ADVERTISEMENT

Herald Article on Aquinas

I agree. Different animal. It started when they lost 3 in a row to Lakeland. They slowly built themsekf into a national power. Harriott took it up a notch with George's blessing. Totally tilted the field. After they running clock Plant it will be evident. The Aquinas team that beat Plant in 2010 had some excellent players like Rashad Green but this team is far more stacked.
The teams that lost to lakeland had tons of NFL players on it. Lakeland was just nasty. Two NFL stud lineman and Chris Rainey= Awesome (not to mention other stud players on that team).

There's teams in South FLA with a lot less than 40 BCS kids that would beat that Venice team.

It's a different brand of football down there. STA loses to South FLA publics because those kids aren't scared of STA. They get in their face and they punch them back. They also have the speed to match up.

My issue with STA is, they're taking in a lot of upper-class transfers. Kids that have been developed by other coaches. They're taking these kids in and stockpiling them on the bench. It's not fair that my buddy at a local public school lost his best offensive player to STA, only so the kid can go there and catch 11 balls. His team went 8-2 this year with 2 very close losses. The kid that transferred to STA has offers from Miami, UF, Bama, etc...and could've been the difference in those close losses. They likely go 9-1 or 10-0 for the first time in school history if that kid stays. (he caught 88 balls for 1200 yards last year)

The days of parents taking their kids to STA because the school "recruits itself" are long gone. This current STA staff will go out and get your kids. They'll call your kid's cell phone while he's playing for you, call the kid's parents, get in the daddy's ear, etc etc etc. Harriott is known for that. That's where the animosity comes from. If a parent wants to take their kid there, I have no issue with that. The problem is when STA coaches persistently pursue kids. Now you're taking away public schools chances to compete and possibly build something special.

Reactions: Fla2014
There's teams in South FLA with a lot less than 40 BCS kids that would beat that Venice team.

It's a different brand of football down there. STA loses to South FLA publics because those kids aren't scared of STA. They get in their face and they punch them back. They also have the speed to match up.

My issue with STA is, they're taking in a lot of upper-class transfers. Kids that have been developed by other coaches. They're taking these kids in and stockpiling them on the bench. It's not fair that my buddy at a local public school lost his best offensive player to STA, only so the kid can go there and catch 11 balls. His team went 8-2 this year with 2 very close losses. The kid that transferred to STA has offers from Miami, UF, Bama, etc...and could've been the difference in those close losses. They likely go 9-1 or 10-0 for the first time in school history if that kid stays. (he caught 88 balls for 1200 yards last year)

The days of parents taking their kids to STA because the school "recruits itself" are long gone. This current STA staff will go out and get your kids. They'll call your kid's cell phone while he's playing for you, call the kid's parents, get in the daddy's ear, etc etc etc. Harriott is known for that. That's where the animosity comes from. If a parent wants to take their kid there, I have no issue with that. The problem is when STA coaches persistently pursue kids. Now you're taking away public schools chances to compete and possibly build something special.

Exactly. Which is why Aquinas and all other private schools need to compete in their own class. Or, better yet, put Aquinas in a class like IMG where it can't compete for state titles and just plays a national schedule.

Is it the same brand football ELY played with in 2000 when Venice beat them, or is it the same brand football when Venice beat a nationally ranked Deerfield beach team? Come on man don't say silly stuff. Is it the same brand football where the runner up in Venice district beat number 1 in the nation Aquinas???

YES FOOL!!!! its not just D1. it is 40 kids to Power 5 conference teams. I do not thin they are counting the Akron's.

It's matchups. Even against teams with less than 20 FBS players....How do you think Venice would move the ball on Southridge this year? Flanagan 2015?

They would struggle to even score 10 pts...

Even against teams with less than 10 FBS players like Miramar and Western this year Venice would have trouble moving the ball.

Also you still have not explained to us why BTW was able to beat STA but Venice looked like a JV team to them. Can you explain why public schools in SFL can beat STA but Venice can't cross the 50 yard line?

We can keep this going as long as you please. Very few people are chiming in to your/Venice's defense in this debate because the truth has been exposed...Your just not getting it. Here is a refresher to the 2016 Venice Bullies:

Regular season:

Camden County (GA) 2-7
Manatee 7-4
North Port 1-9
Coral Reef 3-7
Sarasota 5-5
Braden River 9-2
Lakewood Ranch 2-7
Palmetto 6-4
Booker 4-6

COMBINED REGULAR SEASON 37-51 ???

That is not going to prepare you for even 1st or 2nd round SFL football. Sorry.

Also, you are not convincing anyone that the 2016 Venice team is close to as good as the 2000 team. That team played a much better regular season and had a lot harder road in the playoffs while going undefeated. There is no team like 2016 STA on that schedule but top to bottom the 2000 undefeated was way more impressive. Not even close.

Last edited:
Is it the same brand football ELY played with in 2000 when Venice beat them, or is it the same brand football when Venice beat a nationally ranked Deerfield beach team? Come on man don't say silly stuff. Is it the same brand football where the runner up in Venice district beat number 1 in the nation Aquinas???

Sh!t happens. Even the sun shines on a dog's a$$ some days. Generally speaking though...

You're not gonna win a lot of games in South FLA if you can't (a) throw the ball and (b) tackle in space.

Do you think that the 40 BCS kids are the sole reason STA beat Venice? I mean, that might've been the reason the score was 43-8 at halftime, but there's several South FLA teams with less talent that would've issued Venice the same fate.

Reactions: Zoe Boy
Sh!t happens. Even the sun shines on a dog's a$$ some days. Generally speaking though...

You're not gonna win a lot of games in South FLA if you can't (a) throw the ball and (b) tackle in space.

Do you think that the 40 BCS kids are the sole reason STA beat Venice? I mean, that might've been the reason the score was 43-8 at halftime, but there's several South FLA teams with less talent that would've issued Venice the same fate.
He still doesn't get cause that was the best Venice team ever...

We can keep claiming other teams would of beat Venice all day. The fact is they did not Venice won all their games big. Braden River would beat STA this year because they throw the ball well and tackle in space. I think Braden River beats STA by 10 this year Colisimo was a good QB. I think Sarasota would also beat STA this year if the game was early in the year when. Gagg was hot!!!

So your admitting STA isn't unbeatable just Venice didnt have the horses or scheme to do it????

We can keep claiming other teams would of beat Venice all day. The fact is they did not Venice won all their games big. Braden River would beat STA this year because they throw the ball well and tackle in space. I think Braden River beats STA by 10 this year Colisimo was a good QB. I think Sarasota would also beat STA this year if the game was early in the year when. Gagg was hot!!!
No get it right.. We're saying other teams in s fla not mam coral Reef would smash Venice .. Get it right..

Zoe stop. The guy's brain is a brick. He'll never understand the retirement community of Venice, in most years, won't be able to compete athletically against the big boys of Dade and Broward. They don't have the horses..... move on my man

Wow.....................you lost all creditability on this post. Braden River was able to compete last year with STA, but even that game with the outstanding defense Braden River had, not once was Braden River able to put pressure on the STA QB...........he had all day to find or wait for guys to come open. This year Braden River didn't have a defense to match its offense, and would have been obliterated by STA.............Then the whole Sarasota comment, made me almost lose my drink all over the computer screen.

I thought Venice had a chance to compete with STA, what really turned me off however was the after game comments by Peacock...............to me he went into the game with a mindset of "The deck is stacked against me", and I believe it filtered down to his players and then parents and fans........ Says much to me about the man's approach to a real challenge.

As long as STA is classified in 7A, just understand a state championship will almost certainly mean having to go through STA. (I should clarify if you're a Venice HS fan)

Go Canes Go!

Braden River would lose to STA but it would've been a better match-up than the Venice game. Braden River could beat Venice if they had a clue what they were doing on defense. I was at the last Venice/BR game. They ran Cover-0 all game and blitz their Inside Linebackers through the A-gaps. Venice just kept gashing them on the perimeter.

When Braden River finally woke up on offense and started throwing/running the ball towards the perimeter of Venice's defense they started scoring at will. Venice lacks speed and can't tackle on the perimeter, which is exactly why they'd lose to a lot of South FLA teams.

CoachMacho Braden River would kind of have to score at will against Venice since they gave up 106 points to them in two games. Looks like you have a connection to Southeast, do you coach and share that expert knowledge and insight with that program? If not you really should.

CoachMacho Braden River would kind of have to score at will against Venice since they gave up 106 points to them in two games. Looks like you have a connection to Southeast, do you coach and share that expert knowledge and insight with that program? If not you really should.

Well you see what I said about Braden River not having a great strategy on defense, right? That kinda contributes to the fact that they have to out-score Venice in a shootout.

They had that chance twice. I think the right team from that District advanced, the rest is all just speculative and that's easy to do from a safe distance.

They had that chance twice. I think the right team from that District advanced, the rest is all just speculative and that's easy to do from a safe distance.

It's not speculating from a close distance when I was up close and saw it in person. I'm telling you exactly why they struggled/lossed to Venice.

You're right about the better team advancing though, since coaching plays a part in being a better "team" IMO. Braden River's definitely well-coached but IMO they had a poor game plan against Venice.

The longer the fake Saint Thomas apologist ignore the situation, the worse it will get. St. Thomas should not be competing with public schools for championships when they can load their roster with 50 or 60 college players. That's just not realistic. There is no team in the country they can do that outside of Bishop Gorman, IMG, STA, and maybe one or two others. They need to be legislated out of the fhsaa for football. They should play in an open division or in a private school division. The public schools are served by the FHSAA, the privates are not needed. The private schools can form their own leagues to operate in their own best interest. But it will never be in the best interest of public schools to compete with private Sports factories for championships.

And private schools like the FHSAA because all their structure is taken care of on the taxpayer's dollar.

Some of it has to do with recruiting. They want to get players from the S. Fla. public schools over to them. One way is to beat those schools down and then cherry pick the studs off of those teams. They also do this to private schools. Jake Allen transferred to STA after a successful sophomore year at Cardinal Gibbons.

Last edited:
No surprise a Venice and a Plant fan are upset....

Just sayin lol

More delusion from an STA apologist. I'm not upset because I didn't "expect" Plant to beat STA. And after watching Carol City, who was thoroughly unimpressive, I'm confident Plant can play with and beat a team like that. Not every time, but they would be good games. Much like Plant and BTW or Miramar back in the day. And if you don't think Aquinas would put a running clock on Carol City (who lost to Oxturd) or any other public school in this state, you've lost it. Aquinas running clocked Heritage the last time they met up too.

And I would have not problem with Plant getting beaten down by a team like Carol City (don't think it would happen). But I do think the field is very tilted when they have to compete with IMG S. Fla. for titles.

JD... I'm trolling to get you riled up early in the morning . ... It worked.

But after watching all 8 games I honestly dont think STA beats all or beats all with running Clock .

Both 8a teams both 6A teams make it a game. Trinity makes it a game. Heritage makes it a game if they are playing at maximum potential.

Also I think Plant meets the same fate against atleast 4 of those teams.

You said CC was unimpressive because what they didnt score alot? That defense was VERY impressive but i forgot most folks just want the shiny objects (ie scoring points ) and ignore great defensive battles

Peezy28, please give the board a valid reason why public schools should have to compete with STA or IMG for anything? I'm waiting for a legit answer. Not, well, once in a blue moon some public school team upsets them. Because I can promise you those days are over. Forever. As long as the STA admin allows wholesale transfers. What kind of private school hands out diplomas to kids that transfer their last year? Jesuit doesn't do it. STA has lost its integrity for the sake of trying to validate its dominance in sports. If I was an STA alumn I would be pissed that the school is tarnishing its academic reputation. But private schools are about making $ first and foremost, so the more exposure STA gets through its sports program, the more $ it makes.

Oh honestly Plant didnt get blown out because of 40 d1 players... they made tons of boneheaded plays and busted coverages.

I'm sure They are looking at the film thinking the same thing.

JD... I'm trolling to get you riled up early in the morning . ... It worked.

But after watching all 8 games I honestly dont think STA beats all or beats all with running Clock .

Both 8a teams both 6A teams make it a game. Trinity makes it a game. Heritage makes it a game if they are playing at maximum potential.

Also I think Plant meets the same fate against atleast 4 of those teams.

Wow. That is laughable. I think Plant competes with every final 4 team in any class and puts up a good game or wins. Tell me which other 4 schools running clock Plant? I;m sure Yoda and Tone and boys are waiting to hear this one.

Okay well because we are thr state of Florida and thats not how we do it.

Your one of thr bigger opponents of everyone gets a trophy and pussification of America yet you want to create more classes to hand out more trophies.

Also lets take this bet. You believe STA will never lose a game again?

Okay well how about an annual wager every year they go undefeated from here on out I'm taking you to Berns or where ever and vice versa if they lose.

Reactions: Zoe Boy
Well my friends Yoda and Tone need worry about their DBs getting wacked in coverage.

We too cool to not keep it real with each other. DBs had many many blown coverages which was a common theme throughout the playoffs. They were just able to over come them against lesser teams.

Plant definitely competes with most teams that were state finalist on any given day. The coaching acumen is 2nd to none but IMO that was more than just STA being good. Plant played BAADDD. They would have lost to Lakeland, Armwood and maybe even Lee with that effort. So to that point both 8A and 6A teams would have beat them (not running clock again me trolling) and maybe Heritage and Trinity and shoot with the pass defense playing that bad you have to give PV a shot too.

It was bad. My opinion is Coach W is less worried about STA and more what they could have done better because they most certainly did not play the best Plant football.

I agree with almost everything you said. Plant did not play well. They played very poorand made very uncharacteristic penalties. Now a lot of it has to do with the STA dominance which they exert in almost every game. Again we're not talking about a one game result or a one-game situation. We are talking about the overall status of football in Florida. And clearly we all care enough about it because we've been posting on here for over a decade. All I'm saying is that it reaches a point where the inherent advantages in a school like st. Thomas will never again result in them losing to a public schools in the playoffs.

Plant's best game would not have beat STA. They could have gave a better performance but the championship was STA's to lose.

Reactions: 181pl
Plant's best game would not have beat STA. They could have gave a better performance but the championship was STA's to lose.

That's exactly what I was saying. They played a bad game AND played a very very good team.

No, they played a team out of their class. I'm sure the 1A champ doesn't want to play the 8A champ. It's the same type of thing. Different level.

More delusion from an STA apologist. I'm not upset because I didn't "expect" Plant to beat STA. And after watching Carol City, who was thoroughly unimpressive, I'm confident Plant can play with and beat a team like that. Not every time, but they would be good games. Much like Plant and BTW or Miramar back in the day. And if you don't think Aquinas would put a running clock on Carol City (who lost to Oxturd) or any other public school in this state, you've lost it. Aquinas running clocked Heritage the last time they met up too.

And I would have not problem with Plant getting beaten down by a team like Carol City (don't think it would happen). But I do think the field is very tilted when they have to compete with IMG S. Fla. for titles.
Sooo Carol City competed with IMG and loss by 10 you think their crying about it.. They would want another shot at IMG and STA is not running no clock on Carol City... Put Plant in 6a down here their not making the playoffs... Carol city played a great defense of match up with Lake Gibson... LG came to play but it's a reason Carol City still won... Just like BTW got up to play STA... Keep crabbing about STA and how unstoppable they are, but that was the same team they had last year that lost to Deerfield and this year lost to BTW... You won't have to worry about STA playing a dade school.... Can't wait till they lose a game down here again . I would love to here the excuse making you will be making....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT