ADVERTISEMENT

Mater Academy hires Casullo

307mac

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2009
Former St. Thomas Aquinas football coach Rocco Casullo will continue coaching in South Florida.

After month after resigning from his job coaching the reigning Class 7A state champions, it was announced Thursday that Casullo has been hired to be the new football coach at Mater Academy in Hialeah Gardens.

Mater athletic director Luis Sanchez told The Miami Herald Thursday via email of the hiring. Casullo takes over for Javi Valdes, who led the Lions to their first-ever playoff appearance in Class 7A this past season before leaving to coach at Coral Reef earlier this month. Mater Academy, a district runner-up last season, went 14-7 over the past two seasons under Valdes.

Casullo, 38, went 47-9 over the past four seasons at Aquinas after succeeding legendary coach George Smith. During that time, Casullo directed Aquinas to a pair of state championships.

Are schools raising their coaching pay significantly? I have never seen this many moves. Do most sign a contract like college coaches? Is it an annual contract?

Sooooooo....I guess I missed this one. Why is he no longer at STA? Who is the coach at STA now? Kind of a big deal.

Word on the street is Willie Stargell and some dude named Krunk are up for the job..

This post was edited on 2/23 11:18 AM by redfishron

Dang, son. 2 state championships in four years. They set the bar high over there at STA. Gonna be interesting when this story breaks.

Personal issues... I am surprised he jumped back into coaching so soon...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT