ADVERTISEMENT

I'm in Guam

jgking83

Jun 4, 2007
I'm looking forward to seeing what high school football is all about out here. Maybe I can get my feet wet in coaching while I'm here. I'll be here for three years.

Lots of happenings back home to keep up with. Thank God for social media and these message boards. Hope all of you are well.

Hafa adai,,

I played for Andersen AFB when they had tackle football during the UOG battles while they were running that single wing. Saw some good players who later played at Hawaii. Sounds like your Air Force. I am retired Air Force. Good luck and enjoy!

This post was edited on 2/9 8:28 PM by BCWildCatCoach

Hafa Adai,

I'm Army actually. We have a small unit out here now. I worked out with the Andersen Bombers (the base basketball team) on Saturday. Those guys can play. I still play flag football some but basketball is more my thing now. There are some adult football leagues out here that I might look into.

I'll look for a helmet for you, Silver King.

You da man. When I was a sophomore, I played against a tough hombre Linebacker from Bethany College who was 28 at the time and had just returned home from Okinawa where he played football in USMC league. Talked to him after the game and found he had also served in Vietnam. Be safe jgking83, thanks for your service brother.

Some seriously non Baptist talk; Originally posted by BCWildcatcoach and jgking83:
Hafa Adai,
Let me tell you something right now. You young bucks better recognize the sacrifices made by your elders in this forum.

And not just fighting the guerrillas in the Slapnation conflict. There was a time when such non Baptist talk would get you banned.

Ain't that so, Mr. High as a Georgia Pine?!

83,stay safe troop and when will you ETS !! One vet to another. How long have you been in ??

Originally posted by Drummer61:
83,stay safe troop and when will you ETS !! One vet to another. How long have you been in ??
Thank you. I'm in it to win it now. I've got 13 years in and will be retiring when I hit 20.

Enjoy it while you are there! It's always great to see the world and experience different cultures on the DoD's dime.

I liked the island of Guam. Was there en-route to Vietnam. It's much like a mini Hawaii both in weather and the types of people. A beautiful but very treacherous harbor entrance to the docks. However, it's a long way from anywhere out there all by itself in the South Pacific.

Originally posted by ProSetEye:
I liked the island of Guam. Was there en-route to Vietnam. It's much like a mini Hawaii both in weather and the types of people. A beautiful but very treacherous harbor entrance to the docks. However, it's a long way from anywhere out there all by itself in the South Pacific.
God Bless you brother - thanks for your service. My draft number was 24 and Nixon stopped the draft that year, so I got to go play football.

I just happen to be writing a book about Vietnam. A few years back I did some research and found that Charlotte High School had 64 serve there, two died there (The war took some more as recently as last year from PTSD).

Two of my neighbors served, one a 3-tour USMC Helicopter pilot and another from the 101st AB. That's a fairly large number from a retirement county that had only 16,000 residents in 1960 and 27,000 in 1970 with the highest per capita age in the nation.

I remember that summer of 72 before leaving for college, working a summer job and one of our older buddies had recently returned from the Delta (9th ID Riverine). It got hot, we peeled off the shirts and he was scared up something awful. It took us a while to get him to talk about it, he had never even mentioned being wounded. He was walking point and was hit by a Claymore in an ambush and two AK rounds. If anyone could have been pissed about me and a buddy yacking all summer about college it was him, but he couldn't have been happier for us. Great guy then and now.

Originally posted by Silver King :
Originally posted by ProSetEye:
God Bless you brother - thanks for your service. My draft number was 24 and Nixon stopped the draft that year, so I got to go play football.

I just happen to be writing a book about Vietnam. A few years back I did some research and found that Charlotte High School had 64 serve there, two died there (The war took some more as recently as last year from PTSD).

Two of my neighbors served, one a 3-tour USMC Helicopter pilot and another from the 101st AB. That's a fairly large number from a retirement county that had only 16,000 residents in 1960 and 27,000 in 1970 with the highest per capita age in the nation.

I remember that summer of 72 before leaving for college, working a summer job and one of our older buddies had recently returned from the Delta (9th ID Riverine). It got hot, we peeled off the shirts and he was scared up something awful. It took us a while to get him to talk about it, he had never even mentioned being wounded. He was walking point and was hit by a Claymore in an ambush and two AK rounds. If anyone could have been pissed about me and a buddy yacking all summer about college it was him, but he couldn't have been happier for us. Great guy then and now.
Thank you, sir. Did two tours of Nam on a naval survey ship mapping the mouth of the Saigon River. Swift boats going 'round 24/7. Could watch and hear the offshore firing from the Battleship USS New Jersey and cruisers. Being in the Navy I never got on shore but had a front row seat for the light show. Millions didn't serve but did their part supporting the troops in the best way that they could. Those people deserve as much credit as I do.
3dsmile.r191677.gif

Doesn't matter, you served thanks. Another buddy was with an Army Detachment guarding ammunition barges on the Mekong River. He was on duty the night the Tet Offensive started, said he was throwing burning ammo crates off the barge so it wouldn't go up and caught a round in the leg. He felt they were very lucky because they were firing mainly on the base across the river with mortar rounds going over the ammo barge.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT