she the one? A true soulmate? The woman with whom you hope to spend the rest of your life?"

Couples stood with eyes locked on one another. There was embraces. Lovers throughout the room kissed passionately as Becker let his guitar hang by the strap and raised both hands over his head in triumph.

Obviously, he had the crowd eating out of the palm of his hand. Also obvious were the fack that he probably had half the guys in the building lying their asses off ... but the wimmens was eatin things up wiff a spoon.

Then after allowing ample time for the cheering and applause to die down, Becker shared that he had finally met that special woman who was meant for him ... his soulmate.

That began what Becker became famous for after his days of playing lead were over - a full 5-6 minute, completely straight-faced, mid-concert Walter Becker tongue-in-cheek rant.

5 minutes later:
"... And so guys, if you ever TRULY believe that some woman is your soulmate, don't be surprised if the unpredictable bitch ransacks your apartment, sets fire to all your possessions, then goes out and totals your brand new car ... just like mine did."

As Becker wrapped up the bit with a very solid blues riff, two wimmens standing next to Nu'Trelle said, "You don't really believe that story is true, do you?"

Continuing right where Becker left off, Nu'Trelle shook his head wearin his best poker face and said, "I don't know. Same damn shit just happened to me last Friday. One day you're drivin a new Corvette, next day you're standin in line at Avis."

Reactions: Wavebb
That's a great story - surprised you didn't catch them at Barbara B Mann. Saw them in Tampa too.

Becker could shred it as a youngster, but like you say by the time we were able to see them things were a little different.

I did have a teammate who saw them in Tampa in 1973 - they came out in Baseball uniforms and hit softballs into the crowd. They only toured for 6 months, then stopped. But they had so many great studio musicians they had an abundence of guitar players - how about Jeff 'the Skunk' Baxter?

Here's some of Becker's early picking in an oh so classic Steely Dan solo.

... they had so many great studio musicians they had an abundance of guitar players ...
No doubt about that statement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7AjAvY_t0I
is a clip on the making of "Peg". Among other things, Fagan and Becker discuss the subject of guitarists, explaining how difficult it was to find the right guy for the song. They said they went thru 10-12 guys.

A little further into the clip, Michael MacDonald appears and talks about how nerve-racking it was to try to achieve the unbelievable level of perfection that Fagan and Becker were looking for on background vocals. Most fans would not exactly consider MacDonald a slouch ... and even an artist of his stature he was put to the test!

Anyone who thinks Steely Dan's success happened by accident should understand that Fagan and Becker were as gifted as any jazz/blues/fusion players of their generation. Much of the music they wrote was absolutely incredible and the sound that they were responsible for creating will likely never be duplicated.

RIP Walter Becker

Thanks for sharing that.

I remember Jeff Beck's wife saying in an interview that the only time she ever saw him nervous was doing a studio session with Steely Dan.

How about Larry Carlton on this, consider one of the all time great riffs. You know, I'm going to do all Steely Dan for the Hurricane. Got my three handles all ready.

Last edited:
I remember Jeff Beck's wife saying in an interview that the only time she ever saw him nervous was doing a studio session with Steely Dan.
When they went into the studio to record, Fagan and Becker were basically able to get any musician they wanted. Studio cats wanted to work with them.

Take a studio guy like saxman Cornelius Bumpus. The dude enjoyed a very reasonable level of success as a solo performer, but after his untimely death, his widow admitted in an interview that Cornelius' proudest achievement was always his affiliation with Steely Dan.

Fagan and Becker were both known throughout the jazz/blues/fusion industry as pro's pros. Other great musicians realized beyond a shadow of a doubt that Steely Dan was setting the gold standard.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT