ADVERTISEMENT

Riverview 42 Manatee 33 FINAL

Wavebb - I guess you just missed it completely, Neutral's remark "No one raped anyone and no one was convicted of a felony" then he had to go back to the 80's to support that statement. No one rapped anyone or got convicted of a felony at Manatee HS in the 80's either.........so? What the hell does that got to do with today and what's happening with each school systems current history? Maybe he missed it in 2014 when a Estero High School’s Spanish and French teacher, and soccer coach was accused that February for having sexual relations with a student. Guess what the school system did about it.......not a blessed thing. Yes there have been some ugly things that occurred at Manatee High School in the last 5+ years, but I don't need some sanctimonious hypocrite preaching to me when he's got things going on his own community and school where he was actually directly involved in at one time that are just as ugly.
My remarks were related to a moral and ethical theme of the school systems in general, not a comparison between Manatee versus any Lee county HS athletic accomplishments.

Go Canes Go!

Reactions: Wavebb
Maybe (Neutral) missed it in 2014 when a Estero High School’s Spanish and French teacher, and soccer coach was accused that February for having sexual relations with a student.
To gatorman001: Nu'Trelle doesn't watch the news every single day. Do not recall hearing of this. Was the teacher charged? Was there a trial? Was there a conviction? Or were there only accusations?

It takes quite a few people to operate a large, metro area high school. The local news stations attempt to cover the various incidents that occur - fights, teacher/student improprieties, bus drivers dropping kids off at wrong addresses, etc., etc., etc., ad infinitum. If you can keep track of all of it, more power to you. You're much more aware than Nu'Trelle.

Guess you could say that no school - or very few schools - could be deemed forever free of a single wrongdoing, rule violation or infraction. If you dig deep enough, you could probably accuse someone of doing something wrong at every high school on the map. Nu'Trelle would never argue the point.

But what happened at Manatee was much different. You're far too intelligent to not realize that the massive amount of wrongdoing at Manatee effectively created a "culture" that lived a life of it's own. It was something that people surrounding the athletic department were forced to accept as "standard operating procedure". Open your mouth and run the risk of having your career come to an end. How much more "wrong" can things get?

The guy at the center was a tyrant who placed himself and his cronies above the rules. He had absolutely no respect for his superiors, nor any concern that he would ever receive sanction. After 29 years, he was the King. He ran the show and anyone who had a problem with things would incur his wrath.

It took a lot of courage to take down Joe Kinnan. I hope you realize that, partner. The people of Bradenton who knew the difference between right and wrong and were unwilling to trade their integrity for the chance to win another trophy finally stepped to the fore and put Kinnan right where he belonged. Out of a job with no possibly of ever committing any further wrongdoing at the school.

So go find a magnifying glass and compile a list of wrongdoings, or accusations of wrongdoings, at all Florida high schools. If that will make you feel better about all that took place at Manatee, more power to ya.

This is an altered universe, who'd have thought the normally cut-through-the-smoke-and-mirrors gatorman would end up being the defender of the Manatee program when all those other fans who drank the Koolaid, slipped away?

I'll remind the Manatee faithful again about when many of them lambasted me during the Joe Paterno situation, then did a complete 180, when their Joe started facing the same situation.

Like Neutral suggests it took a lot of guts for the school board to do what they did and assign blame not just on the legendary HC like those chicken shits did at Penn State, but through the entire system. I respect them for that, and as I've said after those couple of bad incidents that followed, I hope the program moves along because like most schools and football teams, the vast majority of coaches/teachers/administrators/athletes involved, are doing the right thing. You are always going to have a potential, particularly in today's society (like South Lee last spring), to have athletes/coaches do stupid things that reflect horribly on the program. If you went through every school district's history, I'm guessing a vast majority had a school(s) that had a similar situation to that coach at Manatee (Band leaders, teachers, coaches, administrators, etc) over the past 50 years. You know, Richard Nixon went down for trying to support his people - it happens.

I also understand defending your program as a homer. One thing gatorman has always been is straight forward - I think that's what he meant by the "good, bad and ugly" remark. He has a track record of that.

Last edited:
I also understand defending your program as a homer. One thing gatorman has always been is straight forward - I think that's what he meant by the "good, bad and ugly" remark. He has a track record of that.[/QUOTE]

When the crap hit the fan with Joe, I was the one that had TWC249 telling me what a turn coat I was. For me without even knowing all the bitter details, Joe was the figure head bottom line and he as that figure head was ultimately the person responsible for having oversight responsibility for the wrong that was being pulled from the darkness and into the light of day. I believe back then I even made a comparison of the Atlanta District BME and that as its Manager which generates almost 1 billion dollars of revenue annually and the over 100 BMEU offices I am required to ensure stay SOX compliant. If something goes wrong, I know without a doubt who's ultimately responsible it is ME!

I don't go around throwing stuff in any ones face regarding the ugly that goes on in other schools around the state of Florida, I sure don't need someone trashing my school and its ugliness however, let alone someone who's own back yard has its own share of ugliness.

Go Canes Go!

Understood, the point I'm, making is it truly can happen almost anywhere - in this competitive forum, its easy to cross the line sometimes. Bottom line is, if you care about kids, its bad for them, the bad ones causing it, the good ones dealing with the aftermath.

... I sure don't need someone trashing my school and its ugliness however, let alone someone who's own back yard has its own share of ugliness.
Here's the problem, gatorman. You want to insist there's something wrong in my "backyard" and that makes you a complete idiot.. My backyard is not "Lee County, FL". Yes, I volunteered to help coach baseball after Estero HS opened, but neither is Estero HS my "backyard". I did nothing to compromise my integrity. Never have. Never will.

Were I a Manatee High grad, I would have lobbied the school system to give Manatee the Death Penalty in all sports that were impacted by impropriety.

I'm an Ohio State grad who intends to leave the University a sizable chunk of change. When the most recent problems surfaced (i..e. , the Jim Tressel ordeal), I sent the board of trustees notification that my endowment would be withdrawn if there were any further problems in the Athletic Department. They assured me as well as many others I know that things would be kept under control.

I don't place sports above integrity ... on your campus or mine. Never lose sight of that fact.

[QUOTE="Neutral 0bserver, "I sent the board of trustees notification that my endowment would be withdrawn if there were any further problems in the Athletic Department."

Bless your heart Neutral! That you were able to look past your beloved university's 2004 NCAA sanctions with the basketball program and then again with the with the football program several years later, and keep your promised endowment.......with conditions of course! We wont even talk about the whole Maurice Clarett situation in 2003 and the whole academic fraud thing that went on with this fine institution you've promised this conditional endowment to.......What a truly compassionate person you are to look past so much consistent institutional fraud and abuse, and still keep that conditional promised endowment intact......You sir are a true picture of compassion and understanding!

One more thing that you may or may not be aware of.............Manatee and THE Ohio State University share the same fight song! ;)

Go Canes Go!

I

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan in Daytona
All I gotta say now is: Manatee was, but Braden River is now the best team in Manatee County. Don't know how long this lasts, but it is the new reality. To the extent this is due to Manatee's issues under coach Kinnan, I would say the program is paying a price for its transgressions.

Reactions: peezy28 and Wavebb
Bless your heart Neutral! That you were able to look past your beloved university's 2004 NCAA sanctions with the basketball program and then again with the with the football program several years later, and keep your promised endowment.......with conditions of course! We wont even talk about the whole Maurice Clarett situation in 2003 and the whole academic fraud thing that went on with this fine institution you've promised this conditional endowment to.......What a truly compassionate person you are to look past so much consistent institutional fraud and abuse, and still keep that conditional promised endowment intact.
That paragraph, my friend, proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that you know absolutely nothing about me.

I've never overlooked any of the wrongdoing on our campus. This includes concern not only over ALL of the problems you just enumerated regarding the Athletic Department, but much more serious issues such as a string of violent rapes several years ago wherein OSU coeds were attacked on our campus while trying to walk back to their dorms after dark.

You also apparently have short term memory problems. Maybe you want to skip discussion of Maurice Clarret, but I haven't. I've posted extensively on this forum about problems related to people such as Clarett, Terrelle Prior, Duron Carter and Jim Tressel et al. Perhaps you've forgotten about my criticism that it is ridiculous for OSU and other major Universities to masquerade athletes who can't even put together a single sentence as "college students".

I support the University because it offered me the chance to receive a world-class education at bargain-basement pricing, which in turn enabled me to get out of a ghetto located a stone's throw from campus. I have never lent one red cent of support to the Athletic Department. 99% of the embarrassment caused to Ohio State University during my five decades of involvement has originated due to the fact that we field football and basketball teams. Have we had success? Yes, but it's come at a tremendous price to those of us who love the place and believe in the basic mission.

To wit: I met Tressel just one time. My single request? "Please conduct the program so that no further embarrassment is brought to our University."

You sir are a true picture of compassion and understanding!
Thanks for the compliment. There are going to be plenty of alums who will be able to provide more financial support than I, but my plan is to endow a permanent scholarship that will allow at least one kid every 4 years to go to school at OSU for free. The scholarship will be offered to a financially-disadvantaged student whose dream is to become a music teacher in the public school system ... a dream that might not be fulfilled without a helping hand. Nu'Trelle - who has a hard time playing the radio - has always believed that teaching youth to play music is something that keeps kids of all backgrounds off the streets, plus provides a number of other benefits that last for a lifetime.

Refresh my memory on Terrelle Pryor.... what did he do that was so bad other than sell his Bowl game and Big 10 Paraphernalia for Tattoos.... I apologize if I missed some big grievance of his that has his name mentioned in the like with Maurice Clarett (reformed now as it would seem) but TP is a boyscout compared to most if that's all he did. Again my bad if I missed something.

Refresh my memory on Terrelle Pryor.... what did he do that was so bad other than sell his Bowl game and Big 10 Paraphernalia for Tattoos.... I apologize if I missed some big grievance of his that has his name mentioned in the like with Maurice Clarett (reformed now as it would seem) but TP is a boyscout compared to most if that's all he did. Again my bad if I missed something.
Pryor was also found to routinely drive a high-end SUV that was purported to be on a "test drive". He also was reportedly given thousands of dollars of OSU equipment that he sold for cash. Tressel lied to the AD plus the Big Ten primarily to cover Pryor's tracks

He was not a choir boy. He was more or less a kid who chose OSU due to the offer made to " under the table" by Tressel, but the NCAA stopped short of proving such.

Definitely not a choir boy but his transgression are meager IMO... I say this because I am one of the ones who think College players should be some way compensated... No not just write them a big arse pro league check but given something that would keep kids from selling bowl game and championship rings for cash... If I had a Big 10 title ring I would never want to sell it but if I get strapped for cash who knows.

Not condoning his behavior as it is against NCAA by laws but I mean the kid wasn't smoking weed (that we know) driving drunk, hitting women murdering people (Aaron Hernandez) or running an illegal gambling ring. I think Tres takes the blunt of the blame for his issues.

Reactions: Dan in Daytona
Not condoning his behavior as it is against NCAA by laws but I mean the kid wasn't smoking weed (that we know) driving drunk, hitting women murdering people (Aaron Hernandez) or running an illegal gambling ring. I think Tres takes the blunt of the blame for his issues.
Truthfully peezy, I do not know the full extent of Pryor transgressions or how much Tressel did during his tenure to entice players to sign. All I know is that things did not "add up".

Neither Pryor nor his family had the financial resources to afford anything close to the type of vehicle he was loaned to "test drive". Translation: He was essentially provided a free high-end car to drive and that is definitely against NCAA rules. Same type of thing happened with Clarett. Were ALL players given free cars. No. Was Jim Tressel involved in making the arrangements? What kind of an idiot would say "Probably not"?

As for your comment regarding compensation, many of us believe pro football should have a minor league system. Then any high school star who who thinks a free 4 year education at a major university is a lousy deal would not be forced to waste his time attending classes and working for free. IMHO that makes the kid a complete fool, but there's no law on the books that says an individual can't go through life being just that.

They say you can't play competitive major college football without signing players of Pryor and Clarett's caliber. As an OSU grad, I would rather see the University drop football altogether. Then we wouldn't need to have these type of people walking around our campus. Our mission to provide higher education. If a kid's sole interest is making it to the NFL and he has no real interest in earning an undergraduate degree, he does not belong on the campus of Ohio State University.

Let someone else deal with him and the associated baggage.

Booth can probably turn things around. Like other big league HS programs, they need more transfers. More out of state players would probably be a plus. They should be shooting for 35-40 transfers per year. 10-12 locals is not nearly enough. It's not too early to think about 2017.

What??!?!?! Transfers, come on!

Isn't this the same issue everyone has had with IMG, STA, and etc?????

Let's just be honest here.

Booth doesn't have what it takes to coach at a "Big Time" FLHS program.

CJK didn't have to worry about how many transfer kids were coming into the county/district.

Hell look at what is going on out at BR!

Never would I have imagined that BR would be winning like they have each year.

If Manatee keeps Booth around, he better can that guy who calls himself a DC.

With that defense, they will never play for another state title again.

No reason to be one and done with the talent we have in this area.

PERIOD.

I've been hearing that the RB for Manatee, Josh Booker (transferred from Sarasota High), is transferring to Venice next year.

I've been hearing that the RB for Manatee, Josh Booker (transferred from Sarasota High), is transferring to Venice next year.

I've heard the same and actually don't blame the kid.

Do what's best for you at this point and if Venice works, good for him.

The offense Manatee runs isn't ideal for Booker's running style, but I'll be honest with you. When Manatee tried running him between the tackles, he almost never had running lanes and he seemed to lack the type of vision to anticipate things in front of him as well. Fordham was much better at that, but lacks the kind of size you need to have to expect him to do a lot of that......from a physicality standpoint.

Go Canes Go!

High school football 2016: Round and round and round they go. Where they'll stop, nobody knows.

Beats the old days, doesn't it?

Neutral it is what it is, I dont like and everyone knows you dont either.............maybe you can give someone the "I'll pull my endowment speech", it work so well at THE Ohio State..............

Go Canes Go!

Au contrare, mon ami. Nu'Trelle is totally in favor of HS kids being able to transfer to play sports. In fack, to borrow a phrase from Chicago (the band)), he would predick that what you're seeing now is Only the Beginning. In the very near future, Nu'Trelle convinced that a kid will be able to transfer during the middle of the season.

Then in a few more years - when the people who run the game REALLY get things right - they'll undoubtedly make it legal for a kid to transfer in the middle of a game.

Reporter:
"Rae'Dontavious, great, great win! What made the difference?"

Rae'Dontavious: "The diffrence was defney when #11, #3, #28 an #75 got pi$$ed at half-time an decided to come over to our locker room and play for us. All we hopin for is dat dey don't transfer out. We needs them for the play-offs, but you never knows. Like gatorman001 alway say, 'It is what it is', nomsayin?"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT