ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Practice

I know that. But, a local team has scrimmages scheduled with two different teams on different days. First of all, it takes away two days of practice. Second, will playing another team give that much benefit?

I know that. But, a local team has scrimmages scheduled with two different teams on different days. First of all, it takes away two days of practice. Second, will playing another team give that much benefit?
Hitting each other ( teammates ) gets old. Guys always want to hit someone new ( a game ).
Scrimmage- Fun
Practice- not so much :)

If you don't know who John Gagliardi is, Wave suggest a google search. The coach has the most wins in college football history. Wave know peoples gonna reack about the level he coached at. However, it's almost a trivia question you can win after any high school football game with the gang after the second beer...LOL.. WAVE OUT!

They probably are doing officials training. These are controlled scrimmages...usually each team runs 20 or so plays on offense then they switch up.

Officials do their training during spring scrimmages. Anytime that a school is interested in having officials attend a scrimmage, that school's athletic director or coach can call the Officials Association, and request officials. Most officials are more than happy to help teams out during scrimmages.

Good! I hope the training for the refs benefits all teams in the area.

Also, I hope no players get hurt. I know they can get hurt at anytime. But some kids think this is the time when they win a starting spot and play way too hard.

Last edited:
Officials do their training during spring scrimmages. Anytime that a school is interested in having officials attend a scrimmage, that school's athletic director or coach can call the Officials Association, and request officials..

I did not know you could schedule a scrimmage. I thought the only time you could conduct a scrimmage was during an officials training.

please elaborate

Good! I hope the training for the refs benefits all teams in the area.

Also, I hope no players get hurt. I know they can get hurt at anytime. But some kids thinks this is the time when they win a starting spot and play way too hard.
Choctaw, no one wants any young man to get hurt, but you can make a big impression in the spring and playing hard is how you do it. Sorry compassionate Mom, it's 100% or try another activity before you do get hurt 1/2 stepping.

How much conditioning is done before spring practice? At least they get months of conditioning in the summer before fall practice starts. They won't get injured because they are out of shape.

My son's team never played a scrimmage. The coaches would divide up all those who will be on varsity or JV the following year and they would scrimmage. It would instead be a way to assess who learned anything during the spring rather than letting half the players sit on the sideline during a scrimmage.

BTW, one year the losing team was fed baby food by the winners. My son said it was horrible. He used to love it!

Tampa1, when a school/team wants to schedule a scrimmage, which I believe is allowed to be one during spring practice, the Head Coach or Athletic Director calls their Officials Association, and lets them know when, where, and what time the scrimmage will be. Then they ask for officials to attend and it behooves officials to attend as many scrimmages as possible, and "get the rust off" so to speak. As well as for new officials to get some practice in. It is a great arrangement.

Also, keep in mind that scrimmages and spring games are two different events. A spring game is against another or multiple schools. A scrimmage is intra-squad.

Tampa1, the scrimmages that I am talking about are intra-squad scrimmages. I don't know how things are done in South Florida, but I am talking about Volusia and Flagler Counties.

Huntayo, I clicked on your link and found this:
"South Gulf Football Officials Association
Saturday: Fieldwork and Mechanics held at First Baptist, Barron Collier and Community School of Naples"

Barron Collier is having a scrimmage against NFM on the 14th Their Spring Game is against Ida Baker on the 20th.

So, is this scrimmage purely to help the refs? If it improves their ability to correctly call games, I'm all for it!

Barron Collier and North Fort Myers are both participating in the South Gulf Officials Association Referee field clinic. It is purely an officials training session.

I'm very glad they are doing that. It helps both the teams and the refs. I was surprised because I don't remember it happening in the panhandle.

Those clinics happen all the time all over the state. Officials Associations take turns hosting these clinics, and an official is required to take an FHSAA-sponsored clinic every four years to be eligible for the state playoffs.

You wouldn't know it! I have been saying for years that the closer you got to the western border of Florida, the worse the officiating. I actually preferred trips to Panama City or Tallahassee because you'd get fair officiating.

I don't know but I went to a lot of games for years after my son graduated and I saw this repeatedly.

I haven't lived there since Sep 2009. Hopefully, things have changed.

Bartow Billy, what problem do you have with the officials in Marion County? I have always known the Mid-Florida Officials Association from Ocala to be some of the most respected officials in the state.

Bartow Billy, what problem do you have with the officials in Marion County? I have always known the Mid-Florida Officials Association from Ocala to be some of the most respected officials in the state.

What problem do I have? They are bad officials. You can believe what you choose. So can I.

Every sport. Bad. Bad. Bad

Easy now Bartow Boy...

It appears as though the people just want to know why...

Did you have a chance to chat with Jacket Skipper about facilitating next week...

Skip thinks that next Wednesday may be doable. It'll be the first week since January he has no afternoon obligations all week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT