ADVERTISEMENT

Manatee 37 Tampa-Riverview 7 Final

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
Running clock again for all of the second half brought a quick end to this game. Riverview scored a 4th QT TD against the 2nd and 3rd team defense after a turnover by the Manatee 2nd team offense. Not much to say about Manatee as the Manatee 1st team offense and defense simply over-whelemed the Tampa-Riverview team, much in same manner they've done to opponents the previous 4 weeks.

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
My old RB was at the game (His wife is a Manatee Grad at her Reunion), said lots of team speed - big good looking Q, but he said there were a few dropped balls. He was most impressed with the Manatee O-line, and I'm here to tell you he knows good O-lines, he had the rushing record for 37 years here until Bellamy finally broke it (Who had one of my sons blocking for him).

I was hard on the OL to begin the season, I have to admit to that......against a now 2 loss Hoover, Alabama HS they were man handled by the Hoover defensive front. It wasn't a very good performance team wise and I believe defensively for Manatee they were still struggling with adapting to the 3-4. Against Lincoln the 2nd half Manatee just seemed to lose its intensity and eventually lost a big lead and the game. The Palmetto game I felt Manatee dominated physically......(which the way Braden River dominated Palmetto last night seems to validate that point), but Manatee just made a boat load of mistakes that game to make that game much closer than it actually was in as far as Manatee needing a last second FG to pull the game out.

Ever since then Manatee has performed better and better each week. They're blessed with an unbelieveable amount of skilled talent and I mention a week or 2 ago the QB play is the best since Cord Sandberg last played at Manatee. I feel with the improvement by AJ at the QB position you have to attribute allot of that to the type of coaching he's getting from coach Booth.

Manatee has a team that can easily find its self playing very late into the postseason. I really wish I was down there on a year like this year, because I would love to be able to check out your Tarps and the Braden River team. Both teams intrigue me on their potential to play into the later rounds of the playoffs. Braden River in my mind has only either Dwyer or St Thomas standing in the way of playing to the finals and the Tarps look at this point to have Naples or Armwood stading in their way......

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
Only a fool judge a HS football team on it's furse couple efforts. Much the same, only a fool judge a can of Old Milwaukee Non-premium beer on the furse couple sips. Those of us who is true beer lovers knows you have to let an Old Milwaukee mellow out for a minute or two. That's why we always opens up a new one when we halfway done with the current one ... assuming we has another one, nomsayin?

The new jumbo tron was up and running, and I've gotta admit, it is brilliant. Like something you'd see at a professional stadium. They also added new racks of speakers on both sides of the away lights that go with the jumbo tron. You'd have to really be there, but it feels like a whole new stadium, complete with graphics, fan cams, game footage, player profiles, multiple live camera angles, and yes, commercials (unfortunately).

22419209266_12f5a63cb5_o.jpg

22257482958_82876393ff_o.jpg

22456105091_fdfa52bc94_o.jpg

Last edited:
Nice - Charlotte will be tested by PC next week, never matters what their record is they always spend a little of their season looking to this game - the day their talented, young new head coach was hired, he said he was watching film on Charlotte. It's even better that its for the District Title, then the Fish get Palmetto, always an athletic team, so I'm curious to see how they do up there.

Manatee will go to playoffs as a district champ, beat a runner up from a another district first game. Then they may play Steinbrenner again in the second round. I don't see them winning the third round game.

Manatee's potential 2nd round game with Dr Phillips will be a tuff game, one I could easily see them losing due Manatee's over-all lack of physicality along its offensive and defensive lines. If Manatee were to get by its 2nd round opponent a 3rd round opponent of Vero Beach or Osceola (Kissimmee) awaits, which would be another game that would be a tall order for Manatee to get a "W".......but I wouldnt rule out Manatee managing a win in either contest.

Go Canes Go!

Manatee will go to playoffs as a district champ, beat a runner up from a another district first game. Then they may play Steinbrenner again in the second round. I don't see them winning the third round game.

Oak Ridge is not a guaranteed win for any team. While Manatee should beat them, if they look ahead they could get upset. Last Thursday, for three quarters, they gave Apopka all it could handle before running out of gas in the 4th quarter. Also, I would be very surprised if Steinbrenner beat Dr. Phillips. Not saying they are not decent, but Phillips is better than its record and has solid playoff experience. In fact, I would think that if Manatee got past the second round, the third round game will actually be easier.

I have no expectations for the post season this year for the Canes. I'm optimistic, but 8A is a mystery to me this year. Hoping for more than one home game!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT