ADVERTISEMENT

Charlotte 24-14 Sarasota

Silver King

Nov 29, 2002
Punta Gorda
Tarpons threw a couple of picks off receiver's hands and the Sailors capitilized on one going up 8-0 in the first. It was a hot, sticky game with lots of mistakes. Tarps went into half trailing 8-7. Came out in the 3rd and scored twice the 2nd after a Sailor turnover. Was a chippy game with lots of PFs. But good to get to play from behind to see how the team responded before Braden River comes to the Fish Bowl next week.

Reactions: gatorman001
Sliver,

You have any issues getting into the stadium last night to see the game? Making the trip to Plant City next week and while I understand each county may be working with a different set of rules with regards to stadium occupancy, just looking for some feedback? Wanting to see Mario Williams who plays for Plant City next week, as he is supposed to be one of the top WR in the country and has already committed to Oklahoma. Also Coach Booth is the HBC there, and want to get a look at how he runs his program there.......I see him as a potential Manatee coach possibly one day.

Go Canes Go!

Well I'm guessing there is going to be a long line, get there early - Charlotte travels as well or better than anyone in the state, we had a lot of folks show. The issues last night were lightening delays. So there was a very long gate line by the time they gave the all-clear.

But once the Sarasota folks opened the gate they had every window open and moved the crowd right through it; maybe ten minutes. Nice First Responders cermony pregame with a huge American fan and the Band playing. Saw some North Port Fire Fighters there, and one of our school resource officers who came to watch.

Really nice field and great band - chatted wth one of the band kids. He walked by me and stopped as I was taking a picture. I thanked him and he said, "Enjoy the game, sir!" I thanked him and told him their band was rocking, he loved that.

I also saw something interesting last night with two of their real talented players; played both sides of the ball at times. They were the pump-up guys and also were real chippy trying to intimidate out on the field and yakking after the play - nothing wrong with that, it was a big part of my game in HS and college. But at half, while the rest of the team was warming-up , those two walked to the fence and were chatting with fans. I've seen that more than you might think with HS players. Second half, I don't know if they were gassed - it was humid as heck, lots of cramping going on - but I don't think either of them played nearly as well as they did the first. Now they were in the lead at the time and that changed real quick after half. I see things on cringe-worthy things on our sidelines too, don't mean to sound like stuff doesn't happen most everywhere. But it makes me see how the game has passed me by. It's stuff that may seem harmless in the scope of today's athletes, but were absent in my day. And not that the teams I played on were perfect. Just an observation. I have a lot of respect for coaches that can keep a team in line. And thank God HS n College football are back.

Last edited:
Manatee's last playoff game against Venice last year, saw one of Manatee's players get ejected from the game. I had notice earlier in the game this player becoming frustrated with some things Venice was doing to him, and the coaches even took him out a few times to talk to him. So I wasn't surprised when the outcome of the game was pretty much decided, to see him allow his frustration finally get the best of him and the officials eject him. What pissed me off was what transpired after he was ejected, one of the coaches walked with him to the locker room.....as the rules required. However within 15 minutes of the ejection I see him back in his street clothes and in the stands yacking & laughing it up with his friends just having himself a grand ole time! My initial thought was......WTF is his ass doing out of the locker room and why is he having himself a grand old time in the stands now, while his team mates continue to be still playing a game? My feelings were back in my day, getting thrown out of a game no matter the circumstances was never cool.....and coach would have expected my ass to remain in the locker room until the game was over and coach released everyone to shower and go home or whatever at that point.

This player will be a senior this year and I feel has some talent.......but I noticed last year he has an attitude through out the year, where when challenge on the field of play he becomes easily frustrated. I see alot of things being able to be in the stands finally, that I dont believe would have been tolerated in the past that go beyond just coaching........the powers in charge seem to be happy however with the state of things, so what do I know?

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
Reactions: Silver King
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT