ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Richt Is Out

peezy28

Feb 25, 2003
Pretty sure they told him to hire his son (or make him an off field position since he was never qualified to be a QB coach) and hire a real OC and DC and he basically said "give me back my 1 Million donation and I will just retire... I don't feel like going through a divorce for firing my son"

He tried to be like Bobby Bowden yet he did not have the titles to his resume to hold that clout.

Pretty sure they told him to hire his son (or make him an off field position since he was never qualified to be a QB coach) and hire a real OC and DC and he basically said "give me back my 1 Million donation and I will just retire... I don't feel like going through a divorce for firing my son"

He tried to be like Bobby Bowden yet he did not have the titles to his resume to hold that clout.
Shocker.. just saw it on "prep grindiron." SK and myself (and others) liked the hire. Oh, well. Funny how the older you get the more you realize how much you don't know. Youngsters, lead us to the promise land.....

I think his replacement will either be Stoops or Kiffen since they will not rehire Butch Davis

If it isn't Butch, I'd give Kiffen a shot.

Dan, he did great till right after Notre Dame in 2017. Then went from talking about the final 4 to losing to Pitt, yanking that QB that caused a kid who brought them back in games, to lose confidence because his coach didn't believe he could. He was never the same afterwards - even Richt said it was a mistake to pull him.

And you're right, I can't understand how he was known as a QB whisperer, yet got himself into that position with the QBs. Perry was suspended and didn't know the playbook for two years and he could have put Rosier in a better situation with roll outs for his running skills.

Predictable unimaginative play calling

When he was hired at UGA, it was after a pretty rough period with Goff and Donnan, so he added a degree of stability that UGA hadn't had for about 10 year period. The very 1st thing I noted was his initial insistence to be the HBC and OC and it cost them some games including a couple of games against Tech. So he finally relents to the pressure and promotes Mike Bobo to be his OC in 2007........Bobo was terrible but Richt wouldn't do anything about it.......(I believe he let his loyalty to Bobo get in the way of moving on). I believe if Bobo hadn't gotten the job at Colorado St, he would have still been at UGA when Richt was finally dismissed. He was always a just pretty good a recruiter, but I got to tell you the chit I'd hear going on with the players on the team from folks when I was Athens, always left me amazed the hammer never came down on the program. Maybe the stuff I heard was indicative of just about any major program, for me I thought it was some pretty serious stuff however and I wouldn't have put up with it. All in all I just felt he ran UGA football program way too loose, was a poor decision maker during the heat of the battle, and let his loyalty to friendships get in the way of making tuff personnel decisions.
I agree with Peezy - The time may be right to bring a personality like Kiffin into the Miami program........I've been somewhat surprised by what he's done at FAU.

Go Canes Go!

What about Doc Holliday at Marshall?
He recuits South Florida like a sonofaB.

How does this affect the Early Signing Period signees?

As coaches and mentors, do we tell the player to be recruited by the coach or the school? I ask because I read an article that suggests NCAA head coaches last less than 4 years at their school. So basically, a player isn't likely to graduate with the same coach that recruited them.

Honestly, I am surprised Richt "retired." I still like him, he had Miami as #2 in the nation 2 seasons ago. He struggled offensively, sure. Maybe, it was the news stories. They all seemed sad about Miami. They didn't seem outraged or optimistic, but sad and resigned to their fate kinda stories. Who replaces Richt? How about Mike Leach?

This season crushed this recruiting class, and they didn't have a QB in the cycle. Think they're in the 30s.

Laz, I like Doc, he really did a great job with one of our Charlotte kids, Ty Tyler, a DE, had the first tackle in the Bowl game the other night and a sack. Kid even graduates this month. He can recruit FL.

gatorman, the Georgia people reminded Canes fans of a lot of his pitfalls on the Cane's board. The natives kept seeing how stubborn he was about play calling.

But he ultimately did the right thing

So the pay a 4M buyout to get a coach who was just on staff 2 weeks ago. I think Manny is a good coach as long as he hires an ACE OC but the optics of that is weird.

I'm not sure he was ready, I was hoping he'd get some HC experience and the next round. But then again, the great ones start early and the players love him.

The money isn't nothing, since Richt retired and no buyout.

Peezy, you'll be going through it soon enough, maybe the Noles can bring Urban back to the state if its next year. Their was talk on the Canes board

I'm not sure he was ready, I was hoping he'd get some HC experience and the next round. But then again, the great ones start early and the players love him.

The money isn't nothing, since Richt retired and no buyout.

Oh right, he won't get the rest of his contract. Its still weird situation though. I thought they would go after a current HC though. I think Kiffen would have been the best hire.

Peezy, you'll be going through it soon enough, maybe the Noles can bring Urban back to the state if its next year. Their was talk on the Canes board

Can't have a peaceful one without you throwing a shot at the Noles I see.

I came on here when Mark Richt was hired and explained that he didn't have the juice get the Hurricanes to where the fans wanted them to be. Georgia fans had told me he had barely put much effort in coaching the Dawgs the last 7-8 years of his tenure. Regardless, Mark Richt is a very honorable person who I have the utmost respect.

I must congratulate the Miami Hurricane program on the hire of their new head coach, Manny Diaz. Coach Diaz is a Florida State graduate and former Florida State graduate assistant. I wish him the best of luck except for one day a year.

Reactions: peezy28
Richt was a class guy, leaving how he did - no buyout. I really hoped he still had some gas in the tank, but zero development in the QBs and his stubbornness leaving his son as QB coach and insisting on play calling, really snowballed when it started going bad.

He did some great things; first 10-win season in 15 years, beating FSU (always a close game no matter the coach or year), crushing Notre Dame, and winning the Coastal.

It makes me optimistic about Manny, because they had 30 turnovers in those 10 wins, then only 1 in their next four losses through LSU this season. They had one of the Top D's in the country even with the O leaving them on the field a lot. He gets an aggressive new wave OC and figures out the QB - even to game management level - and good things will happen.

Just came across this stat from NBC article about the best Defenses;

Defense has been the much stronger side of the ball for Miami during Diaz's three years at the school. Under Diaz, Miami has allowed 4.6 yards per play — among all other Football Bowl Subdivision schools, only Alabama (4.2), Clemson (4.4), Michigan (4.4) and Washington (4.55) have allowed less in that three-year span.

Consider the offenses those other schools had compared to Miami's:

The offense hasn't had the same success, and struggled mightily this year. So far this season, with some bowl games left, 73 different quarterbacks have thrown for more yards by themselves than Miami did as a team in 2018

Last edited:
Peace Brother, that's just fact.

Unless you inherited clairvoyance you can't name a event that has yet to happen and will not happen for a minimum of 365 days a fact... If Willie makes the hard choices and turns this around next year and this board is still around I will be sure to bring the topic back up and tell you don't play the lotto anytime soon. BTW if you are clairvoyant cant I get those next Lotto numbers?

Reactions: jgking83
I came on here when Mark Richt was hired and explained that he didn't have the juice get the Hurricanes to where the fans wanted them to be. Georgia fans had told me he had barely put much effort in coaching the Dawgs the last 7-8 years of his tenure. Regardless, Mark Richt is a very honorable person who I have the utmost respect.

I must congratulate the Miami Hurricane program on the hire of their new head coach, Manny Diaz. Coach Diaz is a Florida State graduate and former Florida State graduate assistant. I wish him the best of luck except for one day a year.
Richt was a class guy, leaving how he did - no buyout. I really hoped he still had some gas in the tank, but zero development in the QBs and his stubbornness leaving his son as QB coach and insisting on play calling, really snowballed when it started going bad.

He did some great things; first 10-win season in 15 years, beating FSU (always a close game no matter the coach or year), crushing Notre Dame, and winning the Coastal.

It makes me optimistic about Manny, because they had 30 turnovers in those 10 wins, then only 1 in their next four losses through LSU this season. They had one of the Top D's in the country even with the O leaving them on the field a lot. He gets an aggressive new wave OC and figures out the QB - even to game management level - and good things will happen.

Heard he was looking to hire Fedora which would be a home run IMO.

Yes, all the chatter is they've got a mutual appreciation and they're trying to close the deal. One of the guys that covers Miami and is usually very accurate, said FSU was also interested in Fedora

Yes, all the chatter is they've got a mutual appreciation and they're trying to close the deal. One of the guys that covers Miami and is usually very accurate, said FSU was also interested in Fedora

We were, it was Freeze then Briles and had that fell through he was definitely going for Fedora with all he had.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT