ADVERTISEMENT

SK- Punta Gorda- No Tarpon

LAZL

Feb 5, 2003
SK,

I was a bit alarmed yesterday when I went to downtown Punta Gorda and asked the locals where I could catch some of their world famous Tarpon. They all looked at me like I was loco and said “you no catch Tarpons here in Punta Gorda, Roatan. Honduran Tarpon extremely rare. Must go to Florida. If you catch Tarpon in Honduran waters you might be killed.” So I settled for some conch and lion fish. De-freakin’ lish.

Reactions: Silver King
LAZL, I hear its beautiful down there. One of our old families did some cattle ranching down there around the turn of the last century until Banditos caught the owner with the payroll, robbed and killed him.

You may have found the same response in Florida's Punta Gorda rather than Honduras.

We have been overrun by Political Refugees escaping the badly run cities of the Northeast and moving down to Punta Gorda in droves. They aren't up to snuff yet on the local customs.

Reactions: LAZL
LAZL, I hear its beautiful down there. One of our old families did some cattle ranching down there around the turn of the last century until Banditos caught the owner with the payroll, robbed and killed him.

You may have found the same response in Florida's Punta Gorda rather than Honduras.

We have been overrun by Political Refugees escaping the badly run cities of the Northeast and moving down to Punta Gorda in droves. They aren't up to snuff yet on the local customs.
All of Florida is being overran but up northerners... Hence the craze in the housing market. A friend of mine just sold his home he paid 150 for in 2016 for 450. My realtor is telling me I could get near 400 for mine in which I paid 180 in 2015.

All of Florida is being overran but up northerners... Hence the craze in the housing market. A friend of mine just sold his home he paid 150 for in 2016 for 450. My realtor is telling me I could get near 400 for mine in which I paid 180 in 2015.
Mine told me much the same about mine, its tempting but then there's where to go after the house is sold........Punta Gorda is still about as nice as its get in as far as being close to Gulf Coast and finding reasonably priced homes, low crime rates and still not densely populated .......... (Manatee County heading South to Charlotte County)

Mine told me much the same about mine, its tempting but then there's where to go after the house is sold........Punta Gorda is still about as nice as its get in as far as being close to Gulf Coast and finding reasonably priced homes, low crime rates and still not densely populated .......... (Manatee County heading South to Charlotte County)
Exactly what I'm trying to get my wife to understand.

We can sell and make money then what... apartment living until we can get an overpriced house built or until we get lucky and find something a northerner isn't willing to pay 100k over asking price for????

I like my location but we need more space

What I liked about Punta Gorda was that it’s located on the northern, non-tourist part of Roatan. The tourists (mostly US) all hang out at the west end. We didn’t want that. So we got to experience the island beauty and the culture of the native inhabitants. It was great and I highly recommend a visit if you’re looking for a quiet, beautiful, friendly and fairly inexpensive getaway from the daily grind. We will definitely be going back. But now.......I’m ready for some football!

Reactions: Silver King
What I liked about Punta Gorda was that it’s located on the northern, non-tourist part of Roatan. The tourists (mostly US) all hang out at the west end. We didn’t want that. So we got to experience the island beauty and the culture of the native inhabitants. It was great and I highly recommend a visit if you’re looking for a quiet, beautiful, friendly and fairly inexpensive getaway from the daily grind. We will definitely be going back. But now.......I’m ready for some football!
Sounds great, did you do any fishing?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT