ADVERTISEMENT

Manatee 0 STA 45 Final

gatorman001

Aug 31, 2003
STA scored its 1st TD of the night after the initial 42 seconds of the game had ticked off the clock, and it never got any better for Manatee as the majority of the second half was played with a running clock. For myself as I watched I couldn't help but reflect back to the 1992 state championship game against Dillard HS, and remember how talented and blessed with size that Dillard team was! Yet despite all that size and talent it was also a very poorly coached team and it never had a chance against that well coached Joe Kinnan's Manatee HS football team that night at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

The STA coaching staff had game planned for the Manatee offense and defense, and .............well the Manatee staff appeared to have not done the same. STA played with a cocky confidence....................Manatee acted and played like it was happy just to be there for the opportunity to make some memories (The very little good, and the all too often bad and the ugly) ! I'll give a hat tip in acknowledging that the Manatee HBC has brought in some serious talent to Manatee HS the last 2 years, its just a crying shame the kids that were brought in, aren't getting anything in the way of competent coaching......because on this night the STA coaching staff exposed this Manatee staff as not being ready for prime time and I'm really not sure the current staff ever will be.

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
Nu'Trelle was there for the Dillard-Manatee game in '92. It was his first Championship weekend. Why didn't you come over and say "Hello"?

"Why didn't you come over and say "Hello?"

My Brother who hadn't been back state side very long from Iraq, where he participated in operation Desert Storm, made the trip down from NC to meet up for the game. Additionally the internet and its dial-up modems hadn't burst onto the scene at that point. While your reputation in Lee County with the women was well known already at that point....(based on the stories you've shared here), it wasn't enough unfortunately to gain my attention in Manatee County. So without the benefit of the internet or being aware of your earned reputation in Lee County, unless our paths crossed via random circumstance I don't believe coming over to say hello, was ever in the cards at that point.

Go Canes Go!

My Brother who hadn't been back state side very long from Iraq, where he participated in operation Desert Storm, made the trip down from NC to meet up for the game. Additionally the internet and its dial-up modems hadn't burst onto the scene at that point. While your reputation in Lee County with the women was well known already at that point....(based on the stories you've shared here), it wasn't enough unfortunately to gain my attention in Manatee County. So without the benefit of the internet or being aware of your earned reputation in Lee County, unless our paths crossed via random circumstance I don't believe coming over to say hello, was ever in the cards at that point.
Nu'Trelle understand all that, but he was right there sitting on the Manatee side. At minimum, you could have at lease stop eatin your cotton candy an walk up to said hello. How long could that have took?

To SK: The Manatee side was the same side of the field where Kinnan and all of his players were standing. But everything's cool, SK, we're used to it. You bin confused on here since November 29, 2002. :rolleyes:

For gatorman001: Off the '92 team, did #31 Justin Stevens (ILB/FB) end up playing college ball somewhere?

Justin Stephens #31 was a OLB.......For a short time at the University of Nebraska, not sure if he ever completed a 4 year degree after he left Nebraska? Justin had a trade mark homerun swing, followed by a salute every time he made a big play. Chris Smith #52 was a MLB went to the University of Minnesota, for some reason I'm thinking he didn't stay there to complete 4 year degree there either? Steve Gulash (thinking his number was #71?) DT went on to play at Eastern Kentucky.....(I believe) and completed his 4 year degree there. He came back to Manatee to coach the DL and was nationally respected for his coaching technique on the DL. When everything blew up with Joe Kinnan, he left too (was somehow alledged to have been involved with the Rod Frazier deal.....but later won something legally against the Manatee County School board over the incident).........and then coached..... I believe at St Stephens HS for a few years, during the time St Stephens won 2 consecutive state tiles in the Sunshine Independent league.

As far a the stadium thing at Hawkins stadium, not sure when the press box side became the visitors side of the field, I know I recall as a 6-8 year old in the 60's and sitting in the Press Box with my Grandfather it was the visitor side then as well. Sometime during the 60's the junior high school "Walker Jr High Tornados" was shut down and that campus became the south campus of Manatee HS (primarily used for 9th and 10th grade classes). North Campus (primarily used for 11th and 12th grade classes) were the campus buildings separated by 11th Ave West. The South Campus buildings no longer exist, as the only remaining building is what was the Basketball Gym. I'm thinking that when the stadium seating was expanded, the only side the would allow for seating expansion at the time due to the fixed position of stadium lighting poles on the north side of the stadium was the south side of the stadium. Because you'd expect the home team to draw the greater number of fans, and because there were more seats available on the south side of the stadium it naturally became the home side.

Go Canes Go!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT