ADVERTISEMENT

Manatee 52 Lakewood Ranch 6 Final

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
Manatee opened the game on offense with 2 INT's in the Lakewood Ranch end of the field on its first 2 offensive possessions. That would be just about as good as it would get for Lakewood Ranch the rest of the evening.

Well I'll add one more highlight, Corey Sanders had broke a big gainer on a short pass completion and looked certain to go all the way for a TD, when out of no where a Lakewood Ranch player came out of no where...(running as if he had been shot out of a canon), to run Corey down from behind. I couldn't believe it, as up to that point I would have put money down betting no one could catch Corey from behind like that! You have to admire a player, that despite the circumstances of the game is still out there giving his all!

Last edited:
Heidel had a pretty good night other than the two picks. One pick wasn't his fault. Other than that he was 16-19 260 yards and 2 TD's. Canes also rushed for around 200 yards between 5 different backs! This would have been over much earlier if it wasn't for the picks deep in Ranch territory. Big test next week! Manatee will have to play their best game of the year to beat Venice!!

Wasn't picking on the QB, just trying to provide a short description of the game and I believed that pretty well summed it up. All in all as of this point in the season, the Manatee QB has far exceeded my expectations and believe or not I believe there is a abundance of opportunity for him to continue to progress. I believe the Lake Minneola and IMG games were his best games despite them not necessarily being games where his passing stats were huge. As at that point you saw a bit of him turning the ball up field a number of times and running with authority. The injury to his non-throwing hand I'm sure had a lot to do with that not being the case lately, other then to escape a defensive rush.

Watched the Riverview/Venice game this morning. Riverview's inability to mount any kind of a affective passing attack, I believe led to that game getting away from them. They were up late in the 1st half on Venice 14-7 and things pretty much went south for Riverview from that point when Venice scored to make it 14-14 going into half. Venice is obviously a very good team, just not sure its a better team than what we've seen from them the previous 2 seasons when they played until the championship game.

TWC2499, you see the beat down the Venice JV put on the Manatee JV Thursday night? Jaquez on a number of occasions had stated this Manatee JV team was his best JV team so far. Thursday night Venice JV team made Manatee JV look like a varsity versus JV match-up, it was that bad!

Last edited:
Yeah, pretty bad! JV has terrible coaching, I mean terrible!! Talent is not the issue. Their freshmen class is very very good. Most of those starters on the team are freshmen. They have some big physical hollywogs up front that will get better on the next level. Manatee could be one hell of a team next year! A lot of key players return next season.

As for Andrew Heidel, many believed he was going to be a good one. Son of a coach and the kid really studies the game. Actually watches film with his dad. Remember he is playing with a broken bone in is non-throwing hand right now. I like him! He is 92-147 for 1285 yards 60% passing and has 12 TD's and 4 INT's. He will be even better next year as they return most of his receivers.

Big test for them this Friday at Venice. I do believe Venice is not as good as they where last year. Unless Manatee completely has a total melt down they will be able to hang with them. Remember a few years ago Manatee beat Venice during the season but lost to them in round three of the playoffs. So this game will not determine much. They will likely meet again in the playoffs. I did think this was going to be one of Manatee's loses this year. A 9-1 season is reachable.

Yes he is and his staff is not doing a very good job with what they have! I guess that's the reason why you would be a JV coach and not a varsity?

Yes he is and his staff is not doing a very good job with what they have! I guess that's the reason why you would be a JV coach and not a varsity?
Well okay then, just wanted make sure my information was correct.
Curious, Who is the responsible party for allowing said JV coaches to coach?

Last edited:
Good question...I think it the head coach. It so hard to get commitments from people since it's a volunteer job. Heidel I believe is on staff at Manatee. Some of them are ex-players. Some schools are having the JV and varsity practice together during individual period and then break up when they scrimmage. I know some of the coaches and there good dudes! Now that there is no Freshmen program the JV teams are mainly freshmen which means lot's of mistakes and poor play especially when playing against older JV teams. It is what it is. It will be interesting which players Green moves up after their season.

Question: When I graduated in order to graduate, you were required to have 2 full credits in PE. Typically a student would fulfill this requirement during his/her Freshman and Soph years. Is having 2 PE credits no longer required to meet all the core credits requirements to graduate?

Just trying to understand this apparent shortage of on staff coaches? My freshman year we had 2 Freshman football teams (Red & White), a JV football team and of course a Varsity football team, all were coached by coaches and/or teachers (in some cases), already on staff at Manatee...............so what happened that to have enough coaches in today's hs environment, you're basically dependent on finding someone outside the school system to satisfy core coaching needs?

That was the problem on the varsity level Green's first season. With very little support from administration there were no positions at the school for him to hire assistants. Now the new administration has given him several teacher positions to hire coaches. Joe was very fortunate to have almost his entire staff on staff at Manatee. That led to very little turnover and he established a very good staff. It's even harder on the lower levels. Your coaches are at other schools and have jobs that cause issues of getting to practice on time and availability. It is definitely not what it was when you and I were at school. Times have changed!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT