ADVERTISEMENT

Power of Football: Mizzou team didn't even miss a practice...

Silver King

Nov 29, 2002
Punta Gorda
Boycotting until the President stepped down. Maybe college football players will successfully unionize one day so they can at least get some long term health care coverage from injuries sustained representing their schools.

Boycotting until the President stepped down. Maybe college football players will successfully unionize one day so they can at least get some long term health care coverage from injuries sustained representing their schools.
Long term health coverage is the least colleges should offer. Football is a dangerous game, lots of college athletes sustain lasting physical and neurological injuries, most never play professional, and at the top level big money is made.

I played at the lowest level, in the NAIA. I'm the only guy on my O-line that hasn't had at least two college injury related operations on knees, hips, shoulder, necks or arms since. One is healing from probably his 6th operation on his back and neck. He wore a doughnut the entire four years we played next to each other. And don't get me started how many concussions this group had in the era where you led with your head because you couldn't use your hands. I had one the first series of a small college bowl game, knocked out for about 20 seconds my buddy told me. I then played the rest of the game - stupid shit. My neck, back, knees, knuckles are in awful shape, but original equipment still.

Don't let anything Silver King say throw you off. The man still a physical specimen. He in incredible shape for a man over 80.

One day Nu'Trelle got a e-mail from Jack Reacher who claim the only two people in the whole world he fear are SK and Drummer61. The.Hammer received a honorable mention, but that was about it. Wavebb was listed as "World's Most Dangerous Blackjack Player".

Jack say that Pipe Dream could someday receive mention as one of the "World Greatest Big Time Message Board Moderators" if he gave up 3-4 days of surfing per week and took his job more serious.

Peezy? Jack said they ain't no hope for Peezy and never have been.

Back to the subject. The Mizzou team had so much success because a large amount of money would be lost if they did not play. You would hope the football team had great power, but not really.

It's nice to see young people come together for a great cause like they did in the past. Younger generations are our only hope to stop prejudices. You just can't change the older ones!

Last edited:
The football team did yield incredible power in this situation, the University was not about to jeopardize a million bucks if their football team didn't show up. Other teams saw the outcome and there are a lot of University presidents and Boards of regents squirming in their seats today - threaten their money and you'll finally have a say, or maybe a piece of the pie (Jersey sales, long-term health benefits and maybe other social issues that need fixing) .

This was as monumental an event in sports as there has been. This reminds me of Rocky playing the Jimmy Hoffa like charter in the movie F.I.S.T. on how the teamsters were organized.

Last edited:
I played at the lowest level, in the NAIA. I'm the only guy on my O-line that hasn't had at least two college injury related operations on knees, hips, shoulder, necks or arms since. One is healing from probably his 6th operation on his back and neck. He wore a doughnut the entire four years we played next to each other. And don't get me started how many concussions this group had in the era where you led with your head because you couldn't use your hands. I had one the first series of a small college bowl game, knocked out for about 20 seconds my buddy told me. I then played the rest of the game - stupid shit. My neck, back, knees, knuckles are in awful shape, but original equipment still.[/Q
Weak President !!!!! Why complain now and not when you played??? Unionize?? What do most players do WITH the free "EDUCATION" they receive which is worth about $200,000 plus?? Beat up women, steal crab legs, don't know how to write a letter, can't speak correct English, dress like circus clowns,display outrageous behavior on and off the field and many never finish getting that "free education" or go broke.. Let's all be "takers" without any "makers" !!!! The President, with the boards approval, should have thrown them out and cancelled the season... Then, addressed the perceived problems.. The student list of "demands" was outrageous and without honest merit. The author may have been an anarchist...

Last edited:
Don't let anything Silver King say throw you off. The man still a physical specimen. He in incredible shape for a man over 80.

One day Nu'Trelle got a e-mail from Jack Reacher who claim the only two people in the whole world he fear are SK and Drummer61. The.Hammer received a honorable mention, but that was about it. Wavebb was listed as "World's Most Dangerous Blackjack Player".

Jack say that Pipe Dream could someday receive mention as one of the "World Greatest Big Time Message Board Moderators" if he gave up 3-4 days of surfing per week and took his job more serious.

Peezy? Jack said they ain't no hope for Peezy and never have been.

Peezy works in the shadows.

I don't know all the details but it goes both ways. If the president would have pulled their scholarships for refusing to play, those guys would have played in my opinion. I think they would have came to their senses really fast if they had to pay for their college. On the other hand, money talks, and losing money is something a University cannot have.

Cat's out of the bag, that ship's sailed. Drummerboy, that's a huge indictment on college football as a whole: Ever consider the vast majority of college football players do it right? You read about the knuckle heads because that's what's news. I don't know if or where you played, but I didn't have any of that crap go on where I played. I mean I could form an opinion about all Jersey posters based on you, but I'm a little smarter than that.

Last edited:
The.Hammer received a honorable mention, but that was about it.

dark-menace-17.jpg

Reactions: Silver King
I don't know all the details but it goes both ways. If the president would have pulled their scholarships for refusing to play, those guys would have played in my opinion. I think they would have came to their senses really fast if they had to pay for their college. On the other hand, money talks, and losing money is something a University cannot have.
valid PO
Cat's out of the bag, that ship's sailed. Drummerboy, that's a huge indictment on college football as a whole: Ever consider the vast majority of college football players do it right? You read about the knuckle heads because that's what's news. I don't know if or where you played, but I didn't have any of that crap go on where I played. I mean I could form an opinion about all Jersey posters based on you, but I'm a little smarter than that.
Silver, decent reply.... " huge indictment"... Good point as you may be correct, but stats on degrees and other points I mentioned are in my favor.. The big schools are replete with idiots like Winston and others.. Just listen to them when they talk.. A line MUST BE DRAWN SOON, if not, anything goes will lead to everything went.. Others here should come back with valid retorts as you did.. I commend you for your point of view and your maturity in stating it.. Unlike some others ..

... If the president would have pulled their scholarships for refusing to play, those guys would have played in my opinion ...
Based on what Nu'Trelle have read, his guess is that if Wolfe (President of Missouri) had taken action against the school's black football players, it would have caused an outbreak of rioting on campus that likely would have resulted in millions of dollars in damage and years of repairs. Protesters might have burned the place to the ground.

Doesn't look like the U of Mo is a good place to be right now ... some of the tension there is tied to the shooting last year in Ferguson. Hostility over such issues runs deep. People are not averse to going for each other's throats to prove a point.

Black student leaders got what they sought - Wolfe's resignation. Hope their demands were justified. It helped to hear Wolfe admit in a Press Conference, "I take full responsibility for the inaction."

Reactions: peezy28
[QUOTE="Doesn't look like the U of Mo is a good place to be right now ... some of the tension there is tied to the shooting last year in Ferguson. Hostility over such issues runs deep. People are not averse to going for each other's throats to prove a point. "[/QUOTE]

Good point; just looked it up: Columbia is 116 miles straight line on I-70 to Ferguson. But again, whatever the reason, this was monumental for college football - that a team did this as a team and what they asked for was given - the Genie, gentlemen, is out of the bottle (I'm going to see how many more I can come up with).

I'll bet Presidents are meeting with Athletic Departments and the legal staff at colleges right now, telling them to put a "no-siding with the team" clause in all future head coaching contracts.

Last edited:
Statements like this do nothing to help the cause. I cannot believe this was actually tweeted out of the official account of the movement...with no consequences.

"It's typically white media who don't understand the importance of respecting black spaces."

Last edited:
... again, whatever the reason, this was monumental for college football - that a team did this as a team and what they asked for was given ...
Sorry SK, but the team didn't "ask". They made a demand and backed it up with a threat in the form of an ultimatum.

You guys are lost in a story better suited for Nancy Grace.

I'm talking about the signifigance - for whatever reason, and whatever semantics you choose - of this event.

For the first time in all the years college football has been played, a team has found a chink in the armor of the institution that exploits and profits from them with no concern about them as soon as their eligibility is over. Millions, nay billions are made, shit is allowed to happen because the NCAA has a brand and wants to keep it profitable. You have to see this is why the Urban Meyers of the world can tell a bold face lie to millions on TV and hardly anybody raises an eyebrow. You have to see why the first four last week included two teams playing each other and another that could have been upset, that were being hyped for a TV share? No?

The Humanity for Chrismassakes. Good for the Missouri Tigers - Power to the People.

You guys are lost in a story better suited for Nancy Grace.

I'm talking about the signifigance - for whatever reason, and whatever semantics you choose - of this event.

For the first time in all the years college football has been played, a team has found a chink in the armor of the institution that exploits and profits from them with no concern about them as soon as their eligibility is over. Millions, nay billions are made, shit is allowed to happen because the NCAA has a brand and wants to keep it profitable. You have to see this is why the Urban Meyers of the world can tell a bold face lie to millions on TV and hardly anybody raises an eyebrow. You have to see why the first four last week included two teams playing each other and another that could have been upset, that were being hyped for a TV share? No?

The Humanity for Chrismassakes. Good for the Missouri Tigers - Power to the People.

The perceived "chink", appears to be based on a "7 year students lie" !!!! How about "power to a fraud"...........

The perceived "chink", appears to be based on a "7 year students lie" !!!! How about "power to a fraud"...........

In classic Drummer style, he totally fails to get the point Silver King was making. Yet, in his own post he berates athletes who graduate with less than college worthy skills. Drummer, do you have a college education? If not, then you are excused!

In classic Drummer style, he totally fails to get the point Silver King was making. Yet, in his own post he berates athletes who graduate with less than college worthy skills. Drummer, do you have a college education? If not, then you are excused!

I missed nothing......... Only students missed the point that they are victims of a fraud and like sheep, being led to slaughter..

Based on what the original "infractions" were, I'm not sure the demands and the end results were at all justified. But I do know this--what happened at University of Missouri has set a precedent that many more will follow.

Reactions: Fan 74
Sounds like what SK excited about is that a "precedent" has been set. But is everything about that good? Should people celebrate?

Got an issue that's not being dealt with to your sataisfaction? No problem, get the football team to threaten a boycott and you'll get whatever concession you want. If not, then go ahead and burn the place down!

If that ever comes to pass, most major universities will have no choice but to throw in the towel and disband their athletic programs.

Everybody talks about how much money is involved. At Ohio State, not one dime from football and men's basketball (the only 2 sports that generate a profit) goes into the General Fund. No student at Ohio State receives as much as one cent of benefit because the school has a football team UNLESS he/she is an athlete receiving a grant-in-aid.

Tuition, books, room and board at most major universities carries a value of $80-120K per year. In order to find someone who thinks that playing a sport is an unfair exchange for that sum, you have to get down into that percentage of the population that has trouble speaking in sentences or doing simple math calculations.

In other words, you have to find someone who lacks the brains to be enrolled in a University in the first place.

Then you have to ask yourself, "Why?" Fairly confounding, isn't it?

Reactions: Fan 74
Sounds like what SK excited about is that a "precedent" has been set. But is everything about that good? Should people celebrate?

Got an issue that's not being dealt with to your sataisfaction? No problem, get the football team to threaten a boycott and you'll get whatever concession you want. If not, then go ahead and burn the place down!

If that ever comes to pass, most major universities will have no choice but to throw in the towel and disband their athletic programs.

Everybody talks about how much money is involved. At Ohio State, not one dime from football and men's basketball (the only 2 sports that generate a profit) goes into the General Fund. No student at Ohio State receives as much as one cent of benefit because the school has a football team UNLESS he/she is an athlete receiving a grant-in-aid.

Tuition, books, room and board at most major universities carries a value of $80-120K per year. In order to find someone who thinks that playing a sport is an unfair exchange for that sum, you have to get down into that percentage of the population that has trouble speaking in sentences or doing simple math calculations.

In other words, you have to find someone who lacks the brains to be enrolled in a University in the first place.

Then you have to ask yourself, "Why?" Fairly confounding, isn't it?

Neutral, in the USA, the value of anything and everything is measured in dollars. A fair way to measure the value of an education would be the way in which classic, Finance theory used to value equity securities: the present value of expected future cash flows from it. Given the current economic circumstances of this once great country, how much is this really worth? The answer to that is an open question.

Reactions: Pipe Dreams
I may have also missed the boat, but in the big picture I hope two things occur:

1) This makes hateful people think twice about what they say to people of a different race. I am beyond the point of thinking racists (whatever color) can be reformed. I hope college campuses become what they should be.

2) This does not set a precedent for caucasian male leaders in times of racial/gender hardship to be singled out. I do not believe the president was in control of individuals and lost his job unjustly. That's not PC Principal but it's my opinion. He drafted language this year in the student policy for racial awareness. The problem is it's much easier to offend people when you are not at the root of a social cause (racial tension, gender equality). I think that in these times you have absolutely no voice if you are 'the man' from others perspectives. We are human too - we understand that these issues exist.

I consider myself a space cadet anyway.

Overall this is a bummer... and before you attack my caucasian male comments, know that I believe everybody is equal. However it's much easier to offend people when you are told you grew up with 'white privilege' or 'male privilege' a nd 'can't understand'.

I do. I hope this sets a precedent moving forward (getting back to the original point of the thread) but I don't agree 100% with how it went down.

One person on this board who will understand who I am from a personal persoective is SHARK. He was in that locker room. It was all about jokes and friendship when we got off the field. Race wasn't even acknowledged!!! Hell Ricky Booker went through a barrack wall at Camp Blanding and we had to do 100 up-downs. We still thought it was hilarious! Football bonds people of different colors and at least this board is a place people will understand that.

Neutral, in the USA, the value of anything and everything is measured in dollars. A fair way to measure the value of an education would be the way in which classic, Finance theory used to value equity securities: the present value of expected future cash flows from it. Given the current economic circumstances of this once great country, how much is this really worth? The answer to that is an open question.
When a kid show Nu'Trelle a statement that show he/she have run up over a quarter-million in debt just to earn an undergraduate degree, there's nothin open-ended about that. Maybe there's room for debate as to how much the degree is worth, but there's little head-scratching involved as to how much it cost. Cost is something that's cut-and-dried.

When a kid takes the degree, enters the workforce, and applies him/herself that's when "value added or received" can ultimately be determined. Just like snowflakes, no two people are ever completely identical. Some people will take their degree and soar; while others will never leave the ground.

and Darter Blue that's how I measure my net worth. Net Present Value! Makes ya feel better about yourself for sure.

... that's how I measure my net worth. Net Present Value! Makes ya feel better about yourself for sure.
Pipe Dream: One thing about people on this board - there may be many occasions when most of us we will think of you as being worth less, but very few of us will ever consider you worthless.

Get a pencil an markit down.

SK tried to lead some of you horses to water, but you're an easily distracted herd, and SK can't make you drink the Kool-aid. But some of you reminding SK of a song from back in the day:

Let's face it, the president was weak, took the blame, and left like he should have. No way that weak- kneed pres could have dealt with the anti war or civil rights movement that was present on many U.S. campuses during the 1960's. Protest are good for our form of government. It should open eyes and minds. You don't have to agree with the otherside, but you do get a better understanding of their point of view. We were founded on protest. Ever hear of the Boston Tea Party ?

Reactions: Silver King
The problem with protests today is, he who yells the loudest gets the most press coverage. Social media has allowed them to get a message out with little effort. The silent majority are seldom heard. I'm not saying that's the issue here, but, it sounds like a different story when additional information came out. Did the press over exaggerate a story again? Probably!

I, too, agree this will open up the possibility for many more protests. If I were a non-athlete on a campus today, I would be concerned that the athletes have even more power and influence than we previously thought. The rest of the student body will have little say in anything anymore.

Again, money = influence

Let's face it, the president was weak, took the blame, and left like he should have. No way that weak- kneed pres could have dealt with the anti war or civil rights movement that was present on many U.S. campuses during the 1960's. Protest are good for our form of government. It should open eyes and minds. You don't have to agree with the otherside, but you do get a better understanding of their point of view. We were founded on protest. Ever hear of the Boston Tea Party ?

For honorable causes, yes... This, appears a fraud as I noted above.. In case you forgot this was started by a student that was on campus for........ 7 YEARS and his complaint appears to have been WITHOUT MERIT........

Based on what the original "infractions" were, I'm not sure the demands and the end results were at all justified. But I do know this--what happened at University of Missouri has set a precedent that many more will follow.

Maybe,..............fraud must be CRUSHED RIGHT AWAY... This, "precedent" , as you stated, is a fraud... However, weak administrators and teachers are now reaping what they have been advocating for years... ANARCHY !!!!

Statements like this do nothing to help the cause. I cannot believe this was actually tweeted out of the official account of the movement...with no consequences.

"It's typically white media who don't understand the importance of respecting black spaces."

I watched the video of them blocking the kid and was surprised to find out concerned student 1950 is comprised of white black Spanish and Asian teachers and students.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT