ADVERTISEMENT

Apopka 35 Columbia 14

DarterBlue2

Aug 2, 2003
Apopka led 35-0 before Columbia took a kickoff 95 yards to score. According to the Gainesville newspaper website, Columbia scored again in the final seconds of the game.

As a side note, I went to the Osceola/West Orange game and left in the 4th quarter with the score tied at 28 and the backups in. Osceola fumbled the ball twice and got stripped twice. Otherwise, I think they would have won the game. It is early in the season and improvements are expected, but last year's West Orange team looked better to me.

You should have said hi darterblue. I thought we played a lot more physical on offense tonight than in the spring vs Apopka. We have a lot to work on turnovers being the main one. You can't turn it over 5 times and beat a good team. West orange will be fine and don't write them off yet. I don't think they go undefeated in the regular season but I wouldn't be shocked to see them playing in December

You should have said hi darterblue. I thought we played a lot more physical on offense tonight than in the spring vs Apopka. We have a lot to work on turnovers being the main one. You can't turn it over 5 times and beat a good team. West orange will be fine and don't write them off yet. I don't think they go undefeated in the regular season but I wouldn't be shocked to see them playing in December

Coach, I actually asked the Defensive Coordinator for you about an hour before kickoff. He took a look around but could not track you down. I ran into a person I knew professionally who had come to the game with his grandson. They went and sat on the West Orange side as the kid's mom was an alumna. I tagged along with them. I agree: Osceola looked a lot sharper than they did in the Spring. It should be an interesting season.

Apopka's defense was very much ahead of the offense the other night. Columbia had 28 yards rushing and 57 passing with 46 of the passing coming on the final drive when lots of guys were playing First-team defense really put the clamps on Columbia, especially with the surge up front. Offense put up 35 points but still has a long way to go.

Reactions: blackpopsicle
[QUOTE="APKnewzguy, post: 27312, member: 1798...Offense put up 35 points but still has a long way to go.[/QUOTE]

Love quotes like this.
I hope it means Columbia's defense gave up thirty five but really has a long way to go.

Blackpopsicle, Darlington wasn't pleased with his offense's execution. Up front, the Darters are still seeking cohesion. In the backfield, there is talent but it certainly was in preseason mode vs. Columbia. The offense is still looking for leaders on offense. At this point, this team reminds me more of the 2001 state title team as opposed to the three most-recent teams that have won two state titles and finished as runner-up the other time. That 2001 team had a great defense and an offense that was better than average but nothing spectacular. We'll see how it all turns out.

Blackpopsicle, Darlington wasn't pleased with his offense's execution. Up front, the Darters are still seeking cohesion. In the backfield, there is talent but it certainly was in preseason mode vs. Columbia. The offense is still looking for leaders on offense. At this point, this team reminds me more of the 2001 state title team as opposed to the three most-recent teams that have won two state titles and finished as runner-up the other time. That 2001 team had a great defense and an offense that was better than average but nothing spectacular. We'll see how it all turns out.

Not so fast, sir. The 2001 team had the famous: A, BB, C stable of runners plus Ruth, Ritz, Susley et al on the lines. And towards the end, the ill fated McMiller had a reliable set of hands and lots of speed. That offense was plenty fine and if this one could replicate it, another trip to the Citrus Bowl would not be beyond the realm of probability if the defense is as good as you imply.

Oh. So as state title teams go, this year's team kinda sucks.
Laughing.
Fellas, you won by 35.
I doubt RD is ever content with performance until Christmas week. That's why you have a ring for each finger.

Apopka fans are so political on message boards, I love it... It's as if Darlington has complete control over PR. He's kind of like Belichick... he keeps it all internal, then APK rolls thru to the title.

I do have a question for APK fans - what if your team was in region 2 these last few years? I know the final four results show but some good teams were eliminated every year from region 2. I was hoping DP would move into region 1 with the Orlando teams but now we've got Manatee round 2 (instead of Plant)... Region 2 has been very tough.... As I look at region 1, once again, Apopka and West Orange pop out and then there is a bit of a decline. Sure there are a few dark horses.

You don't need to answer the question posed above. I do see APK or West Orange as the Region 1 final four representative though. It's too early to guess, we'll have to see how each team progresses.

Last note, and Apopka fans will know this is important...Manatee may want to start becoming familiar with Oak Ridge. They will meet twice in two years. Oak Ridge is the CLEAR third best of that block of 12 teams from 8A-5 and 8A-6.

Last edited:
Apopka fans are so political on message boards, I love it... It's as if Darlington has complete control over PR. He's kind of like Belichick... he keeps it all internal, then APK rolls thru to the title.

I do have a question for APK fans - what if your team was in region 2 these last few years? I know the final four results show but some good teams were eliminated every year from region 2. I was hoping DP would move into region 1 with the Orlando teams but now we've got Manatee round 2 (instead of Plant)... Region 2 has been very tough.... As I look at region 1, once again, Apopka and West Orange pop out and then there is a bit of a decline. Sure there are a few dark horses.

You don't need to answer the question posed above. I do see APK or West Orange as the Region 1 final four representative though. It's too early to guess, we'll have to see how each team progresses.

Last note, and Apopka fans will know this is important...Manatee may want to start becoming familiar with Oak Ridge. They will meet twice in two years. Oak Ridge is the CLEAR third best of that block of 12 teams from 8A-5 and 8A-6.

Mid, the most talented team Apopka has faced the last two years was in the Region 1 third round match with First Coast. That team has athletes all over the field. Unfortunately for them, they found it extremely difficult to stop Apopka's single wing offense. I am pretty sure, though, that if First Coast had beaten Apopka last year they would have won the 8a title. DJ Matthews is a beast!! I believe they would have outscored last year's Manatee team and physically dominated Columbus. This year, Region 1 should be easier with FC back in 7a.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT