ADVERTISEMENT

gatorman001, missing your Playoff analysis

Silver King

Nov 29, 2002
Punta Gorda
I hope you're not pissed about the lack of pick-em participants, but I only watched home games this season and would have been worthless. Plus we only have a few regular posters.

You seemed a little surprised at Manatee this season playing as well as they did. Given how they finished, in your estimation did they over or under perform? Also does Venice roll to another title.

Down in SWFL I was hoping the Pirates finally got over the Naples hump but looking at their schedule, it didn't help them for that test (beat 2 teams with winning records). That used to happen to us in the 2000s, when we got past the first round. Dunbar however surprised me. They've established themselves as a pretty solid program.

1.) Was a little disappointed in the response............yes. I figured between the lurkers, regular & in-frequent posters and then the random morphs that still show up here and there, we'd generate at least 4-6

2.) Manatee won 2 games I expected them to lose at the beginning of the year, (Lake Minneola and Port Charlotte), Lake Minneola gave up 77 points last week to Lakeland last week in the playoffs, so that put that season opening win in perspective. Port Charlotte allowed Manatee to pull one out of its backside to claim a win in the closing minute of that game and I felt pretty much Port Charlotte deserved to win. I didn't catch the Naples/Port Charlotte game but was surprised at the score. I felt last year the Port Charlotte coach approach to the Naples game, was one of being a decide underdog and his team played like it. Not sure what happen this year?

Manatee had a terrible OL this year, and its defense despite all that talent on the D-line and in the defensive backfield had terrible LB play pretty much the entire season so I felt it was under performed defense unit. Your LBs typically lead your team in tackles, and instead Manatee's were middle of the pack statistically. The kid at MLB despite his size and hype, got manhandled, couldn't disengage off blocks and many games missed more tackles than he made. I thought the D-line also plays on its raw talent alone, and isn't getting the kind coaching it needs to go next level, particularly at the DE positions

The fan base however is thrilled with its 9 win season, with better coaching I however felt this was a team that should have been playing Venice last week in the 3rd round. My mind hasn't changed one bit on Green being a average coach at best. Was the 3rd year in a row I felt Manatee as a team was not playing a higher level at the end of the year and had in fact regressed........my comment to one of the radio guys was..."With the kind of talent Manatee had this year and the schedule they had, I could have coach them to a identical record if not gotten another win or 2 out of them!" I sincerely meant that!

3.) Dunbar has for the second year in a row, far exceeded my expectations. They at this point could do the same to a unsuspecting undefeated St Agustine team tonight. Watched the game last week and have to admit I turned it off when Naples scored it TD with just 10+ seconds left in the game......Who kicks off deep to allow a return to be setup in a situation like that..(that's on the Naples coach), and missed that runback?

I watched the Deland/Seminole game this season. Deland looked and played like a typical Darlington led Apopka team. They had no answer however for the Seminole offense that game, The Venice offense is way better than the Seminole offense I watched. The Venice defense however has some chinks in its armor versus the run and I could see a Darlington single wing keeping the Venice offense off the field more than normally or at least limiting the number of plays it gets to run. Was thinking about going to the game tonight, but Peacock talked me out of it, by stating no online ticket sales and long lines at the gate tonight on his weekly show.....so I'll be watching online instead. This is a game I could see a upset with the right kind of breaks going Deland's way, but Venice has to favored to win.

Lakeland at Buchholz - Lakeland's defense has some incredible team speed and has the ability to recover quickly from breaking big plays by its opponent. I don't believe Myles Graham at running back for Buchholz, has caused Lakeland to game plan any differently then it would normally. I'm expecting Lakeland to win convincingly and we'll see a Venice/Lakeland rematch it the state title game. You know the Lakeland QB, started for Palmetto his freshman and Soph seasons and left for Lakeland when Marino retired......funny how Lakeland does that with QB talent it seems almost every year?

Vanguard/Mainland - both team played Lake Minneola and both beat Lake Minneola, Vanguard won 35-21 and Mainland won 31-28. The Vanguard game, Vanguard jump out a 20 point lead only to see Minneola make it close going into half. 2nd half however was all Vanguard. The Mainland game was kind of a back and forth game. Manatee played Vanguard in a spring game, which Vanguard used big pass plays at the end of both half's to tie the game at half and subsequently win the Manatee Spring game. I believe Vanguard win's tonight

Booker and Cardinal Mooney, both teams are peeking at the right time.....but Booker plays Cocoa (I feel 1 of the top 4 teams in the state this year!)......I'll be checking in on this game often to see how it goes, but Cocoa has to be a heavy favorite. Cardinal Mooney has some pretty good size and talent (a Gator commit at DB), I can see them advancing to the championship game.....I remember as a kid the 70's team winning a state title and being caught up in the state tile run , reading the Bradenton Herald and Sarasota Herald tribune daily to keep up with that run!

Last edited:
I’m at the Jacksonville Trinity Christian @ CCC semifinal. Good to see gatorman001 back.

Missed on the Mainland/Vanguard game.
Yes you did and just for kicks Deland's balanced attack in a loosing effort at Venice. 120 rushing yards on 20 attempts and going 7 for 18 pass attempts for 122 yards. Of course this was in a "must throw" situation. Through last week's Regional Championship, Deland's QB TJ Moore had run for 1297 yards and 12 TD's and thrown for 1497 yards with 20 more TD's. Clearly Deland still runs the ball ALOT. And the beating my chest for Deland comment still pisses me off. Much like someone long ago on this very web site, you easily got under my very thin skin. Tell it all " Are you the real Neutral Observer ? " #ballbusting101

Reactions: MarkECannon
75- 80% of those rushing yards came from Deland's first 2 drives of the game, but in the span of about 1 minute and 30 seconds in the 1st QT the score went from 7-7 to 22-7 (Peacock decides to kick a onsides after a Venice 80 yard TD run, Venice recovers and 3 plays later its 22-7), and Deland from that point was pretty much forced to abandon the run and instead go into passing mode. In fact if not for a penalty on a Punt ran back for a TD, the score going into half would have been 43-7 and Deland would have been under a running clock the entire second half.

Allowed me to pretty much watch the Lakeland/Buchholz game exclusively, as Deland was a defeated team by the end of the 2QT. My comment was not meant or intended to cause you skin irritation, nor was it taken from some course on how to cause sudden testicular rupture......(see the linked song with my 1st post on this thread). I'm not Neutral, but I do believe there are a few that do know who he is. They however have collectively remained resilient in keeping that secret, similar to how the powers that be have refused to divulge the names of individuals on the E P S T I E N flight logs, from the masses.

These last 2 posts by Dan and Gator have me reminiscing about the days of Neutral and canes###(don’t remember the #’s in his name). Thanks fellas!
If I remember correctly it was <Canes0177> or something close to that......Wavebb or Silver I'm sure knows.....Wavebb used to tell a story of running into him on the HWY ( not sure if it was I75 or Tamiami Trail) and then confronting him later at a the stadium....cant remember if it was in Bradenton for a Manatee game or in Ft Lauderdale at home STA game. Wavebb used to say he was the statistician for STA????

He was such a homer that when Manatee upset them in the semis at Hawkins Stadium, he blamed the loss on not having their #1 TB, of course he left off the guy that did play that night only went on to rush for a 1000 yards and lead the Wisconsin Badgers in rushing the next year as a freshman, and that the OC didn't make the game as he stayed at home to be with his wife for the birth of their child......This was a team that had several 5* players as well as other highly rated 3* and 4* players

Reactions: Silver King
Yes, that was that condescending, miserable old goat, Canes 0177.

My very first post here 21 years ago was to drag him through the mud after he had been going on about St. Thomas getting ready for their annual playoff tune-up romp through SW Florida. Now granted, even Don Shula said in the paper that he wasn't driving across The Alley to watch his grandson play and would wait to see him at home the next week (made the bulletin board). And yeah, they had put 56 on the Tarpons over in Ft. La-te-da the year before, but Canes 0177 was such a pompous arse.

So, when the Tarpons became the first West Coast team to upset them and send them back across The Alley with an L, I damn sure let him know about it - with an epic post, if I must say so, myself. The next week was the Tarpons first and only national ranking at #10.

With that said, when Hurricane Charley destroyed Tarpon Stadium less than two years later, STA donated the entire gate from their first home game to our Athletic Department. Such a classy thing to do. And I always liked STA. I played in college with an STA LB; he dated Chrissy Evert, took me on a tour of the campus, and introduced me to his coach, who also coached Brian Piccolo (I saw his jersey on display in trophy case).

So really, Canes 0177 is the only bad experience I had with STA.

Reactions: MarkECannon
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT