ADVERTISEMENT

Manatee 47 Southeast 0 Final

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
Another running clock for the entire 2nd half, makes that part of the game seem like nothing more than going through the motions. More big plays by the Manatee offense and special teams accounted for 47 points in the 1st half, coming so fast Southeast never had a chance. Southeast has some incredible size and skilled talent for a 5A school, but not too sure about their over-all depth? Still not sure about Manatee going into the playoffs, Oak ridge could give Manatee all they can handle, but if the quick strike offense of Manatee gets rolling I could see another running clock too.

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
Oak Ridge has the talent on paper to give Manatee a tough game if they come to play. Against Apopka the score was 14-14 before they fell apart in the 4th giving up 29 unanswered. Michigan's HBC was at that game scouting Oak Ridge talent. Manatee should win this game but I would not be surprised if Oak Ridge puts up a fight.

Southeast definitely does not have the depth of Manatee, and likely never will again with three high schools on the east side. I did find it a bit classless that Manatee was running a fake extra point when up 45-0.

Well if the Oak Ridge game comes down to a 2-point play, we'll definitely be experienced.

Southeast definitely does not have the depth of Manatee, and likely never will again with three high schools on the east side. I did find it a bit classless that Manatee was running a fake extra point when up 45-0.
It was the second quarter. I understand why people would say that, but Manatee has a tough road ahead if they want to make a run. Running that in practice is very different than live game situations. You also give your opponent more to prepare for. You never know in this game of football. A fake FG for a TD might just win another championship down the road.

It was the second quarter. I understand why people would say that, but Manatee has a tough road ahead if they want to make a run. Running that in practice is very different than live game situations. You also give your opponent more to prepare for. You never know in this game of football. A fake FG for a TD might just win another championship down the road.

I understand the need to work on those type plays. But they would have been better served doing it when they were up 10 or 20 to 0. They legitimately went for 2 on their first 3 touchdowns. By the time they were up 45-0, they were faking it against a team that was over-matched, demoralized, and was likely not looking at a situation where a fake could be possible (i.e. likely not really planning to defend it)
Regardless, I don't know why Southeast even schedules that game anymore. They do not have to population to pull from that would even remotely give them the depth to complete with Manatee on a regular basis. By playing it the last game before the playoffs, you risk injury and killing your team's confidence. That is why the game was originally moved after 1992 and in some years, only played as the kick-off classic.

You need to understand why Manatee ran the score up on them and went for two after every score! It could have been 75-0 if Coach Booth wanted it to be! Southeast before the game was being disrespectful by banging on the mural in the west endzone. Coaching staff got a little upset. There is no love lost between these two! Manatee wanted to make a statement and they did!

Doesn't sound like there's much reason to keep putting the game on the schedule. Maybe both schools would be happier if the series was dropped.

Agree. This is only a rivalry based on the years of the teams being equal. Not even close to that these days.

That's is the reason why Manatee doesn't play Bayshore, Lakewood Ranch and Braden River on a regular basis. Now this year Braden River chose to not play Manatee and prior to that Manatee was blasting them. When Kinnan started playing out of state and looking for tougher competition to get his football team ready for post season, playing these guys accomplished nothing. Playing Southeast is more for the kids and community and is more deap seeded! Even though its been one sided as of late, its still a good rivalry on and off the field! I agree Southeast is really down right now as far as competing with Manatee.

Manatee should probably not play any local teams. No one is in the same class with them. They should probably play out of state teams. That would also help them obtain better players from other states, which would also help them in post season play.

I'd love to get the Lakeland/Manatee rivalry going again. A lot of history between these two teams.

Playing Southeast is more for the kids and community and is more deap seeded! Even though its been one sided as of late, its still a good rivalry on and off the field!.
Games that end 47-0 (which according to you could have been 75-0) are not a "rivalry". They are a "debacle".

Here's the best Nu'Trelle can do for ya, twc2499: There are two type of people in this world. Intelligent people constitute one group. People who can't locate their ass with both hands on a cloudless day form the other. Here's how you can tell them apart:

Intelligent individuals are able to figure out in a New York second that if most of the best athletes in a given area go to one high school, that school is ordinarily going to field the dominate team.

On the other hand - for the morbidly stupid (i.e., people who are dumber than a box of rocks) - that same concept will never dawn on them. So you'll see people from this group celebrating 47-0 wins, dislocating shoulders slapping themselves on the back over running clocks, talking about great coaching, great game-planning, better conditioning, etc, etc, etc.

And as Sonny & Cher once pointed out, "The Beat Goes On".

Reactions: westcott75
Manatee and Southeast should take each other off the schedule. It's not benefiting either school at this point in time. Southeast needs to schedule a team that they can compete against. I would love to see Manatee play Charlotte or put Venice back on the regular season schedule. Their are several Tampa teams they could play.

Reactions: peezy28
For me this season, the number of running clock games Manatee has had wasn't so much about Manatee having vastly superior athletes, but more a tribute to scheme, a once in a blue moon collection of skilled talent at the WR position, and finally…… yes coaching! I mentioned just last week that since I’ve been watching Manatee football, I don’t believe Manatee’s ever had a group of WR’s that do everything as well as this group does!

I watched a number of big pass plays this past Friday night against Southeast, which were executed only because of the excellent down field blocking from the other WR’s were providing. There was no physical domination of Manatee over Southeast, but just plain old execution of the play from a team standpoint. I’m going to give Booth his due for the finished product he puts on the field and taking what he has and making it work. He did much the same last year when he lacked any real consistency from the QB position, and yet he found a way to take the talent he had and get the most from it.

Southeast physically was a fairly even match for Manatee, but where the separation starts is how well Manatee executes its play on Offense and Defense. I would say the same with almost all of its games this year, where there was a running clock. Where Manatee will have problems now that were into the playoffs, is a team that can execute equally as well as Manatee in addition to being physical on the line of scrimmage…..(Something I believe this year’s Manatee teams lacks)

Neutral everyone knows where you stand about the fading away of traditional HS football, but its not always just about one team cornering the market. Braden River is rated Top 1 or 2 in 7A, Palmetto missed the playoffs this years because Braden River and Venice (had a combined record of 19-1) happen to be in their District. And Southeast made the playoffs in 5A. I’d say that’s representative of talent that’s spread throughout all of Manatee county, and not just at one school

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
Reactions: jgking83
I remember when we used to play Bayshore and this is what the scores usually looked like. How long since we last played Bayshore?

Pretty sure Braden River would have taken Manatee to the wood shed this year. But, we'll never know. Good luck to both teams in the playoffs.

Pretty sure Braden River would have taken Manatee to the wood shed this year. But, we'll never know. Good luck to both teams in the playoffs.
181 I'm not sure about taking Manatee to the wood shed, Manatee would have presented a offensive challenge Braden River hasn't had to face this year. Braden River certainly missed an ideal opportunity this year to truly establish itself as county king, if they indeed declined an opportunity to play Manatee as twc2499 has indicated.

Go Canes Go!

You need to understand why Manatee ran the score up on them and went for two after every score! It could have been 75-0 if Coach Booth wanted it to be! Southeast before the game was being disrespectful by banging on the mural in the west endzone. Coaching staff got a little upset. There is no love lost between these two! Manatee wanted to make a statement and they did!

I agree about the love/hate that each schools have towards one another on the field.

Any time a team has a chance to run the score up on a Manatee team, you can bet your butt on it that they will.

You can't expect a team to take a knee and punt the rest of the way.

Everyone got upset when Manatee kicked the fg at Sarasota a couple years back which was his record long.

It's football and if you can't stop their offense, the score is going to continue to grow,

Manatee and Southeast should take each other off the schedule. It's not benefiting either school at this point in time. Southeast needs to schedule a team that they can compete against. I would love to see Manatee play Charlotte or put Venice back on the regular season schedule. Their are several Tampa teams they could play.

I disagree with you one this one. These kids play and anticipate this game for those btragging rights. This game should NEVER be taken from these kids.

Most of them grew up together playing PAL ball and there's always that chance the underdog pulls one out.

Let's not forget how many times SE blew huge leads to Manatee. They can still be competitive against Manatee as you never know how that oblong will bounce.

I disagree with you one this one. These kids play and anticipate this game for those btragging rights. This game should NEVER be taken from these kids.

Most of them grew up together playing PAL ball and there's always that chance the underdog pulls one out.

Let's not forget how many times SE blew huge leads to Manatee. They can still be competitive against Manatee as you never know how that oblong will bounce.
The running clock in the second half of all of these games this season has really put immediate stop to the scoring onslaught, if anything its not really allowed much of a chance for the 2nd teamers to get any playing time. Coach Booth has really good about putting the 2nd teamers in the second half of all of these games.

Go Canes Go!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT