ADVERTISEMENT

Deland coach resigns!!!

That program has been in turmoil for years. What's that 6 or 7 different head coaches in a dozen years or so. First they chase off the athletes then the top guy soon follows. Wicked booster club over there. They want their sons and grandsons on the field. No pity for the 'dogs here. They reap what they sow.

Good coach, did very well at Gainesville. Overall DeLand's talent has been down the past few years.

Orange City University is the school of the moment right now in West Volusia, and will continue to be for the time being in my view. Also, Allen Johnson has done a good job turning around Deltona.

That program has been in turmoil for years. What's that 6 or 7 different head coaches in a dozen years or so. First they chase off the athletes then the top guy soon follows. Wicked booster club over there. They want their sons and grandsons on the field. No pity for the 'dogs here. They reap what they sow.
You are an idiot. You're a joke of a person. The booster club is never asked for anybody to play. You're just an old man That heard a rumor M is spreading it on this damn board. The bottom line is a great coach stepped down for the betterment of his kids. Nothing more nothing less. Each coach leaving was for different reasons. Old people hiding behind a keyboard typing lies doesn't make it true. The facts are each coach left Deland for different reasons. There's no bad thing that happened there's no alterior motives there's no conspiracy. Dan keep your mouth shut spreading lies because crap like that affects kids.

There at Deltona, Orange City, and Mainland, chased away..
Once again you're an idiot. The kids that are at Del Tona and orange city were recruited away and don't say they weren't because proof has been obtained. One coach lost his job because of it. And don't think all that evidence hasn't been gathered for reason. No kid has ever been chased away. Some kids just don't like hard work. So they go to soft programs with people that filled her head with lies.

Orange City University is the school of the moment right now in West Volusia, and will continue to be for the time being in my view. Also, Allen Johnson has done a good job turning around Deltona.
Once again clueless. BJ Johnson hasn't done crap In Deltona. With all the kids he's recruited he should be undefeated. Ask any college coach that has seen his practices or any good high school coach and he'll tell you the same thing. Ask about orange city University next year when the four kids from Deland aren't there and one other thing happen that I know will happen. But these are separate things. The bottom line is coach Thomson took down talent and made a Young team battle hard against the top ranked hardest schedule in high school.

For a small city of it's size, Deland is chock-full of athletes. If they all stayed in house this program would thrive.

Once again you're an idiot. The kids that are at Del Tona and orange city were recruited away and don't say they weren't because proof has been obtained. One coach lost his job because of it. And don't think all that evidence hasn't been gathered for reason. No kid has ever been chased away. Some kids just don't like hard work. So they go to soft programs with people that filled her head with lies.

If there is proof then why aren't y'all going to the FHSAA with it again.... I mean I know your mad and all but you just called a team in a state title run soft and your team is 2-5... I got no dog in this fight but I find that odd....

Deltona and University aren't in a state title run unless we are talking another sport

Please bring 6 Points back along with the gold helmets! Proud of what we accomplished in the mid to late 90's there. You're right, talent is abundant for a small town.

Bulldog1987, kids don't like being yelled and screamed and like to be inspired and taught, not threatened. Also, with the new school board members that have elected, University could very well get help with being able to play home games at their stadium, which will be a positive development. You always have a million excuses for the Bulldogs, and it rings hollow every time. Dan happens to be one of the nicest posters on this message board, and you should act like an adult, and treat him with respect when debating him instead of insulting him when he makes a point. I don't know who Allen Johnson has or hasn't recruited, but he has made Deltona competitive, and I think that is good for Volusia County.

Was at Stetson today guest lecturing on urban design and the ocean... I tell ya, the real winners today are the people of DeLand. Every time I come here it gets harder to leave. Must put something in the water.

If you know the movie quote, we are friends.

For real though, what a cool downtown. Shops on the street, local businesses, there is a nice 'community identity' there.

Now, I hate to speculate... But would think that Thomson's next job will be in the Orlando area. He's got ties to the area. My QB my sophomore year, John Thomson, is his brother. John played at Bucknell. Talk about a family of athletes.

DeLand will be back in time. They have had two very good runs as of late and it is a matter of time. DeLand has more volatile ups/downs than some other very good (well known) Florida programs.

If there is proof then why aren't y'all going to the FHSAA with it again.... I mean I know your mad and all but you just called a team in a state title run soft and your team is 2-5... I got no dog in this fight but I find that odd....
Because they can't do poopy caca doodie (Stupid, right? Thanks, Mustang Mom.) They wouldn't have done anything back before they were cuckolded (look it up, it's kind of offensive, too) by the Legislature.
Isn't Bulldog part of the program? I guess he has a right to call folks out when they are talking poopy caca doodie.
He should know better than all of you.

Not to take side, but Bulldog 1987 bleeds green and gold always has always will. He was a very crucial part of what made the program special at Deland. He will get offended when people get on here and tell things he deems not true. Every program needs a Bulldog1987. DeLand will get the ship righted and when they get things going it is a crazy fun place to be. When its not going good its crazy bad. I disagree about the kids not being able to take hard coaching. While i was there it couldn't get to hard. James Thomson is a great man, great coach and is part of the Fabric at DP, where i got to know him and his family. He will land on his feet and so will DeLand.

Kevin Pettis

Coach Pettis, I wish that you had never left Deland, the fact is that things have changed since you did leave, in my view, not for the better. There is a new Athletic Director, and while kids will take to hard coaching, they also don't like negativity and being screamed at. I understand that Bulldog1987 bleeds green and gold, but that does not give him the right to insult other on this message board like Dan in Daytona who bleeds blue and gold, but treats other posters with respect, even if he disagree with he/she. As a Volusia County resident, I want to see all teams in the county, including Deland, play well. However, changing coaches every 2-3years is usually not a recipe for success, and the Bulldogs best days were when you were the head coach there. Hopefully, Deland can get back to the heights and success that you instilled in them, and be a serious playoff contender again.

I understand that Bulldog1987 bleeds green and gold ... but Dan in Daytona who bleeds blue and gold ...
jambun82, just curious as to what would make you say these guys were bleeding. Was you there when they was bleeding? Was they bleeding at the same time and, if so, how could you tell which one was bleeding which? Furthermore, what or who caused the bleeding to start? Was the police involve? And, if so, where can readers get a copy of the incident report(s).

To the Moderator(s): Nu'Trelle glad the board "on a roll" an also have the utmost respeck for jambun82, but would hope messages involving bloodshed not be tolerated on here. Thank you

Deland High Head Coach

2014 - James Thomson (playoffs ?)
2013 (playoffs)
2012 - Al Manning (playoffs)
2011 - Ryan Smith (playoffs)
2010 - Kevin Pettis (playoffs)
2009 ( state runner-up)
2008 (playoffs)
2007 - Larry Candeto
2006 (playoffs)
2005 - Dean Faborizo
2003 - Bill Elder

I remember Pettis said he was heading back to family in the panhandle (Crestview or Choc????? Indian word). Deland has a very vibrant and appealing downtown. For a laid back family man it would seem to be ideal. Bulldog could tell us the company line on all the coaching changes, but ain't buying that "Homer" story.

Sharktale, welcome back to the board. I can't say that when you left Deland there was any sorrow. Mainland and Deland were in the same district at that time. Enjoy your retirement .....UP THERE!

Dan I miss my time in Deland and I LOVE Volusia County! I want to see all Volusia County Schools do well except for Deltona! LOL, just kidding. I am down in Indian River County at Sebastian River High School and having a great time. Just down the road i have other Volusia County boys at Treasure Coast we talk often and the conversation always turns to those great wars we had at Municipal Stadium and Spec Martin, fun times and GREAT PLAYERS! The thing about Volusia County, there is room for two great teams one on the East Side and one on the West side. When I was there we got lucky and were the team on the west side and Mainland was on the east, and it made for great Friday Nights. I equate it to College Football, in my opinion College football is better when Florida, FSU, and Miami are relevant in the National picture. I think football is better in Central Florida when Mainland and Deland are relevant. I know that Orange City is doing well but its not the same as DeLand doing well, the people of Deland love their football and are passionate about it which is a double edge sword.

By the way Dan my home town is Wewahitchka (Wewa)! Where God fishes! Home of the Dead Lakes, Tupelo Honey, and the Fighting Gators!

Reactions: riverrat1961
Fun Fact: Pipe Dreams is one of my all time favorite kids! Very successful young man now and i could not be more proud of any player!

Reactions: riverrat1961
Coach, so you know the two Buc cousins down at Treasure Coast. I want to school with their parents at Mainland, along with the parents of their other first cousin now coaching with the Buc's. Great family there, they all bleed the Blue and Gold. Surfed down at Sebastian Inlet many, many years ago, under the influence.... Best to you and family Coach.

Last edited:
So Jambun the kids marching up and begging for the coach is them not liking being coached up? The truth is...it is what it is. These kids will rally around my good friend Vern and the rest of the staff and do their best to win out and make the playoffs. We have had a spat of injuries this year and 4 untimely transfers that hurt us but we are who we are. I can tell you that coach James Thomson is one of the most technically sound coaches and has done miracles last year and this year considering injuries and a down year talent wise. We were down by 8 at halftime to the 15th ranked team in the country this year. Our schedule the last two years has been brutal. We offered $$ to Deltona and University to play us yet they refused. So we had to play Apk and Oxbridge. I will never apologize for being Bulldog1987. I have respect for Dan for being a Buc fan but took offense to him assuming those kids were run off. And Jambun, keep hiding behind a moniker. I don't. You know who I am. I

Reactions: Pipe Dreams
Bulldog1987, I do not know how you are. I assume that you are a coach, are you the coach that looks like Ted Turner's twin brother, are you the coach who is bald with a goatee, are you the coach who is tall with blond hair who yells and screams at officials the whole game even though head coaches are strongly encouraged to instruct their assistants not to talk to officials under any circumstances? Would you like to meet somewhere for lunch or something like that? I respect your contributions to this message board, I am glad that you are back, and I hope that you stay posting. Let me know what you think of this. Thank you.

Although the Bulldawg very prominent at Deland HS, Nu'Trelle don't believe he on the coachin staff. Know how when you go to Spec Martin Stadium, the Jumbotron installed backwards (i.e., only way you you can see it is if you out in the parkin lot)? Bulldawg was in charge of puttin it in. If they didn't run the fool off at that point, they probably ain't about to now, nomsayin?

Reactions: blackpopsicle
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT