ADVERTISEMENT

Manatee versus Sarasota Riverview for the District Title

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
Manatee is an extremely young team with 3 Freshmen, 3 Sophomores, and 11 Juniors starting and/or seeing significant amounts of playing time. The youth on this Manatee team at times is rather apparent, yet its also easy to visualize how good this group is going to be based on the results of the last 3 weeks. Manatee had some serious QB issues at the start of the season, but its QB play has gotten progressively better since the Armwood and Palmetto games. The defense has its moment where the youth is also evident, but the HBC seems to sense when its time for him to become directly involved to get the kids attention. I could see Manatee pulling off a win, if they play 24 minutes of engaged and error free football. That's a lot to ask though against a team like Riverview, would like to see Manatee make this a competitive game for the full 24 minutes......but in the end I see this one going Riverview's way.

Go Canes Go!

Youngest team that I can remember........21 juniors, 9 sophomores and 6 freshmen. Two freshmen starting on the OL and one on the DL. Charles Armstrong 6'5 265 and Derek Maurice 6'3 255 on the OL and Quinton Rome 6'0 240 on the DL. Also have Irone Jackson 6'1 185 starting at WR/RB. He is going to be a good one! We will have some growing pains but their starting to buy in. Future is bright! Oh.......we wil play with Riverview. Their numbers are really down they will only dress out 44 players. It will be for the district title.

Based from some lopsided scores Manatee and Riverview have put up in that district is easy to see why this game will be for the Championship.

Since when have Jrs made your team young? It’s great for next year but I wouldn’t call it a young team. 38 upperclassmen on a 52 man roster.

Okay then you call them an experienced team then.............

Go Canes Go!

I saw O'Neil played QB vs Palm Harbor. Fordham I thought was doing well?
I notice Fordham in the 2 games he started at QB, was leaving his feet when he threw the ball......so I wouldn't say his throwing motion is the best. My guess is seeing O'Neil at the QB position allows Manatee to put Fordham at a WR and RB position, with Booker lead blocking when Fordham lines up at the TB position........makes the offense more diversified if anything. O'Neil looked better at the QB position then he had previously, but the opponent wasn't the best either. O'Neil also gives Manatee potentially the ability to add being able to throw more down field, although against Palm Harbor most of what he threw were screen passes...........

I'm going to add a PS to this: In my mind I'm wondering if Joe or maybe Booth and the new HBC might be consulting just alittle with each other? This offense to me as its begun to take shape, doesn't look exactly like what I watched on film of Lincoln HS when the HBC was there..........

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
I agree with the expected outcome. Riverview will win by at least 2 tds. Manatee and Riverview both have been playing weak teams for the most post part but their district is weak. My prediction RHS 34 Manatee 17

Mantee's defense is awful- Riverview will put up points and run the ball for a lot of yards while controlling clock- 34-20 View!

Looks like the predictions above held true.

I often wonder if the Riverview coaches look back to that Venice game and rethink not finishing it? I still think Venice wins based off of what I saw.
Is Riverview better now than before?

“We have a young team” posts leading into big games generally mean somebody expects the running clock and is preparing the field. This was certainly an experience, I can’t imagine Riverview has ever hit Manatee with a running clock before. Booth and company sure put the new HC in a tough position.

I cant remember when the last time Manatee had the running clock put on them. The mystic maybe fading but with time and the right staff it can be brought back.
Issue is time and patience. Manatee faithful will want to see results quickly.

Last and first time manatee had a running clock on them is last year when they played Venice. RHS would of had a running clock if they didn't call the game at Venice. RHS would of been embarrassed if the Venice game continued. BELIEVE DAT!!!

Reactions: Football941
On the other hand I was at the sota River game and Sota is not as bad as they appear. Look for a tight one this Friday vs Venice

Ah yes my memory must be lapsing. It was 14-0 Venice before Manatee blinked.

So Sarasota comes into Venice and plays it close?

I had to laugh as I watched the game, the radio guys kept lamenting how Manatee defensive players were continually out of position. I thought to myself you guys cant see Riverview is just completely dominating the line of scrimmage on offense?......defensively Riverview just over-whelmed Manatee with pressure and speed. This is by far the youngest Manatee team I can recall seeing going back to the mid 70's. If the new HBC can hold things together, I believe next year's team can be competitive. The bigger question however is what the HBC can do in as far as getting the program pieced back together at the freshman and JV level........ from the cluster Booth left behind.

Riverview is good......I'd say I was probably more impressed with them defensively than I was with their offense.......the Friday night game against Manatee left me wondering just how good Braden River and Venice must be?

Go Canes Go!

Gman...

Carlosdanger aside lol What is the feel of the community or anyone close enough to know. Are they seeing the results of this season as a long time coming based on Booths years or is this all on the new HC and he's not long for these parts (or that job)

I had to laugh as I watched the game, the radio guys kept lamenting how Manatee defensive players were continually out of position. I thought to myself you guys cant see Riverview is just completely dominating the line of scrimmage on offense?......defensively Riverview just over-whelmed Manatee with pressure and speed. This is by far the youngest Manatee team I can recall seeing going back to the mid 70's. If the new HBC can hold things together, I believe next year's team can be competitive. The bigger question however is what the HBC can do in as far as getting the program pieced back together at the freshman and JV level........ from the cluster Booth left behind.

Riverview is good......I'd say I was probably more impressed with them defensively than I was with their offense.......the Friday night game against Manatee left me wondering just how good Braden River and Venice must be?

Go Canes Go!

If the Riverview-Venice game is any indication Manatee will be in for a long night at home. The Braden River-Venice game also gives you a feel that Braden River will take that win as well. How good are these 2 teams are the winner in the past 2 years has made it to the State Semi finals to face St Thomas Aquinas. Either team could probably make that run once again this year.
Its just not Manatees year this go around. They have had a great run through this area its just not happening like it had in years past.
I'm guessing that BR Manatee game is not being rescheduled ?

Gman...

Carlosdanger aside lol What is the feel of the community or anyone close enough to know. Are they seeing the results of this season as a long time coming based on Booths years or is this all on the new HC and he's not long for these parts (or that job)
Peezy:

I'm just not close enough to the program to give you the fly on the wall perspective..........For the last 3 year however, I reported the results of the freshman and JV teams under Booth, the declining numbers, the losing seasons....(freshman alone went 3 seasons I believe without a win). That was always met with, If was a true Manatee fan I wouldn't say such things, I didn't know what I was talking about or there was unbelievable coming out for these freshman and JV teams and I'd see how wrong I was .......Booth's gone and all that's left to say about those that apparently look at things with rose colored glasses is - "Yeah right!"....I still don't believe the new HBC is the answer or was the right hire, but truth be told he walked into a pretty bad situation. I'm willing to give him 3 years at this point to see what he can do. I like that he's got some alumni out there assisting with the coaching now, apparently he's turned the OC duties over to Brion and I'm all on board with that as well!

Joe put teams on the field that were always so well coached, he could be beat more talented teams just because his Manatee teams were that well coached. I'm not convinced the new HBC can do that..........At this point I'd just like to see Manatee field teams that can at least compete against upper tier teams and the Freshman and JV teams become viable once again.

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
I give the new HBC another year and I think he steps down. Booth came into a better situation so he was able to win off talent.

Turning around a program like Manatee will take time. If Booth had a championship team coming back, my guess is he would still be the Head coach. He saw the writing on the wall and got out when he could and left a mess so someone else would have to clean it up. It also does't help that a lot of talent that would go to Manatee is now going to Braden River. If they can get a few more big bodies up front they will be fine. Thats really the difference between them and other teams.( Palmetto, Braden River, Riverview, Venice) I believe the new coach is a great coach and will outcoach anyone, but when you can't control the line of scrimmage it's hard to win. Developing that pipeline with the little leagues teams and getting out there in the community will be key to the new coach since he is an outsider. Once he develops that, he will have it rolling again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT