ADVERTISEMENT

Manatee 56 Tampa Newsome 13 final

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
Manatee spotted Newsome 13 points to start the game and the ended the game with another running clock by scoring the next 56 points. Manatee looked rough the entire game, but Managed enough big plays to make the final score look much easier than it how the game was actually played.

Go Canes Go!

Wanted to add that I believe in watching Manatee football going back to the 60's, that I believe coach Booth has perhaps the best over-all group of WR's ever! The trio Milton,Carter, and Price along with a couple of nice under classmen, can do it all. AJ isnt a complete QB, but his play at the QB position has vastly improved over last year, and its made the Manatee offense much more dynamic. Herad one of the Manatee broadcasting crew mention last night, that he had concerns about the Manatee OL going into the playoffs......(which is something I've been saying all saying all season). Its just been 2 seasons but I believe Booth has a better handle on evaluating players and then playing them where their individual talents can excell, something I felt on numerous ocassions coach Kinnan lacked on.

Also heard the broadcasting crew complain about going to the 3-4 defensive over the 4-3. While I shared those same sentiments at the beginning of the season, because of the defensive line personnel Manatee had coming into the season, I believe now the player personnel fits the 3-4 perfectly at this point of the season.

Booth has what it takes to coach at a upper level, but he's going to have to pickup his game considerbly from a over-all programm standpoint moving forward. There's enough skilled talent rising and returning next year for Manatee, but not to sure what Booth will have along the offensive and defensive lines next year. I miss seeing the physically intimidating line play, that typlified most Manatee teams of the past.

Because the lack of over-all physicality along Manatee's lines, Im not sure what to expet from Manatee moving into the playoffs. Manatee can be awfully explosive because of its skilled talent and I can easily see them advancing to a 3rd or 4th round, but I can see them also exiting early too. With the right kind of breaks that can happen sometimes......who knows

Go Canes Go!

Can you give examples of how kinnan didn't evaluate talent very well? And where the new coach has? Just curious

I'll give a few eamples..........

The guy coaching Manatee now.....guess what he wasn't a starter ever at Manatee but was an All-American in college and was invited to try out as a pro too.

1985- if not for Rodney Sanders getting thrown off the team Carl May would have never gotten a chance to be a starter........let alone lead Manatee to a state title

Patrick Mcneal at DE his soph and Jr season made a whole lot of sense........

Macmanus (cant remember if it was 86 or 87)... at QB was another instance of Coach Kinnan sticking with guy come hell or high water he was terrible at QB and there were other options

There are others but theses come immediately to mind and I didnt eve have to mention a certain QB from 2007-2009 seasons...(I'll leave the 2006 season because Kinnan really had no other choice that season)

Go Canes Go!

From my understanding that certain guy is the only person who kept it close with STA hey I think he 1-1 against them compared to the guy behind him who is 0-2 against them

Booman:
The other guy behind him QB'd Manatee every single year he was a starter to the playoffs...(something the other certian QB didnt do even though he had all kinds of D-1 talent around him his JR year), delivered Manatee its 5th state title.....(Something the other certain QB never did) and had a over-all 11-2 playoff record while while the other certain QB had only a 8-3 record........ with 2 of those playoffs wins which required Kinnan to replace him with a freshman at one point during the FT Myers win because he was playing so poorly.....Manatee was behind by 2 scores at that point. The freshman promply leads Manatee down the field for a TD, and what does Kinnan do? Pulls the freshman QB. Then in that big win against STA you seem to forget Kinnan pulled him once again during the final 2 + minutes of the game and inserted someone else to protect the ball and the game..........

Since you chose to draw the comparasion of these 2, lets look at the stats:

2006-2009 (4 year starter) 39 wins versus 12 loses (no state title)
Passing - 454/796 for Yards 5972 (57%) 49 TD's/25 INT's
Rushing - 341 rushes for 1095 yards (23 -TD's)

2010-2012 (3 years starter) 39 wins versus 4 loses (2011 state title)
Passing - 579/795 for 7848 yards (73%) 80 TD's/11 INT's
Rushing - 421 rushes for 2065 yards (32 - TD's)

Go Canes Go

Last edited:
Actually manatee has 6 state titles or that's what it says on the jumbo tron

They're counting a undefeated team from the early 1900's. No playoffs then....so its mythical at best. Team was unscored upon and played mostly teams that would have comprised of the eventual Western Conferance of the 50's and 60's.

Go Canes Go!

The defensive line will at the very least have significant size next season. One of them is a 300 pound DT. If you're going to run a 3-4, you will need someone like that in the middle. Not sure about the offensive line. We'll obviously have a better idea come spring.

As for the playoffs, this team is a mystery to me too. We could go out in round one, or we could win the whole thing. It'll be fun to watch. Go Canes Go!

Booman:
The other guy behind him QB'd Manatee every single year he was a starter to the playoffs...(something the other certian QB didnt do even though he had all kinds of D-1 talent around him his JR year), delivered Manatee its 5th state title.....(Something the other certain QB never did) and had a over-all 11-2 playoff record while while the other certain QB had only a 8-3 record........ with 2 of those playoffs wins which required Kinnan to replace him with a freshman at one point during the FT Myers win because he was playing so poorly.....Manatee was behind by 2 scores at that point. The freshman promply leads Manatee down the field for a TD, and what does Kinnan do? Pulls the freshman QB. Then in that big win against STA you seem to forget Kinnan pulled him once again during the final 2 + minutes of the game and inserted someone else to protect the ball and the game..........

Since you chose to draw the comparasion of these 2, lets look at the stats:

2006-2009 (4 year starter) 39 wins versus 12 loses (no state title)
Passing - 454/796 for Yards 5972 (57%) 49 TD's/25 INT's
Rushing - 341 rushes for 1095 yards (23 -TD's)

2010-2012 (3 years starter) 39 wins versus 4 loses (2011 state title)
Passing - 579/795 for 7848 yards (73%) 80 TD's/11 INT's
Rushing - 421 rushes for 2065 yards (32 - TD's)

Go Canes Go

How th heck did this go from Kinnan/Booth to Brion/Cord?!!?!??!

Let's be honest about this whole Brion vs. Cord debate.

Brion had a chance at a championship after we beat STA at home only to go on and face a loaded Tampa Plant team that ran over us with Mr. Wilder. Yes, Brion had tons of talent around him and didn't win a state title but the road was a little tougher. Don't forget that if Kinnan doesn't go for the jugular down in Lauderdale up 7 late in the game, we would have never watched Major Wright pick the pass off and nearly take it to the house with Hankerson scoring two plays later. Manatee then lost that one in double overtime and Joe admitted that loss was all on him.

Cord won a state title in his three years at QB but he had just as much talent around him as Brion did. The only difference is that Manatee didn't have to go on the road to play STA and got a home game against Dwyer. Who knows what happens if their QB doesn't go down and has to come out for that fourth quarter drive due to the injury timeout as the panthers were moving the chains with ease.

So, tell me again how this went from one debate to another debate that seems to be irrelevant to this thread?

Did we forget that the starter over Booth is actually on his staff?

It was one play (and 4th down at that with either 5 or 6 yards to go), that Faton Bauta was out. So your portrayal of Dwyer moving down the field with ease......is a clear distortion on your part of the actual facts of how that game ended. If you really wanted to weigh in on one play changing the outcome of the game W. Smith fumble recovery, that he ran back for a TD was the difference in that game.

As far as the STA game..............yeah that was the game STA played the entire game without their starting QB and still won, but Dwyer would have won..... but lost because Bauta wasn't in the game for that one 4th down play. I love the logic!

Go Canes Go!

Oh boy here goes Gatorman with his obsession of despise for Carnes.. Boy your like a bulldog on a rib bone when it comes to that guy LOL.

Reactions: fla331boy
That Dwyer game was a battle. D White was injured early in the game(ankle) and was playing with both labrum torn. That last drive was one of those lucky breaks you have to have to make a run. Most state runs have a lucky break somewhere in the playoffs.

How th heck did this go from Kinnan/Booth to Brion/Cord?!!?!??!

Let's be honest about this whole Brion vs. Cord debate.

Brion had a chance at a championship after we beat STA at home only to go on and face a loaded Tampa Plant team that ran over us with Mr. Wilder. Yes, Brion had tons of talent around him and didn't win a state title but the road was a little tougher. Don't forget that if Kinnan doesn't go for the jugular down in Lauderdale up 7 late in the game, we would have never watched Major Wright pick the pass off and nearly take it to the house with Hankerson scoring two plays later. Manatee then lost that one in double overtime and Joe admitted that loss was all on him.

Cord won a state title in his three years at QB but he had just as much talent around him as Brion did. The only difference is that Manatee didn't have to go on the road to play STA and got a home game against Dwyer. Who knows what happens if their QB doesn't go down and has to come out for that fourth quarter drive due to the injury timeout as the panthers were moving the chains with ease.
It was one play (and 4th down at that with either 5 or 6 yards to go), that Faton Bauta was out. So your portrayal of Dwyer moving down the field with ease......is a clear distortion on your part of the actual facts of how that game ended. If you really wanted to weigh in on one play changing the outcome of the game W. Smith fumble recovery, that he ran back for a TD was the difference in that game.

As far as the STA game..............yeah that was the game STA played the entire game without their starting QB and still won, but Dwyer would have won..... but lost because Bauta wasn't in the game for that one 4th down play. I love the logic!

Oh boy here goes Gatorman with his obsession of despise for Carnes.. Boy your like a bulldog on a rib bone when it comes to that guy LOL.
Two facts of life:
1. The Civil War ain't never gonna end.
2. Manatee fans ain't never gonna agree on nothin.

That's why, if he continue to read this message board, Nu'Trelle never gonna be able to give up Beefeater's.

That Dwyer game was a battle. D White was injured early in the game(ankle) and was playing with both labrum torn. That last drive was one of those lucky breaks you have to have to make a run. Most state runs have a lucky break somewhere in the playoffs.
How'd D White do in college......by his senior year he had turned into a very good player!

Go Canes Go!

Yea but not mentoring his name is like FSU fans only referring to the player formally known as 22 as 22. See he was so bad I can't even mention his name but we know who that is.

Go Canes Go!

It was actually three yards and yeah I would say that Bauta would have made the difference in that game would he have been in there.

If you would like a link to see how easy they got down the field to the 19 yard line late in the game, let me know. Puyol came into the game for that curtial play and made a terrible lateral pass that allowed Manatee to seal the game with Dwyer only having one timeout left.

LINK Just in case you need to review.

Which game are you referring to in terms of STA? If you are talking about the 2006 2OT loss at Piccalo, Sean could have starter on any team and Wes was just a beast. Not sure which game you are talking about.

Let's be honest, it's not easy to go into Piccalo and beat any STA team period.

It was actually three yards and yeah I would say that Bauta would have made the difference in that game would he have been in there.

If you would like a link to see how easy they got down the field to the 19 yard line late in the game, let me know. Puyol came into the game for that curtial play and made a terrible lateral pass that allowed Manatee to seal the game with Dwyer only having one timeout left.

LINK Just in case you need to review.

Which game are you referring to in terms of STA? If you are talking about the 2006 2OT loss at Piccalo, Sean could have starter on any team and Wes was just a beast. Not sure which game you are talking about.

Let's be honest, it's not easy to go into Piccalo and beat any STA team period.

Man you just cant help yourself......take a look at the video link I provided at the 2:59 mark it was at least 5 yards as I originally stated. And the ball was right in the receiver's hands, he just flat out dropped it. But I know your into the whole "woulda, coulds, shoulda", but you know what......it didn't happen.

And that was the game STA game I'm referring to............but again you run with what you believe about the second string STA QB.

Go Canes Go!

Man you just cant help yourself......take a look at the video link I provided at the 2:59 mark it was at least 5 yards as I originally stated. And the ball was right in the receiver's hands, he just flat out dropped it. But I know your into the whole "woulda, coulds, shoulda", but you know what......it didn't happen.

And that was the game STA game I'm referring to............but again you run with what you believe about the second string STA QB.

Go Canes Go!

I say a long 3.

They say four LINK

They said five yards LINK

And you say at least five.

I guess we all had a different view of the game and the yardage.

You're right, not if ands or buts about it Johnnie just flat out dropped that ball.

So, how does Manatee finish this season?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT