ADVERTISEMENT

Manatee HS HBC Yusuf Shakir Fired!

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
At this point information about the firing is unavailable.

His ability to connect with the football community in Manatee County was instrumental with rebuilding the Manatee football program and keeping it viable the last 4 years. Depending who ultimately is selected to replace coach Shakir, their ability to connect on the level coach Shakir did with the Manatee County football community will be vital if Manatee is going to remain football competitive?

Not a good situation at Manatee right now! Administration is terrible! Underhill is horrible! This is a personal firing not a job related firing. Underhill is ok with mediocracy and it followed him to Manatee from Bayshore!

Not a good situation at Manatee right now! Administration is terrible! Underhill is horrible! This is a personal firing not a job related firing. Underhill is ok with mediocracy and it followed him to Manatee from Bayshore!
This has been my hunch all along, but I wanted to avoid saying anything definitive until I had more information.

Look I wasn't necessarily a fan with the level of coaching, but decided that Shakir's ability to connect with the youth football community County wide, outweighed my personal opinion as it related to coaching. I don't think long term anything is going to change no matter who is hired. now that political influence and county money has basically left Bradenton and has moved out east, anything related to success at Manatee HS related to football will be looked upon with contempt by these folks and they will do what ever is necessary to stop it................Shakir like Kinnan just becomes another causality of that contempt.

This come's just about a year to the day when it went public about the recruiting thing and 4 game suspension. Could it have been some left over baggage from that, that he and the Admin never got over?

This come's just about a year to the day when it went public about the recruiting thing and 4 game suspension. Could it have been some left over baggage from that, that he and the Admin never got over?
Cant say for sure at this point, I've gotten several messages from others indicating there was a potential clashing of personalities between the School Principle and Coach Shakir that led to his firing? A former player has indicated he'd share some details but I haven't heard back from him as of yet. The Manatee HS community is very upset with this and the way it all went down. I thought last years fiasco was a sham, and to me had all the markings of a hit job originating from within the greater Manatee County Administrative School board and the county AD. I had a reporter from WFLA contact me about it now.......so the media at least is making a attempt to look deeper into this.

Last edited:
Well, the Manatee Superintendent Cynthia Saunders and the county AD knew nothing of it and are very upset over how it went down. The new mayor who is still on the board of the sport boosters club at Manatee is irate over this. Manatee booster club president had just met with Underhill and nothing was discussed about it then. Actually Shakir was given praise for his accomplishments and the direction the program was going. This was a personal firing!
I believe it all stims from Shakir's suspension. Actually it was Underhill who introduced the youth coach to Shakir and was ok with the team visiting the campus. He later denied it when Shakir was questioned about it. Manatee AD and Underhill where the ones who self reported the incident. There is no doubt that there is bad blood between the AD, Principal and coach Shakir. Many believe this is his way of sticking it to everyone before he retires after next year. Many high up people want him (Underhill) gone and he knows it.........

Well, the Manatee Superintendent Cynthia Saunders and the county AD knew nothing of it and are very upset over how it went down. The new mayor who is still on the board of the sport boosters club at Manatee is irate over this. Manatee booster club president had just met with Underhill and nothing was discussed about it then. Actually Shakir was given praise for his accomplishments and the direction the program was going. This was a personal firing!
I believe it all stims from Shakir's suspension. Actually it was Underhill who introduced the youth coach to Shakir and was ok with the team visiting the campus. He later denied it when Shakir was questioned about it. Manatee AD and Underhill where the ones who self reported the incident. There is no doubt that there is bad blood between the AD, Principal and coach Shakir. Many believe this is his way of sticking it to everyone before he retires after next year. Many high up people want him (Underhill) gone and he knows it.........
Twc2499 - Lapoint told me verbally she knew nothing of the visit, and stated she couldn't have known about it because she was on maternity leave.......I'm telling you this because I questioned her as a manager with oversight responsibility, how she could allow a visit like this or not be aware it was going to happen? I told her that when I faced situations similar to this as a manager I would have never allowed my subordinate to take the full blunt responsibility of situation like that, when ultimately I failed to have a process in place that required visitors request to come onto the campus or visit campus facilities without 1st getting my approval..........

I also directly asked her if she had anything to do with reporting this to the county AD? As I recall she neither denied or acknowledge one way or the other. its not like I was able to do a full fledge investigation but as I stated earlier, she said just enough and then with what she didn't say it left me feeling it was ultimately a hit job on Shakir.....I just wasn't sure where it originated from.......I leaned more in the direction of the county AD

Not saying what you've indicated above isnt true, just passing along to you what Lapoint told me verbally about the situation

Last edited:
This is EXACTLY what happens when the people who are appointed to positions of power fail to realize that nothing else besides the football program has any bearing on the success/failure of a high school.

GO CANES! NAME GATORMAN001 A.D. ! BRING BACK JOE!

Neutral,

If that is what your assessment of the situation is, in as far as I'm concerned and what I've communicated here in this forum...(because that ultimately is the scope of what either of us know of the other)? The title of this song comes immediately to mind

For all those insinuating various reasons for this decision, have you actually looked at the numbers? The following is the previous 15 years of MHS football records (taken from MaxPreps) and broken down into 3 or 4 year blocks.

Kinnan's previous 4 years
39-12 or .764 overall
8-3 or .727 playoffs
1 final four
1 runner up

Kinnan's last 4 years
52-6 or .896 overall
12-3 or .800 playoffs
2 final fours
1 state championship

Booth's 3 years
28-9 or .756 overall
4-3 or .571 playoffs
1 final four

Shakir's 4 years
29-16 or .644 overall
3-4 or .428 playoffs
No final fours, runner-up, or state champs
8 game suspension for recruiting

The last coach with a worse record was DeCristofaro, and he too was fired after 4 years. So please, stop with the innuendo and false narrative, and realize that this firing is in line with the history of the program and it's expectations of success.

For all those insinuating various reasons for this decision, have you actually looked at the numbers? The following is the previous 15 years of MHS football records (taken from MaxPreps) and broken down into 3 or 4 year blocks.

39-12 or .764 overall
8-3 or .727 playoffs
1 final four
1 runner up

Kinnan's last 4 years
52-6 or .896 overall
12-3 or .800 playoffs
2 final fours
1 state championship

Booth's 3 years
28-9 or .756 overall
4-3 or .571 playoffs
1 final four

Shakir's 4 years
29-16 or .644 overall
3-4 or .428 playoffs

The last coach with a worse record was DeCristofaro, and he too was fired after 4 years. So please, stop with the innuendo and false narrative, and realize that this firing is in line with the history of the program and it's expectations of success.
Its easy to throw out numbers, in business I found some of the best BS'ers in fact actually excelled at this, but ultimately without context numbers are just that.........numbers

Booth inherited a program rich in talent top to bottom (compliments of Joe), but when he left ..........he left a program incapable of fielding a freshman team and barely able to field a JV team and a varsity roster that regularly fielded only 38-42 players. Manatee at the time was playing in 8A meaning the program rich in football history, should have had a ample student population where scoping out campus talent should have been a given........yet Booth failed miserably at this and subsequently left football completely when he resigned.

I critized the hire when Shakir was hired at Manatee because he left Lincoln HS in a cloud of rumored discontent among the Lincoln school administration and its fan base, in addition to his record his last 4 years at Lincoln was mired in mediocrity. His first four seasons at Lincoln with program rich in talent that he inherited from the previous staff, Shakir went 41-12, but in the last four seasons his Trojans were only 27-19, including 6-7 and 5-4 seasons the last two years.

I've been critical of Shakir's coaching, his coordinators in general particularly his choice at OC, but on the other hand he was doing a better job than Booth had done with making the program viable once again with its freshmen and JV teams numbers on the rise......... For me understanding the achievements reached by Joe were the exception rather than the rule, despite how I felt about Shakir the coach the program was generally competitive and viable once again, so I accepted things as they were understanding it ultimately could be worse.

What irks me about what went down last week was the unfortunate timing and the way it was handled by those ultimately that made the decision to fire him. There's a right way and a wrong way to handle matters related to hiring and firing and this one reminds me things I witnessed in the business world......(particularly by those that make decisions that defy business logic and/or tend to lash out emotionally). This wasn't a merit based decision......(which it easily could have been and subsequently explained as such by the school administrators), but one based deep in emotion, like that of a vengeful female!

So we move on from here, I'd like to see Brion Carnes come back as I actually liked what I saw from him as a 1st year OC......(apparently there were personality issues between he and Shakir which caused him to leave after 1 year). There's the guy that coached Gorman HS to a couple of Natl titles at Sarasota HS presently, that might be interested. Lots of young guys out there looking for a opportunity to get their foot in the door of being a head coach. Discovered last year the current HBC at the university of Indiana got his start in the Tampa Bay area at Armwood HS with coaching......lets hope those entrusted with making the new hire make it a wise one!

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
TWC2499 had indicated in a post in this thread that the current Principal at Manatee HS (that fired coach Shakir) was not held in high regard by many with oversight authority and/or influence. Today it was announced that at the end of this school year, he will be replaced by current Braden River Principal - Sharon Scarborough. I don't have any inside info if the firing of Shakir may have had any weight, with making this decision.....the timing would lead one to ask some questions about what really is going on here?.

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
This feels a little like when former principal Jeff Asher fired the baseball coach on his last day. Lots of questions, very few answers.

How many board members are still there from the Kinnan/Frazier house cleaning? Might still be playing out for the program in some way, like pressure to run a tighter ship.

When Manatee Co school board does something , they do in a big way.

I'm too far removed from the inner workings of things to speak from a position of being in the know. I've spoken to a few that would be, but I don't think that they'd be willing to speak openly or in a public forum about it. I believe it was senior parent night this past season, the PA announcer indicated that there were several booster members that had been elected to various positions of city/county government and possibly to a school board position......so there's that. Also speaking of acting fast, the same day Shakir was fired the Manatee AD put the HBC football position up to accept applications

Ankletaper mentioned about Jeff Archer firing the baseball coach his last day on the job, I tried looking into some archived information on that and it appears Archer was hired as the principle of Manatee HS (I believe it was 2003), by bringing him out of retirement by Roger Dearing (the then Superintendent of the Manatee School Board). Archer had retired from teaching as the principle of Vero Beach HS but had a working relationship with Dearing previously. While looking I came upon the whole situation with Manatee baseball coach Dwayne Strong, that Kinnan was indirectly charged with from a basic lack of adequate oversight standpoint......in that funds were paid to a training complex which was also run by Strong. " Joe Kinnan and former assistant superintendent Bob Gagnon (who also served as principal of Manatee HS for a period of time), were reprimanded by the district for "failure to maintain honesty" during the investigation. Kinnan was notified by the district, that it recommended he be suspended for 10 days and demoted from his position at the school as business manager. Also the school's athletic director, Kinnan resigned from that position on the same day. Gagnon was also suspended for 10 days without pay as part of the baseball investigation, pending a return to the district. In addition to Gagnon being suspended without pay a termination of his job was also recommended by the district, for his role in the Rod Frazier case. Gagnon was charged with failing to report child abuse at the hands of a Frazier. He was acquitted, and sued the Manatee School District for defaming him, landing a $400,000 settlement.

The new Principle Scarborough is no stranger to football controversary in that she was the principle at Braden River when the friction between Venice HS and Braden River coaching staffs went on......... as well as Braden River being involved with housing players to maintain player eligibility.

Is it me or is there an abnormal amount of negative activity within Manatee HS athletic department recently the last 5-15 years? There's saying I used to say to colleagues about what I generally considered inept Postal Management in Atlanta "The names and faces may change, but the games they stay the same!" That in as far as recent history at Manatee seems to be true with Manatee HS and its administrative staff too. I recall going back to the 70's when Wesley Choate was the principle at Manatee HS for 10+ years, and was a coach/teacher at Manatee HS for a number of years before that coaching under Manatee HBC Wheeler Leath for which the original Manatee field house is named for. Mr. Choate who was my principal when I attended Manatee, and was there long enough as Principal to have hired I believe 5 different football coaches at Manatee (Coaches Mackie, Short, Plaster, James, and Kinnan). Now you have folks coming and going for stays of no longer than 4 years......that has to work against community continuity long-term as well as the continuity among the school's administrative staff?

Last edited:
Mr. Choate who was my principal when I attended Manatee, and was there long enough as Principal to have hired I believe 5 different football coaches at Manatee (Coaches Mackie, Short, Plaster, James, and Kinnan). Now you have folks coming and going for stays of no longer than 4 years......that has to work against community continuity long-term as well as the continuity among the school's administrative staff?
That also lends itself to power struggles between different factions. Not that different from politics today; politicians don't compromise or work "across the isle" like they used to, instead they fight it out to consolidate power.

Look what's going on in Georgia with traditional power, Valdosta High School. Look what went on at Venice with Peacock's firing then coming back. People want to win and there are always groups that will support that, right or wrong - there just aren't that many coaches that can build a dynasty.

Last edited:

39-12 or .764 overall
8-3 or .727 playoffs
1 final four
1 runner up

Kinnan's last 4 years
52-6 or .896 overall
12-3 or .800 playoffs
2 final fours
1 state championship

Booth's 3 years
28-9 or .756 overall
4-3 or .571 playoffs
1 final four

Shakir's 4 years
29-16 or .644 overall
3-4 or .428 playoffs

Howie was fired due to kinnan sabotaging him

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT