ADVERTISEMENT

FHSAA Announces 2019 and 2020 Classifications (Many Changes)

I like the Manatee district. Makes more sense and allows for more out of district games.

Wow, Crestview, Niceville, and Navarre all go up to 7A and Choctaw goes down to 5A? I have no idea how that happened. I don't think they redrew the lines for each school. Ft Walton is the only Okaloosa County team left in 6A so they will be doing a lot of traveling. Hopefully, the district will force Choctaw to ask to move up to 6A since they are only 3 students below the max. It only makes sense. But, knowing their coach, he will want the advantage of being in 5A. It probably won't help them much.

With these big districts covering from Pensacola to Tallahassee, they are basically blocking the panhandle out of the playoffs. Oh well, no one gives us any respect anyway!

Wow, Crestview, Niceville, and Navarre all go up to 7A and Choctaw goes down to 5A? I have no idea how that happened. I don't think they redrew the lines for each school. Ft Walton is the only Okaloosa County team left in 6A so they will be doing a lot of traveling. Hopefully, the district will force Choctaw to ask to move up to 6A since they are only 3 students below the max. It only makes sense. But, knowing their coach, he will want the advantage of being in 5A. It probably won't help them much.

With these big districts covering from Pensacola to Tallahassee, they are basically blocking the panhandle out of the playoffs. Oh well, no one gives us any respect anyway!

There will be no appeals so what you see us what you get

At least with the new Manatee 4-team District there will be some schedule flexibility that might allow for Southeast HS to go back onto the schedule. The Manatee/Sarasota game at one time ranked as one of the oldest rivalry's in the state of Florida, so I'm glad to see they are back in a district with Manatee as well. As a kid growing up the Manatee/Sarasota game was always scheduled for the 1st game of the year.
Breaking the Miami powers the way they did, pretty much assures a Miami sweep of state titles 4A-6A.....Too bad there was no way to put any of the traditional Miami powers in the same classification with STA, as I see 7A still being pretty much a cake walk for STA in as far as getting to the title game.

jgking83, did you see the big soph OT Charles Armstrong for Manatee is playing B-Ball for Manatee? l have no idea what his talent level is on the B-Ball court is, but can you imagine the physical presence of a 6'5" 275lb kid brings for Manatee in the paint? The B-ball team for Manatee has started out on a positive note at 6-3 this season, and knocked of Venice last night in OT. Has a big game next week against Braden River who only has one loss. The Manatee Wrestling team is also undefeated with a few football players on the varsity squad!

Go Canes Go

Last edited:
Reactions: jgking83
Hopefully they stick to a 2 year cycle I believe the last time the 4 year cycle started some schools were 7a and 8a within a year with new housing developments popping up everyday.

With free agency that doesn't factor in like it used to. Populations shouldn't be used anymore.

A "program attraction" factor that assigned a yearly point deduction for each transfer (with a progressively higher number based on soph, junior or senior, as well as a greater deduction if he came from a program with a worse record then where he transferred). You factor that into the current formula like the wins, losses and playoff points, and that would better serve overall competition than school numbers which have now been rendered meaningless.

Population should be used, but from this point on. Add 5% for each round of the playoffs they advance
(1st +5%, 2nd +10%, 3rd +15%, state semis +20%, state finals +25%) add for each both years onto whatever new total is.
So Raines with a population of 1361 adds 50% as a repeat champion for the past 2 years (or 680 students) for a new student population of 2041.

Any school that misses the playoff for both years subtract 30% from their population Good schools move up, bad schools move down. Much easier. It isn't about every team getting a trophy, it is about playing on a level playing field.

Or simply do like European soccer. Start with population. Worst 16 teams in a classification move down, best 16 teams move up. Teams will eventually settle into their comfort zone of where they are can be successful.

Population should be used, but from this point on. Add 5% for each round of the playoffs they advance
(1st +5%, 2nd +10%, 3rd +15%, state semis +20%, state finals +25%) add for each both years onto whatever new total is.
So Raines with a population of 1361 adds 50% as a repeat champion for the past 2 years (or 680 students) for a new student population of 2041.

Any school that misses the playoff for both years subtract 30% from their population Good schools move up, bad schools move down. Much easier. It isn't about every team getting a trophy, it is about playing on a level playing field.

Or simply do like European soccer. Start with population. Worst 16 teams in a classification move down, best 16 teams move up. Teams will eventually settle into their comfort zone of where they are can be successful.

Love all these ideas

Reactions: Choctaw_fan
With free agency that doesn't factor in like it used to. Populations shouldn't be used anymore.
People wiff a good memory will recall that Nu'Trelle mentioned the exact same thing 20-25 years ago.

Fairness in Florida HS football became a joke many, many years ago.

Southeast has zero chance for making the playoffs with the new district alignment. I think they finish last next season in their district. If you put Manatee on the schedule, and Booker, Cardinal Mooney also, they could easily have 7-8 losses next season.

1. Braden River
2. Palmetto
3. Charlotte
4. Port Charlotte
5. Southeast

Last edited:
I call B.S. on the no appeals. The fact that 7A is not in a Panhandle District and Tallahassee District is Bananas. Also Miami Northwestern in 5A is wild. They will crush every body.

Panhandle schools will always be hard to handle.
If you separate the Panhandle and Tallahassee schools, Tallahassee only has 3 schools, so you have to add Gainesville Buchholz.
That means putting 8 Orlando area schools into one district and really most of the time the FHSAA didn't change districts only allowed teams to move up or down or to a closer district. Tallahassee schools couldn't really make the argument that Jacksonville schools are closer.

Why wasn't Moore Haven placed in 1A?

I think they have to petition to be in it and perhaps they did not want to deal with the travel that Pahokee has to come playoff time... I think they should have because they can play the same teams since there are no districts in 1A.

I call B.S. on the no appeals. The fact that 7A is not in a Panhandle District and Tallahassee District is Bananas. Also Miami Northwestern in 5A is wild. They will crush every body.

By population MNW is in the correct class. We will see very fast if they allow appeals. I am pretty sure they will not.

Panhandle schools will always be hard to handle.
If you separate the Panhandle and Tallahassee schools, Tallahassee only has 3 schools, so you have to add Gainesville Buchholz.
That means putting 8 Orlando area schools into one district and really most of the time the FHSAA didn't change districts only allowed teams to move up or down or to a closer district. Tallahassee schools couldn't really make the argument that Jacksonville schools are closer.

There are 7A schools in Jacksonville and I believe Lake City also.

There are 7A schools in Jacksonville and I believe Lake City also.

Yes, there are teams in the Jacksonville and Gainesville area in District 2, but Lake City Columbia has moved down to 6A. Thus if you add the 3 7A Tallahassee schools to district 2 (Jacksonville), you now have 9 teams in a district, not an ideal situation.

If you want to have the Panhandle as it's own district, the only real solution was as I described. Taking the 3 7A Tallahassee schools, adding Buchholz (Gainesville) and creating a new district. The problem then is that if means you have to combine another district someplace. The only solution is to then combine districts 3 and 4 into one district which puts 8 teams into a district.

----
“Tallahassee only has 3 schools”

Last I checked Tallahassee had Leon, Lincoln, Godby, Rickards and Chiles

It could be that I was referring to the previous posts that referenced 7A Panhandle and Tallahassee district, and thus that there is 3 Tallahassee schools in that classification, but who knows.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT