ADVERTISEMENT

Manatee 34 Lennard 26 FINAL

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
So........despite its 0-6 record, Manatee still has a outside chance to qualify for the playoffs as either a District Champ or as a wildcard qualifier. The scenarios are still rather complicated at this point, and I think next week I will devote a post specifically on that subject for Manatee as well as other Charlotte, Manatee, and Sarasota County teams. In as far as tonight, Manatee has do something it has not done yet this season..............WIN, no ifs or maybes about it!

To give everyone a idea what Manatee has faced thus far, the FHSAA currently shows Manatee opponents up to this point of the season with the 10th highest for all classifications (opponent win percentage) at .775, while the LAZ index currently shows Manatee with the states #1 most difficult schedule for all classifications.

Both teams have faced a common opponent in Palmetto, with Palmetto defeating Manatee 27-9 and Lennard by the score of 48-13. Manatee has a offense that is just a absolute mess, and I'm not sure with the coaching issues/departures as well as player departures there is anything left to salvage? Defensively I see a Manatee defense that could dominate a team like Lennard, if not just simply keep Manatee in the game despite its problems on the offensive side of the ball. If Manatee can get its running game going, I believe Manatee wins this one......if the head ball coach however insists on calling a game like he has all season, I believe he makes this game closer then it should be. its a game Manatee should win, but could just as easily lose.
Prediction: Manatee 21 Lennard 17

Last edited:
When Manatee wasn't doing many of the type of things its done all season on offense, the offense found its self moving the ball on the Lennard defense with relative ease all night long.......particularly on the ground! I'm going to guess, but the Manatee offense probably generated in excess of 400 total yards last night. Defensively Manatee struggled with finding a answer to slowing down the Lennard QB, whether he was running, escaping the Manatee pass rush, or passing the ball........basically the Lennard QB was the entire Lennard offense.

Manatee did what it had to do last night by winning a game it had to WIN, by beating a team it should have beaten. Still lots of issues with this team that comes down to basic coaching...... tackling, rush angles etc..... that just aren't going to be corrected with this staff. From a talent standpoint, Manatee has the ability to win all of its remaining games and possibly still get into the playoffs..........lack of competent coaching makes that however a long shot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT