ADVERTISEMENT

Venice 56 Manatee 24 FINAL

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
I had thought the game had the potential to be like this, but in the back of my mind I thought if the defense could keep this close.....who knows????? What I wasn't counting on was by the end of the 1st QT, remarking to my wife what a SOB Peacock was and my sentiments only became more entrenched by the end of the game! For a number of reasons which tomorrow when I've had more time to digest what I watched, I'll write about. By the end of the game there was no handshake, but instead a law enforcement presence at the center of the field to ensure the 2 parties never came together. I blame the officials for letting it get to that point, they called penalties but never really had a awareness that the game was slowly inching away from a competitive football game, to one where emotions were about to boil over.

Peacock has his fast break offense running like a well oiled machine, the defense at some point however may be its undoing somewhere during the playoffs. Manatee's defense had players dropping like flies all night, when it wasn't giving up big play after big play. I want to say despite everything the Manatee offense did alright for the most part, but there were issues here and there that stalled drives as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkECannon
Venice is, and has been, in a league of their own for a quite awhile now. Coach Peacock, love him or hate him, he's a machine; great staff/coordinators and he just plugs in the athletes (Both starters and backups).

He has a tight knit old-Florida community behind him and was made for this modern era of prep football. The Indians shot by Naples a while ago as the premier program of SW FL/Suncoast.

Reactions: MarkECannon
Interesting when I read what you wrote, that during the span of time Manatee County has seen 3 new high schools built, as well as the emergence of multiple private high school football teams, Sarasota County hasn't seem 1 new high school built during that same time frame? Its allowed Venice HS to be pretty much remain a one team community onto its self, while also regularly taking talent from other nearby schools. I don't see that has something that remains static, with the rate of growth I'm seeing in the North Port Area alone.

I watched the video of the game, and Venice is clearly just a much better team and program than Manatee is. Some of the things I felt I was seeing from the stands, after watching the video I felt were more a result from of my own personal dislike for Peacock then anything else.

The Tarps have won 2 straight and if my understanding is of the playoff situation for 4S District 15 is correct the Tarps are still in a great position to qualify for the playoffs.....despite the slow start?

Yeah, very weak 4 -team district. Someone told me this weekend, if we win Friday, those 2 district wins will be enough to win it- because Lehigh and us already beat the other two. Of course they also said, we'd probably be the 8th seed and have to play (0h boy) Venice.

Last edited:
It does however keep the kids potentially engaged for the entire season as well as one additional week of playoff prep.

Yes, we've been playing a slew of 9-10 graders - they've had injuries and had to use 4 different kids at QB. Two seniors would be considered above average, and with that they've played hard against a schedule of 9 playoff teams 3 regional finalists. But in the games I watched, they continued to play to the best of their ability and with effort. So it would be nice to see them play well and get the W vs. Lehigh so the year isn't a wash. But you never know.

As a district champ, I believe you would at least host a 1st round playoff game. I believe it would be a 4 vs 5 seed 1st round. I'm thinking you'd see either of the following the 1st round.....Palmetto, Riverview or possibly Immokalee? Its a potential second round game you'd probably see a Venice at that point......Tuesday's rankings when they are released will shed more light on potential playoff scenarios........

Reactions: Silver King
Coach Peacocks remark about all the Manatee cramping last Friday night: I thought they had the guru at Manatee now for strength and conditioning? I was really surprised at this point of the season, at how much cramping they had and we had just 1 the entire game. .........

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT