ADVERTISEMENT

The Sarasota Riverview talent drain?

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
Riverview (1-3), is having a uncharacteristically bad year this season. much of it in my mind can be directly related to the amount of returning talent from last years 3rd round playoff team, playing somewhere else this season. The schedule this year is one that appears to illustrate a AD/Coach that felt the Riverview football team would be very competitive this year? Apparently that schedule was made before the talent drain had started, as the ony team Sarasota Riverview has beaten this season has lost games by 26. 42, and 47 points.

What prompted me to write about the talent drain at Riverview, is its most recent loss of talent to Sarasota Booker after the 2024 season started "DJ Johnson". Pre-season I had voted DJ as the best RB in the Sarasota/Manatee County area, primarily due to his ability to rub with authority between the tackles, as well as his ability to flash the kind of speed needed to break long runs. DJ ran for 1600 yards last season and for over 600 yards as a Soph all at Riverview, and now after the start of the 2024 season he transfered over to Sarasota Booker and will finish his HS football career there.

Im no expert of the transfer rules, but transfering mid season seems rather odd if not something requiring special circumstances for it to be considered and then subsequently allowed? In this case DJ apparently (Im guessing as a 17 year old), legally had custodial authority moved to his apparent biological father (who happens to live in the Booker school district)? So now DJ Johnson, a local talent has moved during a active season, to a team with a better chance of advancing come playoff time, who's coach that's already been the focus of a FHSAA investigation and then subsequently suspended for apparent tampering/recruiting violations. How long before transfers like this start happening mid game? Where there is a will, one is surely going to find a way!

What's going on at Sarasota Riverview that some its most talented kids are going else where to play this season and last? Last season saw Riverview's 5* DB transfer to Venice HS for his senior season, and this season has seen a Air Force commitment as well as its 6'5" 290lbs OT transfer over to Venice HS....maybe there were more, I havent looked all that far into it to be sure?

There's nothing nostalgic or wholesome about this era of HS football, operating under this format

Manatee just got a transfer from Riverview. #68 Nick Moncato 6'3 270 offensive lineman. He was going to come Manatee in the off season but went to Riverview. He started for Braden River last year........

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT