ADVERTISEMENT

Has UCF Cracked the Top 3?

LAZL

Feb 5, 2003
Here's my take. If they played FSU 10 times, they might win one. If they played Florida 10 times, they might win 3. If they played Miami 10 times, they might win 5. Therefore, it's my opinion that the Knights are on the verge of cracking the Top 3. Now ten to fifteen years ago, this would have been quite an accomplishment because the state of Florida consistently had three teams in the Top 25. But this is not the case today. The strength of our state's collegiate teams on a national scale, has declined dramatically. Does anyone disagree?

I agree with the FSU, against UF it's 5 out of 10, against Miami its 7 out of 10. There is a reason UF played ECU and not UCF.

Originally posted by Sir Galahad:
I agree with the FSU, against UF it's 5 out of 10, against Miami its 7 out of 10. There is a reason UF played ECU and not UCF.
Until UCF gets its line built up, I'd agree with Laz. UCF has some great skill players but lack of muscle up front is why the struggle with P5 teams like NCSt, and Missouri this year and South Carolina last year.

I think UF is one good qb away from being dominate again.

Originally posted by Hwy17:
Until UCF gets its line built up, I'd agree with Laz. UCF has some great skill players but lack of muscle up front is why the struggle with P5 teams like NCSt, and Missouri this year and South Carolina last year.

I think UF is one good qb away from being dominate again.
This was the first year that the OL was poor in a very long time. That being said, the OL was very, very bad, the worst I have seen since the Div 1 jump in 1996. They will build it up but UCF is now short three coaches who knows what the staff will look like next year.

Originally posted by charminharmon:
Hey, Florida WON their bowl game.
UCF beat ECU by 2
UF beat ECU by 8

UCF had 6 days to prepare; UF had 33 days.

I think Sir Galahad has been hitting the bottle more than I have this holiday season. Are you trying to tell us this O-line was worse than the ones from 2003 & 2004 when UCF went 3-20 in the freaking MAC?

Originally posted by LAZL:
I think Sir Galahad has been hitting the bottle more than I have this holiday season. Are you trying to tell us this O-line was worse than the ones from 2003 & 2004 when UCF went 3-20 in the freaking MAC?
Cedric Game-Marcoux was a first round pick by the CFL and had a good career. Kyle Watkins was in and out of NFL camps and on the practice squad for Dallas. I can't see one player from this OL playing any sort of pro football.. Oh and then there was one other guy on the 2004 team, a guy named josh Sitton, you may not have heard of him. Look him up.

This post was edited on 1/4 9:09 PM by Sir Galahad

The Knights had some good players back then, but the coaching was bad. I went to some of those games.

Originally posted by Cocoa2010:

UCF beat ECU by 2
UF beat ECU by 8

OH. How many days did ECU have to prepare? And NC State, how many days?

I'm not the one claiming rank in the state, or how much better one conference is than the other.

Why does UCF fan have to justify what they do or moreso, what OTHER conferences do? Win your games, play a tougher schedule, do something beside losing to UConn.

I can't see one player from this OL playing any sort of pro football..

This post was edited on 1/4 9:09 PM by Sir Galahad
If you don't see Torrian Wilson in the pros, you need to wipe your glasses.

... There is a reason UF played ECU and not UCF.
You alluded to this before. You going to make a definitive statement that can be backed up, or you just jacking again?

Originally posted by Cocoa2010:

UCF beat ECU by 2
UF beat ECU by 8

OH. How many days did ECU have to prepare? And NC State, how many days?
NCST has nothing to do with the common opponent.

I'm not the one claiming rank in the state, or how much better one conference is than the other.
Neither is UCF; A UCF fan didnt start this thread to claim status in the state.

Why does UCF fan have to justify what they do or moreso, what OTHER conferences do? Win your games, play a tougher schedule, do something beside losing to UConn.
The SEC tries to justify themselves more than any other conference. UCF doesnt have to justify anything; it is what it is. More wins, UCF; More Losses, UF.
Want another common opponent? Mizzou beat UCF by 28 and UF by 29.

UCF played 6 bowl teams and was 3-3 against them. Those 6 teams combined for 50-29. AVG: 8-5
UF played 8 bowl teams and was 3-5 against them. Those 8 teams combined for 76-31. AVG: 9-4

Originally posted by Cocoa2010; among a lot of other self/team justification:

The SEC tries to justify themselves more than any other conference. UCF doesnt have to justify anything; it is what it is. More wins, UCF; More Losses, UF.

Want another common opponent? Mizzou beat UCF by 28 and UF by 29.

UCF played 6 bowl teams and was 3-3 against them. Those 6 teams combined for 50-29. AVG: 8-5
UF played 8 bowl teams and was 3-5 against them. Those 8 teams combined for 76-31. AVG: 9-4
Again, every pleading post for acceptance at the grown ups table just makes UCF fan look even more pitiful. If, as you say, UCF doesn't have to justify anything, then maybe the silence of their self awareness will be very refreshing.

This post was edited on 1/5 8:21 PM by charminharmon

+3 there's an old saying "It's easy to be brave from a safe DISTANCE." I think I'd rather see my team play head up than play Six degrees of Kevin Bacon to try and justify.

UCF has done very well in the conference they play in, well coached team, but please don't come on here and start bosting about what games they'd win. What are they, 0-2 against Miami? At least USF schedules Miami.

They're going to have to earn their way up to the traditional top 3, whose can't recruite this state like they used to.

They need to first start beating recognizeable names on their schedule like Penn State, Missouri and NC State, and schedule the state's Big 3 more. Otherwise its wishful thinking - but there's a lot of that going around.

Originally posted by Choctaw_fan:
Looks like their defense may take a hit. Hope it's a good move for the Gators!
Florida needed to go harder to keep Travaris Robinson, IMO. But, hey, maybe bringing young talent up from the minors is the way to go!

Just kidding, Cocoa, it's a joke.

Silver King, do you think your Canes are still committed to having a top notch winning program? Most of my family are canes and they really don't feel that is the case.

Donna Shelala is moving along, she's the Political Correct Queen who also liked the dirty money - how she lasted is beyond me. My image od her will always be her smiling with that $50,000 check at the bowling alley that dirt bag gave her - if you're going to do it, at least get 6-figurers. Her getting off scott free would have been like Hermann Goering getting accuited at Nuremberg. She's been one of the biggest hindereances I think.

I got excited after the FSU game about the future, then the rest of the season was more of the same. When FSU got exposed, I didn't feel quite as good as how they played against them. Golden needs to make his move if its ever going to happen.

I really believe they have some of the pieces right now, Q, RB, and the next two seasons will tell. Hopefully the new Pres knows some of trhe older Canes boosters who can remind him how good it was for the U back when they were knocking off #1s by the handful.

Not sure I can say we got exposed being that our defense has been bad all year for the most part.

This is kind of a pointless topic...people said the same thing about USF 5-6 years ago and the Bulls actually beat UM and FSU on the field. UCF has a had a really nice last few years but they haven't played one of the big 3 since UM in 2009. They don't recruit Florida kids nearly as much as the other Florida schools do so I can understand there being less importance at taking their shots at the big 3.

While I'm a much more realistic fan than sir galahad I dislike the usf comparisons for two reasons. One, show me their conference championships, 2 show me a meaningful bowl win. Maybe that clemson win in 2010 but that's stretching it. We still have a long way to go as far as national recognition, facility upgrades, and recruiting our own state but we're making positive strides towards those goals each year.

Sorry guys exposed is a little harsh. I Thought FSUs Defense got better as the year went on, that #8 was all over the place. Figured they would play a little bit better then they did during the season in the playoffs. I also thought the O-line was one of the teams strengths after they moved the OT to Center, untl that game. Jamis put them in holes all year with INTs, but aside from a play or two, he didn't play that bad.

The RB I like is the kid from Central, Yearby, he had over 500 rushing this season and showed he has the hands for those throws they make it that O for Duke and is hopefully a little more durable. At least they have someone there they can build on.

Originally posted by bludog100:
So who do ya'll think was, is and will be the better back--Cook or Yearby?
Just took a quick look and the stats are very similar. Both averaged 5.9 yards per carry.

In my opinion it will be Cook, but the U did have a REALLY good OLine recruiting year last year and are looking to back that up this year. So who knows.

Originally posted by Silver King :
+3 there's an old saying "It's easy to be brave from a safe DISTANCE." I think I'd rather see my team play head up than play Six degrees of Kevin Bacon to try and justify.

UCF has done very well in the conference they play in, well coached team, but please don't come on here and start bosting about what games they'd win. What are they, 0-2 against Miami? At least USF schedules Miami.

They're going to have to earn their way up to the traditional top 3, whose can't recruite this state like they used to.

They need to first start beating recognizeable names on their schedule like Penn State, Missouri and NC State, and schedule the state's Big 3 more. Otherwise its wishful thinking - but there's a lot of that going around.
You really need to learn more about the college game. USF, FSU and UM will no play UCF. They will play USF because USF plays in an off campus, NFL stadium that seats 66,000 people and USF averages around 20,000 actual butts. The deal USF does with those teams is 15,000 tickets plus a split gate. UCF has a 45,000 seat on campus stadium that they average around 40,000. They won't give FSU, UF or UM split gates or more than any other away team tickets of 5,000, UCF simply does not need to. FSU offered to play UCF at the Citrus Bowl this year if UCF split the gate 50/50, why on earth would UCF do that?

Oh and why UF played ECU instead of UCF, the SEC has a rule not to play non BCS teams from the same state. UF would not have played UCF just like UM wanted nothing to do with the Bitcoin Bowl which was where they were supposed to go.

Oh and why UF played ECU instead of UCF, the SEC has a rule not to play non BCS teams from the same state. UF would not have played UCF just like UM wanted nothing to do with the Bitcoin Bowl which was where they were supposed to go.
Got a link?

You're right, UF won their bowl game.... a supposed SEC Powerhouse reduced to grandstanding about an 8 point win over East Carolina that was never really 'in the bag' until the final whistle. Come on... I see Timmy Tebow isn't doing much these days, maybe you can shake some NCAA eligibility out of the ol' Gator magic hat...

Originally posted by blackpopsicle:

Got a link?
No link, find out for yourself. Go back 10, 20 years and show me I'm wrong.

Hey CobraCOMMAND, you need to look up the stats for ECU. They have one of the most powerful offenses in D-1. Their QB is ranked #2 in passing yards. A wide receiver is ranked #4 in receiving yards. The team is #6 in total offense.

The Gators allowed over 500 yards of offense and still won the game. They held ECU to 8 of 20 third down conversions and 0 of 2 fourth down conversions. It was a very good bowl game!

Oh and why UF played ECU instead of UCF, the SEC has a rule not to play non BCS teams from the same state.
Interesting rule. There is no BCS.

Oh and why UF played ECU instead of UCF, the SEC has a rule not to play non BCS teams from the same state.
Interesting rule. There is no BCS.
Interesting only because you are so polite. It's bullshit. Because I asked the one guy in Jacksonville that would know better than anyone else.
He tells me, "To my knowledge, there is no such rule."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT