ADVERTISEMENT

Sarasota back transfers to Manatee

twc2499

Oct 28, 2006
Canes get Sarasota RB Josh Booker. Booker has transfered to Manatee and has started the second semester at the school. Booker ran for over 1200 yards and scored 11 TD's as a sophomore. The 5'10 195 pounder was a first team all area selection and will be a great addition to an offense that also returns QB AJ Colagiovanni 2500 yards passing and 24 TD's along with Wideout Tarique Milton over 800 yards receiving and 8 TD's
Canes have also finalized their Spring and Kickoff Classic games as they will host Countryside and Armwood. Manatee will open their season in Alabama on August 26th against Hewitt Trussville out of Birmingham.

That is a big blow for Sarasota High School being that this is a good D-1 back. It helps Manatee of course but I still don't see Manatee as being a state championship caliber team anymore since Kinnan left. They are going to need all the transfers they can get because I don't see much up and coming talent on the JV and Freshman teams. They will dominate the area, win their district, and lose in the 3 round like last year.

I would take that every year, winning the district, being the best in the area and getting to the third round!! Not to many teams get to know that feeling! They will be fine and the incoming freshmen class is very good. Manatee continues to be the top choice school in the area and will continue to get transfers. Josh Booker can be the difference maker on a offense that is going to be better than last years, and that was before his transfer!

I would take that every year, winning the district, being the best in the area and getting to the third round!! Not to many teams get to know that feeling! They will be fine and the incoming freshmen class is very good. Manatee continues to be the top choice school in the area and will continue to get transfers. Josh Booker can be the difference maker on a offense that is going to be better than last years, and that was before his transfer!
Have you seen the kid play?

Read that article this morning. What is happening at Sarasota HS that 7 starters are wanting out? I mean they had several games that were close this year and they could've easily been 6-4 or 7-3. And they had all but 1 guy returning? IDK. To me says something is not right. Shoot 3 of the guys went to Booker HS who Sarasota beat 38-0 his year.

My son will be a senior at Manatee next season and he says it's the players that are recruiting each other. These guys have been playing with each other since Pop Warner days and they have remained close even when they go to rivals schools. School choice has really helped in that process. It is so much easlier to transfer today than it was years ago. Why wouldn't you go to a school that is nationally respected and travels all over the country, wins district and state titles? That's the reward of having a top program! You can't blame parents and players for that! It's a different business today!

Last edited:
Well as of right now, you can't school choice to a different county, even though that bill that's being discussed would allow it. If you're going to switch from Manatee to Sarasota County, or vice-versa, you have to move--at least for the time being.

Neutral's take:

1. The short-sighted among us have to be experiencing non-stop orgasms over this development.

2. If we assembled the 10 most intelligent people in the world and offered them $100 million to develop a more effective plan to wipe out HS football, it's a safe bet they'd throw in the towel before they topped this one.

My son will be a senior at Manatee next season and he says it's the players that are recruiting each other. These guys have been playing with each other since Pop Warner days and they have remained close even when they go to rivals schools. School choice has really helped in that process. It is so much easlier to transfer today than it was years ago. Why wouldn't you go to a school that is nationally respected and travels all over the country, wins district and state titles? That's the reward of having a top program! You can't blame parents and players for that! It's a differnt business today!

Unfortunately its still not with the rules to switch schools for athletic reasons at this time. so no can't blame parents coaches what have you but if a kid is transferring solely for athletic reasons he can be deemed ineligible... Fortunately though the FHSAA doesn't enforce that or probably don't have the means to prove it in a school choice county so no harm will be done.

Neutral's take:

1. The short-sighted among us have to be experiencing non-stop orgasms over this development.

2. If we assembled the 10 most intelligent people in the world and offered them $100 million to develop a more effective plan to wipe out HS football, it's a safe bet they'd throw in the towel before they topped this one.

You got that right, ask anyone who played in the state before this school choice came around (60's-80's) and they will say the same thing it is dying and a joke.

It was happening back in the day. Not as much and not as publicized as it is today. Most of the kids started at the transfer school, they never went to their home school. The ones that did transfer after attending their home left quietly and not much of a stink was made publicly.

My son will be a senior at Manatee next season and he says it's the players that are recruiting each other. These guys have been playing with each other since Pop Warner days and they have remained close even when they go to rivals schools. School choice has really helped in that process. It is so much easlier to transfer today than it was years ago. Why wouldn't you go to a school that is nationally respected and travels all over the country, wins district and state titles? That's the reward of having a top program! You can't blame parents and players for that! It's a differnt business today!

TWC, good luck to your son his senior season, now I just hope some kid doesn't transfer in that takes his spot after all the work he's put in. That is where this type stuff creates disrespect for the game.

It's a little like religion; the tenants of most every religion on the planet are good and appropriate models to live life by, its how man has corrupted them for his own power that tarnishes them.

Silver King thanks! Your right, he has been working hard in the weight room and that is alway a possibility. Know doubt it can have a negative taste is kids mouths! There are pros and cons to this issue no doubt!

Reactions: Silver King
I think the Sarasota High coach kind of brought this on himself because he had a great group of freshman playing on the Varsity team since they were freshman. They have been on a very poor, losing team for 2 years straight, and now they want out. Just my opinion.

Sarasota hasn't consistently fielded good teams since the days of Charlie Cleland, and coach Whitehurst. I agree however the talent base in Sarasota Count is still there!

Go Canes Go!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT