ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Kings strike again :)

181pl

Aug 24, 2006
Tampa
From Dallas J.

http://vype.com/nationalhsfootball/...st-thomas-aquinas-from-prestonwood-christian/

5 high profile transfers in one sitting. Not bad. Canes must be elated :).

For his senior high school season, the younger has transferred the Plano private school to his dad’s alma mater, St. Thomas Aquinas, a national power in Florida. Before starring with the Cowboys, Irvin’s dad was a star player at the University of Miami under Jimmy Johnson and the younger Irvin is expected to follow his dad’s footsteps in playing at Miami but has offers from Georgia, South Florida, SMU and North Texas.
The Irvins told Prestonwood coach Chris Cunningham earlier this month he was transferring. Irvin has improved consistently at Prestonwood, where he was a standout 8th-grade basketball player with Mickey Mitchell (Ohio State hoops signee) before concentration on football. Last season, Irvin had 103 catches for 1,249 yards and 13 touchdowns. He had 21 receptions against IMG Academy, one shy of the state single-game record.
St. Thomas is expected to have another national power house with receivers Trevor Grimes and Miami commit Sam Bruce and highly rated defensive lineman Nick Bosa. The South Florida Sun-Sentinel noted Irvin is one of several high profile transfers for the Fort Lauderdale power including Kedonis Haslem, son of Miami Heat star Udonis Haslem. Haslem, a 6-4, 300-pound sophomore offensive/defensive lineman, transferred from Dade Christian.
Also joining Aquinas football are running back Mike Epstein from Cypress Bay, quarterback Jake Allen from Cardinal Gibbons and running back James Charles from Coconut Creek

So, are the Irvins moving to their winter home?

All the former athletes do this. I just hope he can make a difference and the help Miami in coming years.

How'd you like to be that kid whose been there the whole time and worked his butt off thinking it was his time to shine at one of those positions?
If that kid has been in that program for three years, (hey, it could happen!) then he's probably pretty good in his own right. How do you think the Irvin kid or dad would take to being a backup?

Guys, they're a private school. They're permitted to more or less openly recruit. And all of the guys "who have been there", typically know the deal. They will get playing time when the game is put away and some of them I'm sure are satisfied in telling their grand kids one day that they played with this guy, or won a ring that year. I played against them in the playoffs in 2002. I mean, even back then they would keep a legacy on the team here or there, when we played them they had one at third string QB (one of Don Shula's grandsons). Being a junior, and a two way starter, my head coach wouldn't allow me to leave the locker room on my own post-game due to his fear of them trying to get me to flip across the state for my senior season. Looking back, I had family living in that area and we did not return to the post-season the next year, so maybe I should've left while my coach wasn't looking, but oh well.

Point is, it's been going on for years guys. And most major PUBLIC programs recruit themselves by way of their achievements and stellar records, kids MAKE SURE they become part of the programs they want. But, in about another year, there should be no more complaining about this. With the basic dis-banding of the FHSAA, everyone can do what they do, you just won't have the pedigree or cache perhaps.

The rich will still get rich if the FHSAA gets disbanded. Who would go to a school that sucks if they have an opportunity to go to a school like STA? Everyone thinks this will make it all better but it wont because now it wont be illegal to do. Schools will more openly do it and it will just separate the top schools from the rest.

Guys, they're a private school. They're permitted to more or less openly recruit. And all of the guys "who have been there", typically know the deal. They will get playing time when the game is put away and some of them I'm sure are satisfied in telling their grand kids one day that they played with this guy, or won a ring that year. I played against them in the playoffs in 2002. I mean, even back then they would keep a legacy on the team here or there, when we played them they had one at third string QB (one of Don Shula's grandsons). Being a junior, and a two way starter, my head coach wouldn't allow me to leave the locker room on my own post-game due to his fear of them trying to get me to flip across the state for my senior season. Looking back, I had family living in that area and we did not return to the post-season the next year, so maybe I should've left while my coach wasn't looking, but oh well.

Point is, it's been going on for years guys. And most major PUBLIC programs recruit themselves by way of their achievements and stellar records, kids MAKE SURE they become part of the programs they want. But, in about another year, there should be no more complaining about this. With the basic dis-banding of the FHSAA, everyone can do what they do, you just won't have the pedigree or cache perhaps.

Ha! We beat them a week or so later in Punta Gorda CC, you appreciate the fact that I'll never let a reference go by without sneaking that in. You guys had a heck of a team that year - I grew up with Finnegan's dad. That wasn't you that caused that Midgett fumble on the sack when you jumped out to the early lead was it?

The rich will still get rich if the FHSAA gets disbanded. Who would go to a school that sucks if they have an opportunity to go to a school like STA? Everyone thinks this will make it all better but it wont because now it wont be illegal to do. Schools will more openly do it and it will just separate the top schools from the rest.

I agree entirely. Supposedly it will "still be illegal to recruit" but who will monitor that?

Ha! We beat them a week or so later in Punta Gorda CC, you appreciate the fact that I'll never let a reference go by without sneaking that in. You guys had a heck of a team that year - I grew up with Finnegan's dad. That wasn't you that caused that Midgett fumble on the sack when you jumped out to the early lead was it?

I was more responsible for the recovery than the strip. That was my Junior year, definitely a fun season. And I know y'all had a great run that year, they called me up and got a quote from me for the paper the week you guys faced STA. Asking if I was pulling for the county or wanting to see the CHS boys fall.

IMG has 20 players with star rankings. Crazy. 3rd year of varsity football coming up and already probably the best team in the country if they gel and play as a team.

I was more responsible for the recovery than the strip. That was my Junior year, definitely a fun season. And I know y'all had a great run that year, they called me up and got a quote from me for the paper the week you guys faced STA. Asking if I was pulling for the county or wanting to see the CHS boys fall.
I won't put you on the spot about what you said. That was one of the best, well rounded Pirate teams I've ever seen and that includes the recent District title team. Griff Howard was a damn good Q.

I won't put you on the spot about what you said. That was one of the best, well rounded Pirate teams I've ever seen and that includes the recent District title team. Griff Howard was a damn good Q.
Believe it or not, I threw my support behind the county rival. I was a kind hearted football personality. haha. Griff was perfect for the offense we ran. Unfortunately we continued to attempt to run the same offense the following year with a QB that didn't have the same skill set. Of course, my senior year, went 1-8.

I am getting a flash back remembering seeing your quote - he and Midgett were the best two Qs ever in the county at one time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT