ADVERTISEMENT

SUMNER 40 WHARTON 14

MarkECannon

Oct 9, 2010
This was the first time I have been to Sumner High. It opened in 2020. I wanted to see why this school got so good in football so fast. As I winded through multiple residential neighborhoods from my home in Valrico to Riverview(about 20 miles) I came upon this beautiful new school that resembled an upscale private. The football stadium matched the school. I couldn’t help to think if this is the new age of public high school football we are in better shape than I thought.

Just before the teams ran on the field to start the game a recorded description came over the PA system of what we were about experience in The Tank(Sumner ‘s mascot is the Stingrays). It began with ominous sound effects and an ominous voice naming all the areas that are within the Sumner district. It warned of the Rip Tide that would pull opponents under and off to sea. I was amazed when the individual stadium lights were flashing on and off for special effects. I’m not saying the whole board of lights but the individual lights within the board. Most colleges don’t have this much less high schools in Florida. I asked myself, What’s next?, LED lights flashing with the school colors like you see in many college stadiums today?

Alright, now to the football. The Wharton Wildcats were the visiting team with a 3-1 record. Their only loss was to Jesuit in their opening game. On this night the Wildcats did what it took to lose the game with at least 7-8 dropped passes, a snap going over the QB’s head losing the ball 20 yards behind the line of scrimmage because the QB tried to pick it up instead of falling on it and receivers twice fumbling the ball after achieving significant gains at important moments of the game. Wharton had a good offensive game plan spreading the ball around to various receivers. Wharton’s defense was stingy and aggressive. Despite the final score believe or not the Wildcats could have won this game.

Now to Sumner’s undefeated football team. They are solid but not spectacular. Defense is their strong suit. It was obvious why have kept their opponents’ points to a minimum. You can pass on them however as Wharton receivers were open many times. I will say the Stingrays’ DB’s laid the lumber which caused those 2 fumbles by receivers. Sumner runs a ball control offense. They like to establish the run then pass when they have to. The biggest factor in the game was the legs of 6’4” senior QB Greg Smith III. The Stingrays had some designed runs for him but the most damage was done by Smith taking off during pass plays. Many times Wharton defenders had trouble catching up to the long legged Sumner QB.

Bottom line, even though Sumner committed their share of penalties they otherwise played a clean game. Wharton seemed to let down in the 4th quarter after turning the ball over during promising drives therefore leading to the lopsided score.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT