ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Cannon did you know Matt Hobbie?

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
Saw the headline in the Sarasota Herald Tribune today, that he had passed away in his sleep at the age of only 48. I of course knew him from his play at Sarasota High on the football field, but got the opportunity to get know him a little better via American Legion Baseball. Guy I worked closely with at the Sarasota PO, was the head of the American Legion in Sarasota, and was able to put together enough sponsorships to put together a team that consisted primarily of Riverview High and Sarasota High baseball players....which included Matt.

My friend without fail would have a story to tell me about a weekend series the American Legion team would have played in and some games I saw myself, that almost always included Matt in some way. If I were to imagine Wavebb as a young man at Matt's age then, I could see them being definite kindred spirits! Matt was a charismatic personality that in a crowded room, it would have been hard to not be drawn to where he was! RIP Matt Hobbie...................

Sorry to hear that. Certainly know of him but can’t say I ever met Matt. I believe that I’m familiar with his family. We moved back to Sarasota in August of 1993. My oldest is 8 years younger than Matt was.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT