ADVERTISEMENT

Vernon

I heard that too. But then was told it might be his son that is getting a job. Who knows, I guess we'll see.

Bradford County is Starke, FL. Home of Ol' Sparky and speed traps.

Halfway between Jacksonville and Gainesville (south of Baker County, east of Union County).

Didn't Bradford just hire a new coach last year?!?! Corey Green (Danny Green's Son)

Originally posted by gatorman-uf:

Halfway between Jacksonville and Gainesville (south of Baker County, east of Union County).

Didn't Bradford just hire a new coach last year?!?! Corey Green (Danny Green's Son)
In other words. BFE

I thought Vernon was in BFE. Maybe folks don't chop off their appendages for insurance in Starke.

VERNON - Veteran high school football coach Bobby Johns announced his resignation as football coach and athletic director at Vernon High School in a letter forwarded to various media outlets on Thursday morning.

Johns coached the Yellow Jackets to an 11-2 record this season, losing to eventual state champion Port St. Joe in the Region 2-1A championship game. Vernon was 7-4 and made the playoffs in 2013, John's first year at the school.

"At this time I would like to announce that due to health and family considerations I am resigning at a date to be effective over the next month as the football coach and athletic director at Vernon High School," Johns wrote. "I will no longer be pursuing a head coaching position."

Johns did not rule out the possibility of resuming his career as a head coach.

"I also have the opportunity to continue working alongside my son as well as work with a former player for whom I have the utmost respect," Johns wrote.

"I will not elaborate on any of the details of the near future or rule out returning as a head coach someday, but at this time I believe there are great possibilities for my family and I moving forward."

Originally posted by gatorman-uf:

A Florida History Moment:

Starke is 11 Miles West of the US Army Joint Training Center; the famous Camp Blanding served as the US Army Infantry Replacement Training Center during WWII. I interviewed a guy who served with my uncle in the 509th Parachute Infantry Bn who was a foreign national until the called him and other foreign nationals, bused them into the District Court in Jacksonville, swore them in as American Citizens, and ran that right back to train. Also interviewed several guys who trained there from the 29th Infantry Division who went ashore on D-Day. It also was a Prisoner of War Camp for 9,000 German soldiers, there's still a cemetery there that still holds the remains of those who died in captivity.

Postcript: SK can confrim gatorman's commenst as he has gotten two speeding tickets there...

Silver King, were you a History major in college? I have always found it to be the most fascinating subject.

Bobby at Bradford, wow talk about the Baker County - Bradford game fireworks. Congrats, Big Red will get a little stronger fo sho.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT