ADVERTISEMENT

Herald Article on Aquinas

I totally respect sta, but lets be serious. Nobody in the world likes Aquinas except their students, alumni, and parents.

So STA has played 100s of games historically versus Broward and Dade teams and no antics the recent games versus Dwyer and Venice (fans) showing their emotions like idiots.

Why didn't Mater Academy behave like the Dwyer players and why didn't the Mater Academy parents/fans act like this Venice apparent who appeared to be under the influence of something as well?
Mater Academy has been STA's whipping child for a lot longer and more games than Venice.

Down here we get mad at refs, not teams that beat the snot out of us on the field.

Time to thicken your skin, take you lumps lick your wounds and try to improve....

Last edited:
Reactions: Zoe Boy
You are 100% right. If her son's team won she could care less about STA and her opinion of STA "exploiting black men". Probably just a sore loser and had one too many drinks that night.

Pretty sure everybody hates sta. Except for their students, alumni, and parents. It's just part of the deal. But when you choose to play with a stacked deck against teams that aren't and then pretend that everything is all even up and it's just sour grapes it just causes more animosity. Someone had said earlier that STA is the Alabama of 7a. Not even close. Teams playing Alabama are all on an even playing field in regards to the ability to recruit etcetera. Sta is Alabama playing against a bunch of division 2 teams not the SEC.

I wonder why the esteemed Neutral Observer has not commented on this school, and their stacked deck. He goes on and on about public schools, and even bashed Mainland, who has to compete against big city Miami schools, but has nothing to say about STA.

Reactions: peezy28
This is why people look to the state legislature to police and oversee the FHSAA. Everybody seems to have issues with the FHSAA, and the way that this body handles things from time to time, but then nobody seemingly wants anything done about it. Why aren't private schools competing against private schools, and public schools competing against public schools for state titles?

This is why people look to the state legislature to police and oversee the FHSAA. Everybody seems to have issues with the FHSAA, and the way that this body handles things from time to time, but then nobody seemingly wants anything done about it. Why aren't private schools competing against private schools, and public schools competing against public schools for state titles?
How many FL private schools have beat STA lately?

I don't care how many private schools have beaten STA. As long as public schools don't have to put up with this farce anymore, but we all know that nothing will be done.

Also, I see that Neutral Observer said something about STA in another thread. Him and I agree on that point.

I would love to see Carol City against STA, just like last year STA against Jacksonville Trinity Christian would have been a great game. I have a strong feeling what kind of games that we will get instead.

Also, I see that Neutral Observer said something about STA in another thread. Him and I agree on that point.

Well...suit yourselves. Here in Broward and Dade the publics love playing STA! It hasn't worked out so bad overall in the long run , has it?

I totally respect sta, but lets be serious. Nobody in the world likes Aquinas except their students, alumni, and parents.
Maybe everybody north of broward county.. Here in dade we're upset that STA don't play more dade schools.. Go to 71st on 11ave and go ask them Bulls would they have love to play STA or 183st in 34th Ave and ask if them Chiefs would they want to play against big bad STA or them boys on 95st they would have something to say.. Mater wasn't scared to play them ... Now if we do separate the classes private and public you guys gonna start complaining about south fla and how they need their own playoffs....

What Broward public school in the same class as Aquinas has advanced through Aquinas in 20 years? None.

What Broward public school in the same class as Aquinas has advanced through Aquinas in 20 years? None.

7A has been down statewide the last few years....It is not STA's fault. Do you think STA is raiding players from Cooper City or Hollywoood Hills or something?

Venice would of scored 50 on Mater the first half. But, they are private and recruit as well.

Wrong again and again...Mater is not private and they do not recruit. Have you ever researched the teams busted for recruiting historically? Tell me the privates that come up and then tell me the publics that come up for football. Hell , tell me the publics that come up for recruiting cross country runners.

Venice did nothing better than Mater Academy versus STA. In fact Mater at least kept the game respectable for a half rather than being down 0-21 after the 1st quarter. Ask anybody who watched both games. Mater is simply more talented than Venice - sorry for the headline.

Peacock recruits the Sarasota county area lets be real here, as there were several members of the Venice football team this year that played at other Sarasota County High Schools prior to coming to Venice. Yeah the woman from Venice actions showed her as a bit a sore loser more than anything else.........her sentiments however were simply echoing what Peacock was already saying to the media immediately after the game. So I would say its probably a pretty safe assumption to say, that there was talk among the Venice coaching staff during the week leading up to the game that trickled through players and/or parents.

When you play STA you know before the game starts what awaits, its like playing a computer game at its most difficult level. More times than not the game is going to beat you convincingly, but every now and then you do find a way to pull one out despite the stacked deck. Manatee's played STA fewer than 10 times, taken them to OT and beat them once.........every other contest however STA left no doubt on who the better team was. I was fortunate enough to be at that one game Manatee won, and I have to admit it was emotionally like winning a state championship!

I was talking to my manager a week or two about some challenges that the Postal Service faces in general in the future. I spoke specifically about a number of things, but when I concluded my remarks I closed by simply saying this..............When you promoted me I told you then I'm a very competitive person..........tell me most don't want any part of a particular job or project and I'll tell you without hesitation give it to me.........I'll embrace the challenge!

That to me is the only way to approach a situation like what exist at STA.........

Go Canes Go!

That's not canes from a long shot..

OK. Here's something I don't want people to forget when we all debate this issue. Going into the 2nd season after the Tarpons beat them in 2002, Charlotte High was destroyed by Hurricane Charley. St. Thomas Aquinas, without any fanfare, quietly sent the Tarpon football program the gate of their first home football game to help us get back on our feet. Never made it public, just did it - that was pretty classy.

You guys are missing the point again. STA is not the same STA. Before you had a team with a couple of studs sprinkled in with good football players. Now it is only BCS studs on the team. Please try to follow that. Silver you could take the best players Charlotte has had in the past 20 years and you would get spanked by this STA team. They are classless and really kind of embarrassing to be a representation of our state. Silver did they have 8 SEC defensive linemen in 2002? No they did not, they did not have 8 SEC players on the team. In the past STA was coached wells and was very disciplined, now they are completely opposite of that. The last 2 games they have had 12 personal fouls and a player ejected. That came on the heels of a all out brawl.
Gator man. Get your facts together. Manatee did not win a game against STA in overtime. They beat them in 2009 as a runner up at home 28-20 there was no overtime. But again not the same type of team they have now. What are you guys trying to say? Are you trying to say STA doesn't recruit? I'm sure these players wake up one morning and say momma I want a good catholic education let's see is STA will let me go to school for free. Is that what is happening.
Hey momma let's move to Fort Lauderdale I heard there is a Catholic high school there that has a good education, is that what is happening.

That is awesome Silver about them helping!!! Just don't think they have same leadership or goals in place anymore. They do have the same AD but he looks to be in very bad shape.

7A has been down statewide the last few years....It is not STA's fault. Do you think STA is raiding players from Cooper City or Hollywoood Hills or something?

7A has indeed been down in my opinion as well. Would be interesting to see STA in 6a in one of the Miami Districts.

Reactions: MustangMom
I agree. Different animal. It started when they lost 3 in a row to Lakeland. They slowly built themsekf into a national power. Harriott took it up a notch with George's blessing. Totally tilted the field. After they running clock Plant it will be evident. The Aquinas team that beat Plant in 2010 had some excellent players like Rashad Green but this team is far more stacked.

Peacock recruits the Sarasota county area lets be real here, as there were several members of the Venice football team this year that played at other Sarasota County High Schools prior to coming to Venice. Yeah the woman from Venice actions showed her as a bit a sore loser more than anything else.........her sentiments however were simply echoing what Peacock was already saying to the media immediately after the game. So I would say its probably a pretty safe assumption to say, that there was talk among the Venice coaching staff during the week leading up to the game that trickled through players and/or parents.

When you play STA you know before the game starts what awaits, its like playing a computer game at its most difficult level. More times than not the game is going to beat you convincingly, but every now and then you do find a way to pull one out despite the stacked deck. Manatee's played STA fewer than 10 times, taken them to OT and beat them once.........every other contest however STA left no doubt on who the better team was. I was fortunate enough to be at that one game Manatee won, and I have to admit it was emotionally like winning a state championship!

I was talking to my manager a week or two about some challenges that the Postal Service faces in general in the future. I spoke specifically about a number of things, but when I concluded my remarks I closed by simply saying this..............When you promoted me I told you then I'm a very competitive person..........tell me most don't want any part of a particular job or project and I'll tell you without hesitation give it to me.........I'll embrace the challenge!

That to me is the only way to approach a situation like what exist at STA.........

Go Canes Go!

Unfortunately Venice Clearly didnt have that attitude. I feel like despite anything else thry stepped off the bus down 14-0 mentally.

The 2 times Largo lost to STA in the state semifinals the kids were not intimidated at all neither were the coaches. Game one Largo had a 14-7 halftime lead but depth issues and cramping and just getting worn out led to a 35-14 victory (or something like that) for STA but the kids fought.

Next year Largo lost 28-14 to the team that desrroyed Lakeland and what was probably STAs closest game of the year with one of their best teams. Again stayed competitive and weren't intimated .

When your coaches have it in their head it flows to the players and then to the parents... Venice probably never stood a chance but even worse they were mentally defeated.

Maybe this is a different animal.. (they still lost to BTW) but still if your going to step off the bus Whoa is me thenjust forfeit .

Also what that women said to me is BS... I've never heard a black student parent player from STA ever echo those sentiments.... Its more of the opposite to be honest.

Reactions: BrowardHandicapper
Keepingitreal, I hear what you're saying and I was shocked by your list of talent, did not know that 40 D-1s, damn, I mean damn, that's mind boggling. This past classification is one of the few over the past 20 years we haven't been in with them. Unfortunately they've debated the Private school issue for years, and the closest they've come is open enrollment which will make, as Neutral's been saying for years, an elite class and everyone else. Pretty much when Govt gets involved like they did with that is holds the status quo which is much like the way it is.

Charlotte and Venice had great years, went as far as they could with what they had in the tank, happy for both programs. Bink made great observation in the paper, he said winning the Region in Florida is a pretty special thing when you think of the incredible high school football played in this state.

Reactions: peezy28
[QUOTE="Keepingitrealinsrq,
Gator man. Get your facts together.

"Keepingitrealinsrq, you need to get your facts together in the 2006 semi-final played at STA, Manatee lost to STA in double OT 36-29! So yes Manatee has played STA to 1 2OT loss and beaten STA at Hawkins stadium........other than those 2 games Manatee as lost convincingly each time they've played STA.

Just keeping it real......noimsayin?

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
Different STA animal. Florida has 2 tier 1 elite teams this year. That's it. IMG and STA. See any similarities?

181 you understand. Does IMG have 40 BCS kids? I don't think they have that many I think they have a bunch of BCS kids but not 2-3 deep like STA. They might have 1 deep that is better than STA starters but STA has 2-3 BCS guys at each position.

STA has a LB that has BAMA, LSU offers that just plays special teams and another SR. LB #52 that is committed to Kentucky that is strictly a special teamer. They have a -lineman committed to Miss. St. That is just mop up duty and extra point.

You guys keep talking about old STA teams and how they did against them. I get it in the past STA has lost some games and hasn't won a state championship every year, but those times are over. It has become so tilted. Trust me Venice wasn't defeated when they got off the bus. With you saying that, you obviously know very little about Venice and there program. From what I hear STA coaches almost took an ass whooping at half from the Venice coaches, so I doubt they were intimidated as well.

Largo wasn't playing the type team STA has now, this is what you are missing.

Nah you just didnt read my whole statement. i said its a different animal now but the fact remains Largo still wouldnt have bitched up before kickoff. They only had 4 d1 power 5 players on that team they would have lost to STA too but they wouldn't have been intimidated... Much like the Miami folks arent intimidated.

You guys keep talking about old STA teams and how they did against them. I get it in the past STA has lost some games and hasn't won a state championship every year, but those times are over. It has become so tilted. Trust me Venice wasn't defeated when they got off the bus. With you saying that, you obviously know very little about Venice and there program. From what I hear STA coaches almost took an ass whooping at half from the Venice coaches, so I doubt they were intimidated as well.

So how do you interpret his comments you dont think that was on his mind all week?

Also STA going to win state thats a given but they did lose to a public school this year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT